[lttng-dev] Syntax error running lttng

Jonathan Rajotte-Julien jonathan.rajotte-julien at efficios.com
Wed Jun 2 12:31:51 EDT 2021

Hi,

Side note: not sure what is wrong with my email setup or the mailing list but I
cannot see the reply you sent in my email folder, but it is available here:

https://lists.lttng.org/pipermail/lttng-dev/2021-June/030021.html

In any case, this look strangely like the problem seen in [1][2]. Considering
your cross compilation setup I would take a deeper look at the generated
executable both locally and when on the device.
The `file` command is a must here I think.

[1] https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/336436/syntax-error-unexpected-when-execute-a-compiled-c-program
[2] https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/499641/syntax-error-unexpected-when-execute-a-cross-compiled-pjsip-binary-in-arm

Not sure if this is exactly your problem. `strace` might give a bit more info
on what is going on and at least see if the problem is lttng or anything else.

Cheers

On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 10:48:13AM +1000, Merlin via lttng-dev wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have compiled LTTNG for ARM but when I try to run the executable, I get
> this error:
>

> lttng: line 1: syntax error: unexpected "("
>

> E.G.        lttng create my-kernel-session
> --output=/mnt/sd1/nfs/temp/Innotech/lttng/my-kernel-trace
>
> lttng list --kernel
>
> lttng-sessiond
>
>   all produce the same error.
>

> There were no compiler errors.  I am at a loss to understand what it is
> complaining about from the message.
>

> Modules seem to load fine.
>

> ~ # lsmod
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: G
>
> lttng_ring_buffer_client_discard    20480  0
>
> lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_discard    20480  0
>
> lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_mmap_client    16384  0
>
> lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_client    16384  0
>
> lttng_ring_buffer_event_notifier_client    16384  0
>
> lttng_ring_buffer_client_overwrite    20480  0
>
> lttng_tracer         1167360  6
> lttng_ring_buffer_client_discard,lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_discard,lttng
> _ring_buffer_metadata_mmap_client,lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_client,lttng_ri
> ng_buffer_event_notifier_client,lttng_ring_buffer_client_overwrite
>
> lttng_kprobes          16384  1 lttng_tracer
>
> lttng_lib_ring_buffer    57344  7
> lttng_ring_buffer_client_discard,lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_discard,lttng
> _ring_buffer_metadata_mmap_client,lttng_ring_buffer_metadata_client,lttng_ri
> ng_buffer_event_notifier_client,lttng_ring_buffer_client_overwrite,lttng_tra
> cer
>
> lttng_kretprobes       16384  1 lttng_tracer
>
> lttng_statedump        20480  1 lttng_tracer
>
> lttng_wrapper          16384  2 lttng_tracer,lttng_statedump
>
> lttng_clock            16384  4
> lttng_ring_buffer_client_discard,lttng_ring_buffer_client_mmap_discard,lttng
> _ring_buffer_client_overwrite,lttng_tracer
>

> Any suggestions appreciated.
>

> Thank you.
>

> Merlin

Jonathan Rajotte-Julien