[lttng-dev] Contributing to LTTng Open Source Community

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Mon May 28 12:38:35 EDT 2018

----- On May 26, 2018, at 2:58 AM, Santhosh Kumar Gunturu <santhosh.978.462 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,

> From last few months, I have been thinking of contributing to open-source
> community. I am interested in doing so but when never found the correct
> platform to do so.

> Whatever I learn in my daily life as an Engineer, I can contribute to something
> signficant through this opensource community.

> While I have started working on Performance Optimization for CFM Protocol in
> Carrier Ethernet in networking industry. I came across this LTTng. So I have
> seen significant contributions going on into LTTng.

> Is there any opportunity that I can join this community ?
> If not, What can I do to contributing to such communities in future ?

Hi!

Thanks for your interest in our project.

Since you come from the networking industry, we are always very much interested to discuss the use-cases
you have. It helps us drive the features in a direction that is most useful for our user base. What is missing
in LTTng today to make it more useful for you ?

If you have specific feature ideas in mind, feel free to post them on the mailing list of on the
LTTng support tracker (https://bugs.lttng.org) under the "Features" category.

If you want to contribute code, I would recommend to start small, so we can provide feedback on
a small contribution as you familiarize yourself with the project. If it's a feature contribution, make sure
to discuss it with us on the mailing list or IRC before spending too much time implementing, just to make
sure there is no showstopper concern with the idea.

Best regards,