[ltt-dev] Trying to compile lttng-tools

Bernd Hufmann Bernd.Hufmann at ericsson.com
Fri May 6 14:03:52 EDT 2011

Hi Daniel

Sorry, if I wasn't very clear. See below for some clarification.

Best regards
Bernd

On 05/06/2011 11:55 AM, Daniel U. Thibault wrote:
> Bernd Hufmann<Bernd.Hufmann<at>  ericsson.com>  writes:
>
>> I've recently contributed a LTTng Trace Control solution to the Eclipse
>> LTTng Integration which is part of the Eclipse linuxtools project (See
>> also bugzilla bug 343438). This LTTng Trace Control solution in Eclipse
>> is based on TCF and connects to the lttng-agent. I used the last working
>> lttng-agent from last February to verify the design. Once we receive a
>> new version of the lttng-agent, the LTTng Trace Control in Eclipse will
>> be updated.
>     But the latest (tcf-)lttng-agent is dated 2011-03-23:
> http://git.dorsal.polymtl.ca/?p=lttng-agent.git;a=summary ! Additionally, the
> git repository shows lttng-agent jumped from 2010-11-22 to 2011-03-17 ---there
> is no "last February" version...Explain, please?

What I meant was, that I installed what was provided as Ubuntu PPA by
the LTTng project at that time. Actually, it was in end of January when
I did it. This installation works fine for LTTng. (UST is not working at
all). Then, with one of the following PPA packages the lttng-agent was
broken. Some changes were made to fix these problems. I think, these
changes were integrated in GIT head on March 2011-03-17, but I'm not
sure. David might be able to confirm.

>> The contribution was made to the linuxtools GIT repository and it's
>> available on HEAD of the master branch. The User Guide for LTTng
>> Integration in Eclipse has been also updated to reflect the LTTng Trace
>> Control. Here is the link:
>> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/LTTng/User_Guide.
>     Not on the linuxtools eclipse repository
> (http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/update)?  That's okay, I'd
> much rather use a git repository anyway
> (http://git.eclipse.org/c/linuxtools/org.eclipse.linuxtools.git/), for weird
> firewall reasons...
Sorry about the problem to download the Linux Tools source code. I
currently try to figure out why the latest code which includes the LTTng
Trace Control haven't been included in the nightly builds of Linux
Tools. Once it is fixed and available I will let you know. To give you a
heads-up, here is the link of the update site of the nightly builds of
Linux Tools:
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/updates-nightly/

>> To install this solution in Eclipse you require an Indigo Eclipse
>> installation (version 3.7) and the TCF plug-ins from CDT for the indigo
>> release. You can use the update site
>> http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/updates/indigo to get TCF. For
>> some unknown reason, the nightly builds of linuxtools for the Indigo
>> release haven't been updated recently. For now, you will need to
>> checkout the source code (from HEAD) of the LTTng Integration in Eclipse
>> to get the LTTng Trace Control.
>     Yet another instance of fleeing forward --it had already taken me a while to
> figure out that the packages I had been working with required Eclipse 3.6 Helios
> (at the time Ubuntu was stopped at Ganymede)...So now I start over with 3.7
> Indigo.   :-)
>
>     Now, regarding TCF from http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/updates/indigo
> : is that the same as
> http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/dsdp/org.eclipse.tm.tcf/trunk (currently at
> revision 1619, quite active)?
Yes, this is the same software. It used to be part of the DSDP Eclipse
project. For Indigo and later on, it will be delivered with CDT.

By the way, I just tried to install TCF from the update site
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/updates/indigo on top of a Helios
Eclipse installation (3.6.1) and it worked. For that, I just selected
TCF and nothing else. So, no need for you yet to move to 3.7 :-)