[lttng-dev] Port to Android Linux

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Feb 24 14:46:35 EST 2012

Hello,

Le Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:54:12 -0500,
Anson Ho <ccansons at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Did anyone successfully port LTTng to Android Linux?
>
> I tried couple methods but there is no luck.  For example, I tried to
> put the ust and urcu and Android's external folder with a customized
> Android.mk.  I also tried to cross compile it independently.
> However, both methods failed due to lack of some glibc features, such
> as *splice*.
>
> If any one can give me an hint on how to port LTTng to Android, that
> would be helpful.  Thanks.

Interestingly, last week, Karim Yaghmour has given a presentation
titled "Leveraging Android's Linux heritage" at the Android Builders
Summit. One of his demonstration was LTT running on Android (Karim is
one of the initial developer of the original Linux Trace Toolkit, not
the -ng one). See slide 28 at
http://www.slideshare.net/opersys/leveraging-androids-linux-heritage. It
doesn't give a lot of information, only announces a demonstration, but
since I attended the talk, I can confirm that the demonstration was
working.

Basically, you have several choices :

 * Extend the bionic C library used in Android so that it supports all
   the C library functions used by lttng

 * Modify lttng so that it uses only C library functions that are
   provided by the bionic C library

 * Integrate the glibc C library to your Android system, it can
   perfectly live next to the bionic C library in the same system. This
   is the approach used by Karim. You can also look at Karim's new
   initiative called Cyborgstack, it provides a mechanism to integrate
   glibc in an Android system. See http://www.cyborgstack.org/. It is
   probably the easiest solution, and opens the door to integrating
   other open-source components that do not work with bionic.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons