[lttng-dev] CTF traces support in LTTV and Eclipse LTTng viewers ?

Alexandre Montplaisir alexandre.montplaisir at polymtl.ca
Mon Apr 2 10:31:47 EDT 2012

On 12-04-02 01:08 AM, rafal wrote:
> I found this info on lttng website :
> "Note: The LTTV and Eclipse LTTng viewers do not support CTF traces
> yet. Until this support comes, Babeltrace can be used to convert LTTng
> 2.0 and LTTng-UST 2.0 traces to a human-readable log."
>
> It's very frustrating that all info on LTTng website and wiki are
> rarely actual.

The website should be as much up-to-date as possible. There might be a
bunch of legacy content around, but please navigate from the front page,
and not from some random links Google decided to index (ie, what wiki?)

> Can't figure out how use this toolchain on let's say ubuntu 11.10 with
> 3.0 kernels.

>From the Download page: https://launchpad.net/~lttng/+archive/ppa
Instructions are at that link.

> Do we have to use special kernel or not?

>From the "LTTng 2.0" page:

LTTng 2.0 kernel tracer modules build against a vanilla or distribution
kernel, without need for additional patches.

> Do user space profiling works on 3.0 kernel after installing lltng
> even without restart?

The kernel and user-space parts are independent. You do not need to
restart before you can start tracing, even with the kernel.

> Can we use lttv and eclipse viewers or not ?

Not yet, as the aforementioned note indicates.
The previous versions of the viewers were mostly hard-coded to the old
trace format. They are being rewritten to be made more generic AND
support the new format. These changes are non-trivial, unfortunately.

Cheers,

--
Alexandre Montplaisir
DORSAL lab,