[lttng-dev] Odd dependency for lttng-ust - resolved

Christian Babeux christian.babeux at efficios.com
Fri Jan 25 13:48:28 EST 2013

>    Nope, my /usr/lib is clean.  The problem is unavoidable on a clean system because lttng-tools's README lists GNU Gold (2.22 or better) in its requirements when building from git.  On the other hand, if you had a liburcu package installed and it were not too old, configure's checks would be passed.  You could run into trouble during the make though, depending on which liburcu (/usr/lib vs. /usr/local/lib) it linked against.  But that scenario is moot as Mathieu rightly warned against mixing old and new stuff together.

The README has been clarified in commit
ee10cdeb41ab238ebdc9ae3d1b2a4dbbe930df9b.

The bottom line is:

With GNU ld: ./configure *should* work as is if "/usr/local/lib" is
correctly specified in /etc/ld.so.conf. Note that this is
_distribution specific_ and you might have to use
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib ./configure on other distros.

With GNU Gold: Use LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib ./configure if
dependencies have been installed in /usr/local/*.

Thanks,

Christian