[ltt-dev] LTTng kernel tracing with -a (append) feature

srikanth krishnakar skrishnakar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 14:58:25 EST 2010

Hello Mathieu,

Thanks a lot for your quick response !!

If i interpret your pointers correctly, then I understand,
destroying+Appending trace result to previously destroyed trace session will
not write matching meta-data to old channels, right ? which further results
in difference in event sizes !

So correcting my execution script :

###################################
#!/bin/bash

mount -t debugfs debugfs /mnt/debug

ltt-armall

lttctl -C -w /home/root/trace1 trace1

lttctl -s trace1
sleep 2

lttctl -p trace1

#lttctl -D trace1  # Pause and destroy a trace named trace1 and
*<<<<< Eliminated
the Destroy operation *
sleep 10

lttctl -C trace1 -w  /home/root/trace1 *-a*    *<<< Retain append option for
continuation with existing data*

lttctl -s trace1
sleep 2

lttctl -p trace1

lttctl -D trace1

ltt-disarmall

lttv -m textDump -t /home/root/trace1

Does it looks OK ? Or still needs correction ?

And also one more small doubt regarding difference among '-c' && '-C'
options, any significant changes that result after swapping these ?

Thanks & Regards
-Srikant