[ltt-dev] Trying to compile lttng-tools

Daniel U. Thibault daniel.thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon May 9 17:05:20 EDT 2011

Alexandre Montplaisir <alexandre.montplaisir <at> polymtl.ca> writes:

> If you have the PPA's deb-src line in your sources.list [1], you can use
> "apt-get source" to download the source packages, including the debian/
> subdirectory where the packaging configuration is stored.
>
> For example:
> apt-get source tcf-lttng-agent

Blame Ubuntu's Synaptic for this.  Because the darn thing prominently displays
Source Code entries in its list of repositories, I've always assumed it would
offer to download sources when available.  But it does not, forcing one to go to
the command line.  Incredibly, I was the first to add this blatant requirement
to Ubuntu Brainstorm.

Right now "apt-get source whatever" fails with a weird error "E: Could not open
file
/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_main_source_Sources
- open (2: No such file or directory)"...I'll have to see tonight if this is yet
another artefact of our firewall.

The tcf-lttng-agent/client codes can be reconciled with
http://git.dorsal.polymtl.ca/?p=lttng-agent.git;a=summary based on the dates.
It's imperfect, as "git20101122" could refer to any one of two different git
commits for that day, and "20100921" has no match, leading one to suspect one's
not in the right place. Presumably the latter matches the later of the two
20100830 commits.

Trying to do the same with tcf ("svn20101122") fails when one goes to
http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/dsdp/org.eclipse.tm.tcf/trunk/ through the web
(browser) interface, as the latter only gives access to the current revision.
Even if it gave access to older revisions, it would remain useless since dates
are not displayed. Of course, an SVN client within Eclipse (such as Subversion)
does not suffer from such problems since it displays dates alongside revision
numbers, but our weird firewall prevents me from using this facility, sadly.