[ltt-dev] Trying to compile lttng-tools

Bernd Hufmann Bernd.Hufmann at ericsson.com
Tue May 10 08:17:48 EDT 2011

Hi Daniel

The build of LTTng/TMF within the Linux Tools Eclipse Project has been
fixed. The latest software is now included in the nightly build.
(http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/updates-nightly/).

See also below for answers to your questions.

Best Regards
Bernd

On 05/06/2011 04:49 PM, Daniel U. Thibault wrote:
> Bernd Hufmann<Bernd.Hufmann<at>  ericsson.com>  writes:
>>      What I meant was, that I installed what was provided as Ubuntu PPA
>>      by the LTTng project at that time. Actually, it was in end of
>>      January when I did it. This installation works fine for LTTng. (UST
>>      is not working at all). Then, with one of the following PPA packages
>>      the lttng-agent was broken. Some changes were made to fix these
>>      problems. I think, these changes were integrated in GIT head on
>>      March 2011-03-17, but I'm not sure. David might be able to confirm.
>     Ah yes, the Ubuntu LTTng ppa...My problem with that installation is that it
> provides no source code and even less compilation instructions, so I can't tell
> how it was built nor reproduce it from the LTTng git repositories.  It does
> report a "ust" provider which I haven't tested ---are you saying the ust side
> does not work?  Wouldn't surprise me much, as it's been broken since UST 0.9.
No, UST doesn't work at the moment.
>>> Not on the linuxtools eclipse repository
>>> (http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/update)?  That's okay,
>>> I'd much rather use a git repository anyway
>>> (http://git.eclipse.org/c/linuxtools/org.eclipse.linuxtools.git/), for
>>> weird firewall reasons...
>>      Sorry about the problem to download the Linux Tools source code. I
>>      currently try to figure out why the latest code which includes the
>>      LTTng Trace Control haven't been included in the nightly builds of
>>      Linux Tools. Once it is fixed and available I will let you know. To
>>      give you a heads-up, here is the link of the update site of the
>>      nightly builds of Linux Tools:
>>      http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/updates-nightly/
>     Don't worry about my download problems: they're nobody's fault but our
> paranoid headquarters'.  We work around it.
>
>     If updates-nightly isn't up to speed yet, I suppose
> http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/update is even worse?

This update site is for signed builds for the indigo release. I'm not
sure when this update site is actually updated. The fix for the nightly
build should make sure that the creation of this update site is also
correct.
>> For some unknown reason, the nightly builds of linuxtools for the Indigo
>> release haven't been updated recently. For now, you will need to
>> checkout the source code (from HEAD) of the LTTng Integration in Eclipse
>> to get the LTTng Trace Control.
>     Why is it the http://git.eclipse.org/c/linuxtools/org.eclipse.linuxtools.git/
> website doesn't allow snapshots? Without the snapshot facility, I don't see how
> I can checkout the code short of going through the tree and downloading each
> file in turn, a dreadful prospect. What am I missing?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the snapshot feature. I won't be able to
answer this question.

I use the EGit/JGit plug-ins within my Eclipse environment to checkout
and import the Eclipse projects. This is pretty quick. However, I don't
have the firewall issues which you have.

In case you can solve the problem with the firewall, here are the
instructions to import the LTTng projects to your workspace.
Here are the instructions: After installation of EGit/JGit, you can
clone the repository from the GIT-repository perspective. Then you will
see cloned repository "org.eclipse.linuxtools". The expand the tree, you
will see the "Working Directory" tree item. Expand that too. In there
you will find the tree item "lttng". Then select "lttng" and press the
right mouse button. In the context sensitive menu, select "Import
Project...". A dialog wizard  will open. In the dialog box use "Import
Existing Projects" and select "lttng" (if necessary). Press next, then
select all the Eclipse Projects you want to import and the press
"Finish". That's all.