[ltt-dev] Trying to compile lttng-tools

Alexandre Montplaisir alexandre.montplaisir at polymtl.ca
Wed May 11 01:57:36 EDT 2011

On 11-05-09 05:05 PM, Daniel U. Thibault wrote:
> Alexandre Montplaisir <alexandre.montplaisir <at> polymtl.ca> writes:
>
>> If you have the PPA's deb-src line in your sources.list [1], you can use
>> "apt-get source" to download the source packages, including the debian/
>> subdirectory where the packaging configuration is stored.
>>
>> For example:
>> apt-get source tcf-lttng-agent
> Blame Ubuntu's Synaptic for this.  Because the darn thing prominently displays
> Source Code entries in its list of repositories, I've always assumed it would
> offer to download sources when available.  But it does not, forcing one to go to
> the command line.  Incredibly, I was the first to add this blatant requirement
> to Ubuntu Brainstorm.
>
> Right now "apt-get source whatever" fails with a weird error "E: Could not open
> file
> /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_main_source_Sources
> - open (2: No such file or directory)"...I'll have to see tonight if this is yet
> another artefact of our firewall.

Yeah, Synaptic doesn't offer any ways to download source packages AFAIK.
The "Software Sources" GUI makes adding PPAs easily, but it pollutes the
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory with tons of 1-line files. Now I
prefer editing sources.list by hand whenever possible.

> The tcf-lttng-agent/client codes can be reconciled with
> http://git.dorsal.polymtl.ca/?p=lttng-agent.git;a=summary based on the dates.
> It's imperfect, as "git20101122" could refer to any one of two different git
> commits for that day, and "20100921" has no match, leading one to suspect one's
> not in the right place. Presumably the latter matches the later of the two
> 20100830 commits.

The "date" in the package version refers to the date the packager did
the "git pull", independently of what commits were done. A "git
checkout" on the closest previous commit would indeed give the same
source tree.

--
Alexandre Montplaisir
DORSAL lab,