[lttng-dev] Installing LTTNG on beaglebone black or rasberry pi

Jonathan Rajotte Julien Jonathan.rajotte-julien at efficios.com
Thu Nov 17 21:45:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 2016-11-17 04:24 PM, Nwafor, Ebelechukwu wrote:
> Hi Jonathan. Thank you for your response.
>
> On the beaglebone black, i tried building lttng-tools,
> lttng-modules-dkms and lttng-ust-dev from source v2.8.1 by following
> the documentation. lttng-modules-dkms runs fine but the module does
> not show up on the list of running modules when i issue an lsmod
> command. Also, i run into errors while trying to build and compile
> lttng-tools. Beaglebone black runs on debian. Linux beaglebone
> 3.8.13-bone70 #1 SMP Fri Jan 23 02:15:42 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

What errors do you see when building lttng-tools?

> On the raspberry pi, I use the commands, apt-get install
> lttng-modules-dkms lttng-tools lttng-ust-dev. Everything seems to work
> fine with the exception of lttng-modules-dkms which does not show up
> on the list on running modules. Also, every time i try to view
> available kernel events, it comes up with an error saying unable to
> list kernel events: kernel tracer not available. The LTTNG version
> installed using apt-get is 2.7.1. I am running ubuntu mate OS. Below
> are the output while installing lttng-modules-dkms

Well as the error points out do you have the kernel tracer started?

ps -aux | grep lttng-sessiond

Does the user trying to use lttng is part of the tracing group or is root ?

You can start lttng-sessiond with the -vvv options make sure to be root
when doing so lttng-sessiond load the tracing modules.

Since you installed it from apt-get the lttng-tools package provide a
daemon for lttng-sessiond so before testing manually:

service lttng-sessiond stop

> root at ebele-desktop:~# apt-get install lttng-modules-dkms
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> lttng-modules-dkms is already the newest version (2.7.1-1).
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
> 2 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
> Setting up linux-headers-4.4.0-22 (4.4.0-22.40) ...
> Setting up lttng-modules-dkms (2.7.1-1) ...
> First Installation: checking all kernels...
> dpkg: warning: version '*-*' has bad syntax: version number does not
> start with digit
> It is likely that 4.4.30-v7+ belongs to a chroot's host
> Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
> kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.

Could you make sure that your linux header for the running kernel are
installed.

4.4.30-v7+ seems like a custom kernel install.

> root at ebele-desktop:~#
>

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Jonathan Rajotte
> <jonathan.r.julien at gmail.com <mailto:jonathan.r.julien at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Could you be a bit more precise regarding which part of the
>     documentation does not work ?
>
>     How did you install it ? Distribution packages ? From sources ?
>     Cross compiled ?
>
>     What is your setup ? Raspian for the Pi ? Custom kernel image ?
>
>     Cheers
>
>     On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Nwafor, Ebelechukwu
>     <ebelechukwu.nwafor at bison.howard.edu
>     <mailto:ebelechukwu.nwafor at bison.howard.edu>> wrote:
>
>         Hello.
>
>         I am trying to install LTTNG tracing tool on raspberry pi and
>         beaglebone black board.The official LTTNG documentation does
>         not work on these devices. Does anyone know of any tutorial
>         that can help me accomplish this? Thanks.
>
>         --
>         Ebelechukwu Nwafor,
>         Graduate Student,
>         Howard University.