[ltt-dev] Problems in modprobe [ FATAL : Module not found ]

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Sun Jan 24 10:33:02 EST 2010

* soumyakanti chakraborty (soumyakanti.chakraborty at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi All
>
> This is my first mail to the list, so a quick introduction. I am *Soumya
> Kanti Chakraborty* currently pursuing MS degree at Mdh (Malardalen
> University), Sweden.
>
> From the last few days and nights I am trying to Install LTTng in my Ubuntu
> 9.10. After much efforts and recompiling today all the configurations went
> right and my kernel booted successfully. But after activating DebugFS when I
> started to modprobe for all the modules (as directed in the manual), I found
> the same error for each [ FATAL : module not found ]. When I see the path *
> /lib/modules* there is also no modules for LTTng. As what I remember during
> the *make menuconfig *I selected all the LTTng parts to be included inbuilt
> in kernel and not build as "*M*" or modules.* *I will be attaching my config
> file for reference.
>
> Kernel Version used - *2.6.30*
> LTTng patch - *0.159*
>
> I read somewhere in your earlier mailing list threads "*
> http://lists.casi.polymtl.ca/pipermail/ltt-dev/**2009**-April/**001470**
> .html*"
> that if you "have compiled those modules built into your kernel, so in that
> case you don't need to load them as module."
> *
> *
> So I just wanted to know can I move forward with installing LTTV and control
> packages even if modprobe can't find the LTT modules ?

Yep, as you see, in your config:

CONFIG_LTT=y
CONFIG_LTT_FILTER=y
CONFIG_HAVE_LTT_DUMP_TABLES=y
CONFIG_LTT_RELAY_ALLOC=y
CONFIG_LTT_RELAY_LOCKLESS=y
# CONFIG_LTT_RELAY_IRQOFF is not set
# CONFIG_LTT_RELAY_LOCKED is not set
CONFIG_LTT_SERIALIZE=y
CONFIG_LTT_FAST_SERIALIZE=y
CONFIG_LTT_TRACEPROBES=y
CONFIG_LTT_TRACE_CONTROL=y
CONFIG_LTT_TRACER=y
CONFIG_LTT_ALIGNMENT=y
CONFIG_LTT_CHECK_ARCH_EFFICIENT_UNALIGNED_ACCESS=y
# CONFIG_LTT_DEBUG_EVENT_SIZE is not set
CONFIG_LTT_USERSPACE_EVENT=y
CONFIG_LTT_VMCORE=y
CONFIG_LTT_STATEDUMP=y
CONFIG_LTT_KPROBES=y
# CONFIG_LTT_ASCII is not set
CONFIG_HAVE_IMMEDIATE=y
CONFIG_IMMEDIATE=y

LTTng is built into your kernel, so you must skip the modprobe step.

After installing ltt-control and lttv, don't forget to run ldconfig (or
reboot), so the libraries get listed.

Enjoy :-)

Mathieu