[lttng-dev] Odd dependency for lttng-ust - resolved

Thibault, Daniel Daniel.Thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Jan 25 13:26:47 EST 2013

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Alexandre Montplaisir [mailto:alexmonthy at voxpopuli.im]
Envoyé : 25 janvier 2013 12:57

On 13-01-25 12:32 PM, Thibault, Daniel wrote:
> [...]
>    Until this old gold bug is fixed (which looks unlikely considering its age), maybe each package's configure.ac could be made to explicitly look into /usr/local/lib when /lib and /usr/lib fail?  Or the ReadMe files of lttng-ust and lttng-tools could be modified to mention the workaround?

I'm not sure if they are any distro that uses gold by default, instead of the more venerable/tested "ld". I know Ubuntu doesn't.

I think in your case the problem was because you still had the libraries from Ubuntu's older package installed in /usr/lib, and as you mentioned, the linker looks in that location before trying /usr/local/lib. In such a "custom" setup, you would need to override LDFLAGS. But someone that has nothing installed in /usr/lib should get the libraries in /usr/local/lib selected by the linker automatically.

Cheers,
Alexandre
-----Fin du message d'origine-----

   Nope, my /usr/lib is clean.  The problem is unavoidable on a clean system because lttng-tools's README lists GNU Gold (2.22 or better) in its requirements when building from git.  On the other hand, if you had a liburcu package installed and it were not too old, configure's checks would be passed.  You could run into trouble during the make though, depending on which liburcu (/usr/lib vs. /usr/local/lib) it linked against.  But that scenario is moot as Mathieu rightly warned against mixing old and new stuff together.

   "But someone that has nothing installed in /usr/lib should get the libraries in /usr/local/lib selected by the linker automatically."  Only if using ld.bfd or if binutils-gold were not installed -in which latter case one would not be following the instructions.  (See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5873516/shared-library-in-usr-local-lib-not-found for a very similar problem and its diagnostic; this is the page that clinched it for me)

Daniel U. Thibault
R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) / Defence R&D Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier)
Cyber sécurité pour les missions essentielles (CME) / Mission Critical Cyber Security (MCCS)
Protection des systèmes et contremesures (PSC) / Systems Protection & Countermeasures (SPC)
2459 route de la Bravoure
Québec, QC  G3J 1X5
CANADA
Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245
Fax : (418) 844-4538
[Valcartier]\\vsi-wdut-o980, [Secteur-SI]\\edge
NAC : 918V QSDJ <http://www.travelgis.com/map.asp?addr=918V%20QSDJ>
Gouvernement du Canada / Government of Canada
<http://www.valcartier.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/>
 LinkedIn: <http://ca.linkedin.com/in/daniel-u-thibault/>
 Research Gate: <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Daniel_Thibault/>