[lttng-dev] Unable to import big LTTng traces

Matthew Khouzam matthew.khouzam at ericsson.com
Fri Jan 4 11:43:32 EST 2013

There is a limit to the actual size of the trace being imported
depending on your ram, the parser reads an index and keeps it in memory.
This requires approx 0.004% of the trace size using default settings.
This means if you load a 1 tb trace, you need 400 mb of ram. 400 mb of
ram needs about 16k of ram plus overhead so let's say 1-2 mb. Is it a
kernel trace? if so then you're also building the state system at the
same time and the statistics... this will take a short while. Normally
under 2 minutes (I have a core 2 duo laptop with a 5400 rpm hdd and it
takes 2min for 433 mb with no state system) , so a coffee/tea break,
when you're back, you will have lightning fast views. :)

Maybe we should put a more descriptive please wait message.