[ltt-dev] Trying to compile lttng-tools

Daniel U. Thibault daniel.thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri May 6 16:49:59 EDT 2011

Bernd Hufmann <Bernd.Hufmann <at> ericsson.com> writes:
>     What I meant was, that I installed what was provided as Ubuntu PPA
>     by the LTTng project at that time. Actually, it was in end of
>     January when I did it. This installation works fine for LTTng. (UST
>     is not working at all). Then, with one of the following PPA packages
>     the lttng-agent was broken. Some changes were made to fix these
>     problems. I think, these changes were integrated in GIT head on
>     March 2011-03-17, but I'm not sure. David might be able to confirm.

   Ah yes, the Ubuntu LTTng ppa...My problem with that installation is that it
provides no source code and even less compilation instructions, so I can't tell
how it was built nor reproduce it from the LTTng git repositories.  It does
report a "ust" provider which I haven't tested ---are you saying the ust side
does not work?  Wouldn't surprise me much, as it's been broken since UST 0.9.

> > > The contribution was made to the linuxtools GIT repository and it's
> > > available on HEAD of the master branch. The User Guide for LTTng
> > > Integration in Eclipse has been also updated to reflect the LTTng Trace
> > > Control. Here is the link:
> > > http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/LTTng/User_Guide.
> >
> > Not on the linuxtools eclipse repository
> > (http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/update)?  That's okay,
> > I'd much rather use a git repository anyway
> > (http://git.eclipse.org/c/linuxtools/org.eclipse.linuxtools.git/), for
> > weird firewall reasons...
>
>     Sorry about the problem to download the Linux Tools source code. I
>     currently try to figure out why the latest code which includes the
>     LTTng Trace Control haven't been included in the nightly builds of
>     Linux Tools. Once it is fixed and available I will let you know. To
>     give you a heads-up, here is the link of the update site of the
>     nightly builds of Linux Tools:
>     http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/updates-nightly/

   Don't worry about my download problems: they're nobody's fault but our
paranoid headquarters'.  We work around it.

   If updates-nightly isn't up to speed yet, I suppose
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/update is even worse?

> For some unknown reason, the nightly builds of linuxtools for the Indigo
> release haven't been updated recently. For now, you will need to
> checkout the source code (from HEAD) of the LTTng Integration in Eclipse
> to get the LTTng Trace Control.

   Why is it the http://git.eclipse.org/c/linuxtools/org.eclipse.linuxtools.git/
website doesn't allow snapshots? Without the snapshot facility, I don't see how
I can checkout the code short of going through the tree and downloading each
file in turn, a dreadful prospect. What am I missing?

   At this point you're saying the eclipse LinuxTools nightly updates
(http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/updates-nightly/) do not
contain the right version (so going through that eclipse repository is out of
the question for now), leaving just the git repository
(http://git.eclipse.org/c/linuxtools/org.eclipse.linuxtools.git/)...Which I
can't figure out how to check the (correct) code out from.  I'm stuck for now,
it seems.