[lttng-dev] CTF traces support in LTTV and Eclipse LTTng viewers ?

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Mon Apr 2 10:36:29 EDT 2012

Hi,

* rafal (skrytka at gmail.com) wrote:
> I found this info on lttng website :
> "Note: The LTTV and Eclipse LTTng viewers do not support CTF traces
> yet. Until this support comes, Babeltrace can be used to convert LTTng
> 2.0 and LTTng-UST 2.0 traces to a human-readable log."
>
> It's very frustrating that all info on LTTng website and wiki are
> rarely actual.

It's been updated a few days ago. Yes, we could have done better in the
past two years. We're currently reviewing the entire website to make
sure it's current.

> Can't figure out how use this toolchain on let's say ubuntu 11.10 with
> 3.0 kernels.

lttng-modules README files states that 3.0 kernel are supported.

> Do we have to use special kernel or not?

No.

> Do user space profiling works on 3.0 kernel after installing lltng
> even without restart?

Yes. User-space tracing is independent from the kernel, it's all
done in user-space.

> Can we use lttv and eclipse viewers or not ?

Not yet. It's being currently actively worked on. It's in the process of
being ported to LTTng 2.0.

> That should,t be this way..

What would you recommend ?

Would a per-Linux-distribution list like this that indicates which
distributions and kernels are known to work make the website easier to
navigate ?

Distro           Kernel Tracing                      Userspace Tracing

Ubuntu 11.10           Y (2.6.38+ kernel)                   Y
Fedora x.y            ...                                  ...
Debian a.b            ...                                  ...