[lttng-dev] lttng-consumerd crash on aarch64 due to x86 arch specific optimization

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Tue Jan 31 11:18:11 EST 2023

On 2023-01-31 11:08, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> On 2023-01-30 01:50, Beckius, Mikael via lttng-dev wrote:
>> Hello Matthieu!
>>
>> I have looked at this in place of Anders and as far as I can tell this
>> is not an arm64 issue but an arm issue. And even on arm
>> __ARM_FEATURE_UNALIGNED is 1 so it seems the problem only occurs if
>> size equals 8.
>
> So for ARM, perhaps we should do the following in include/lttng/ust-arch.h:
>
> #if defined(LTTNG_UST_ARCH_ARM) && defined(__ARM_FEATURE_UNALIGNED)
> #define LTTNG_UST_ARCH_HAS_EFFICIENT_UNALIGNED_ACCESS 1
> #endif
>
> And refer to
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/ARM-Options.html#ARM-Options
>
> Based on that documentation, it is possible to build with
> -mno-unaligned-access,
> and for all pre-ARMv6, all ARMv6-M and for ARMv8-M Baseline architectures,
> unaligned accesses are not enabled.
>
> I would only push this kind of change into the master branch though, due to
> its impact and the fact that this is only a performance improvement.

But setting LTTNG_UST_ARCH_HAS_EFFICIENT_UNALIGNED_ACCESS 1 for arm32
when __ARM_FEATURE_UNALIGNED is defined would still cause issues for
8-byte lttng_inline_memcpy with my proposed patch right ?

AFAIU 32-bit arm with __ARM_FEATURE_UNALIGNED has unaligned accesses for
2 and 4 bytes accesses, but somehow traps for unaligned 8-bytes
accesses ?

https://www.efficios.com