[ltt-dev] LTTng kernel tracing with -a (append) feature

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at polymtl.ca
Mon Dec 20 14:27:46 EST 2010

* srikanth krishnakar (skrishnakar at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hello Mathieu,
>
> I am trying to test the append functionality of the ltt-control :
>
> ltt-control : 0.79
> lttv-0.12.31
> Linux-2.6.32.9
>
> #############################################
>
> #!/bin/sh
> mount -t debugfs debugfs /mnt/debug
> *ltt-armall*
> *
> *
> *lttctl -C -w  /home/root/trace1 trace1*
> *
> *
> *lttctl -s trace1*
> sleep 2
>
> *lttctl -p trace1*
> *
> *
> # Pause and destroy a trace named trace1 and

"-a" will not work if you stop+destroy a trace session and try appending
to the saved trace from a new trace session. The typical use-case is to
stop tracing (keeping the trace session alive), and then later on start
tracing again (within the same trace session), and there use the -a
switch to append to the existing trace files.

The problem is that the metadata (event IDs, event sizes, etc) are
supposed to be invariant across a whole trace session, but by appending
to the old trace files, you are combining two trace sessions together
with conflicting metadata.