[lttng-dev] Errors compiling converted tp file

Jérémie Galarneau jeremie.galarneau at efficios.com
Fri Dec 12 08:58:29 EST 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 5:59 AM, Yan Grange <ygrange at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let me start by thanking you for all the support you give (it is impressingly fast).
>
> So if I look in the repo, with the ppa installed, I can't find liburcu:
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lttng-ppa-precise.list
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/lttng/ppa/ubuntu precise main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/lttng/ppa/ubuntu precise main
>
> (I have asked my admin to do an apt-get update)
>
> $ apt-cache search lttng
> lttng-modules-dkms - Linux Trace Toolkit (LTTng) kernel modules (DKMS)
> lttng-tools - LTTng control and utility programs
> liblttng-ust0 - LTTng 2.0 Userspace Tracer (libraries)
> liblttng-ust-dev - LTTng 2.0 Userspace Tracer (development files)
> liblttng-ctl-dev - LTTng control and utility library (development files)
> liblttng-ctl0 - LTTng control and utility library
> liblttng-ust-java-jni - LTTng 2.0 Userspace Tracer (JNI interface)
> liblttng-ust-java - LTTng 2.0 Userspace Tracer (Java support library)
> python-lttng - Python bindings for LTTng
> liblttng-ust-ctl2 - LTTng 2.0 Userspace Tracer (trace control library)
>
> $ apt-cache search liburcu
> liburcu-dev - a userspace RCU (read-copy-update) library - development files
> liburcu1 - a userspace RCU (read-copy-update) library
> liburcu2 - a userspace RCU (read-copy-update) library
>
> So it looks like my aptitude is not aware of a package called liburcu without a postfix… Even if I'd purge and reinstall (which seems like a very good idea) I don't see if I can access the right library this way.

The packaging situation on Ubuntu 12.04 is a little confusing...

As far as I can tell, you have

liburcu (the one available in the official Ubuntu 12.04 repos, v0.6.7)
liburcu1 (v0.7.x)
liburcu2 (v0.8.x)

The LTTng version on the PPA (v2.5.x) depends on the 0.8 liburcu.
Therefore, liburcu2 is the one you want to install.

Looking at the dependencies, it seems that installing lttng-tools and
lttng-modules-dkms (from the PPA) should have you covered and install
everything you need.

CC-ing Alexandre Montplaisir who maintains most of these packages.

Regards,
Jérémie

> Cheers
>
> Yan Grange
>
> On 11 dec. 2014, at 18:08, Jérémie Galarneau <jeremie.galarneau at efficios.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Yan Grange <ygrange at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I can't really make out

>>> I tried to install the right packages but there don't seem to be packages named like that in either the ubuntu repository or the ppa provided by you.
>>>
>>> I have the following packages installed:
>>> lttng-tools
>>> liblttng-ust0
>>> liblttng-ust-dev
>>> liblttng-ust-ctl2