[lttng-dev] Changed scheduling when using lttng

Mats Liljegren liljegren.mats2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 12:11:23 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers
<mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com> wrote:

>> > Papers on the ring buffer design exist, but not on lttng-modules per se.
>> >
>> > I think the best solution in the shortest amount of time would be (2):
>> > using deferrable timers. It's just flags to pass to timer creation.
>>
>> Doesn't that require that the system is idle from time to time? My
>> application will occupy 100% CPU until finished, and expects there are
>> no ticks during that time.
>
> AFAIU, your initial question was about not preventing the CPU from going
> to low power mode when tracing. The deferred timers should do just that.
>
> Indeed, the timers will fire on CPUs that are active.
>
> I guess what you want there is no intrusiveness for CPU shielding.
> Indeed, for this kind of use-case, you may need to centralise the timer
> handling into lttng-consumerd.

I realize I didn't express myself very clearly: There is a distinction
between "full nohz" and "nohz idle". Full nohz means that if there are
no competing threads there is no reason to have ticks, so turn ticks
off. POSIX timers complicates things, but this was the simplistic view
of it... This is currently implemented as an extension of nohz idle
although they are quite orthogonal. Full nohz has been called "full
dynticks" and "extended nohz", quite a lot of naming confusion here.

I need to read up on the code to see what seems to be the best design.
I thought just changing lib_ring_buffer_start_switch_timer() so that
it used "add_timer_on(&buff->switch_timer, 0)" would do the trick,
perhaps by using some kind of config for this case... But things are
usually not as simple as they first appear to be.

/Mats