[ltt-dev] Trying to compile lttng-tools

Alexandre Montplaisir alexandre.montplaisir at polymtl.ca
Fri May 6 17:44:39 EDT 2011

Hi Bernd, Daniel,

On 11-05-06 04:49 PM, Daniel U. Thibault wrote:
> Bernd Hufmann <Bernd.Hufmann <at> ericsson.com> writes:
>>     What I meant was, that I installed what was provided as Ubuntu PPA
>>     by the LTTng project at that time. Actually, it was in end of
>>     January when I did it. This installation works fine for LTTng. (UST
>>     is not working at all). Then, with one of the following PPA packages
>>     the lttng-agent was broken. Some changes were made to fix these
>>     problems. I think, these changes were integrated in GIT head on
>>     March 2011-03-17, but I'm not sure. David might be able to confirm.
>    Ah yes, the Ubuntu LTTng ppa...My problem with that installation is that it
> provides no source code and even less compilation instructions, so I can't tell
> how it was built nor reproduce it from the LTTng git repositories.  It does
> report a "ust" provider which I haven't tested ---are you saying the ust side
> does not work?  Wouldn't surprise me much, as it's been broken since UST 0.9.

If you have the PPA's deb-src line in your sources.list [1], you can use
"apt-get source" to download the source packages, including the debian/
subdirectory where the packaging configuration is stored.

For example:
apt-get source tcf-lttng-agent

will download the source package for the lttng-agent plugin in the
current directory (no need to be root). You can then cd into the new
directory that was created and use "dpkg-buildpackage" to rebuild the .deb .

Since the tcf and tcf-plugins packages are based off git or svn
checkouts, the version number includes the date at which the checkout
was done.

And yes, as noted on the PPA's page, the tcf plugins currently don't
work with UST 0.12 (But the "kernel" provider should still work). As
soon as a new working version is released / announced, I'll update the
package and add a Natty build.

[1] For example for Lucid it would be:
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/lttng/ppa/ubuntu lucid main

Cheers,