[ltt-dev] Trying to compile lttng-tools

David Goulet david.goulet at polymtl.ca
Thu May 5 13:52:34 EDT 2011

On 11-05-05 01:43 PM, Daniel U. Thibault wrote:
> David Goulet<david.goulet<at>  polymtl.ca>  writes:
>>
>> Note that UST is not yet ready for the lttng-tools integration... This
>> will come in a very short term probably at release version 0.14. You can
>> still use basic trace command of lttng-tools to control UST.
>>
>> But, for now, you can fix that quickly by changing this to
>> "libustctl/Makefile.am" from the git source of ust.
>>
>> -       $(top_builddir)/libustcomm/libustcomm.la
>> +       $(top_builddir)/libustcomm/libustcomm.la \
>> +       $(top_builddir)/snprintf/libustsnprintf.la
>>
>> Recompile and install ust and should be fine :)
>>
>> Don't hesitate for any other problems/comments.
>
> Thanks...Instead of changing the ust release, I could try retrograding
> lttng-tools to its last compatible commit.  Which would that be?

Actually, there is no "compatible commit" at this time for lttng-tools
and UST. This is why there is no release yet of lttng-tools. It is still
in very active development and should NOT be use in production yet.

> I guess what I really need to know is what is the most recent *coherent* set of
> commits from git.dorsal.polymtl.ca and git.lttng.org?

git.lttng.org for everything! The dorsal git is for internal development
and nothing "really" public.

> On a somewhat related topic, I've found that the git.dorsal.polymtl.ca
> lttng-agent (2011-03-23) is broken since 2011-02-25.  It relies on
> ustctl_force_switch(pid_t pid), which appeared with the 2011-01-31 ust 0.11-0.12
> commit ("Rename libustcmd to libustctl") --- this function was called
> ustcmd_force_switch before then.  But on the 2011-02-25 ust 0.11-0.12 commit
> ("libustctl: use direct socket communication"), ustctl_force_switch(pid_t pid)
> changed its signature to ustctl_force_switch(int sock, const char *trace).

Yes! It is broken and there is people working on moving it to support
the new liblttngctl (part of lttng-tools).

Cheers!
David