[lttng-dev] Creating custom application

Jonathan Rajotte-Julien jonathan.rajotte-julien at efficios.com
Tue Mar 26 11:29:42 EDT 2019

Hi Mosleh,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 11:11:41AM -0400, Mosleh Uddin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working with an embedded system and for security purposes I don't
> necessarily want the user to have the ability to execute lttng commands
> (lttng-sessiond, lttng create, etc.). In order to create a session/start I
> am creating a custom application which will communicate through my
> application via a socket. This way my application only control lttng
> functionalities.
>
> I was wondering if you guys can direct me to some documentation where I can
> understand how I can approach creating a session and implementing the
> functionalities that commands like (lttng-sessiond, lttng create and lttng
> start) provide. Thank you for any information.

Note that lttng-sessiond can be started with a specific group id for "control"
purpose that allow only users of the group to control it. From there you could
have a simple popen based custom application that run the cli client. There are
multiple ways to achieve what you are looking for.

We also expose an API/lib (liblttng-ctl) to talk to the sessiond [1].

The best documentation on how to use this API is the headers [1] and the command
line client implementation [3].

[1] https://github.com/lttng/lttng-tools/tree/master/include/lttng
[2] https://github.com/lttng/lttng-tools/tree/master/src/bin/lttng
    https://github.com/lttng/lttng-tools/tree/master/src/bin/lttng/commands