[ltt-dev] LTTng kernel tracing with -a (append) feature

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at polymtl.ca
Mon Dec 20 15:13:08 EST 2010

* srikanth krishnakar (skrishnakar at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hello Mathieu,
>
> Thanks a lot for your quick response !!
>
> If i interpret your pointers correctly, then I understand,
> destroying+Appending trace result to previously destroyed trace session will
> not write matching meta-data to old channels, right ? which further results
> in difference in event sizes !
>
> So correcting my execution script :
>
> ###################################
> #!/bin/bash
>
> mount -t debugfs debugfs /mnt/debug
>
> ltt-armall
>
> lttctl -C -w /home/root/trace1 trace1

-C is for "create and start".

> lttctl -s trace1

so -s (start) is redundant. See lttctl --help.

> sleep 2
>
> lttctl -p trace1
>
> #lttctl -D trace1  # Pause and destroy a trace named trace1 and
> *<<<<< Eliminated
> the Destroy operation *
> sleep 10
>
> lttctl -C trace1 -w  /home/root/trace1 *-a*    *<<< Retain append option for
> continuation with existing data*

-C will likely fail here, because you are trying to "create" an already
existing trace session.

Try lttctl -s   here instead.

Note that given that you do not destroy the trace session, you don't
need to start lttd again, because it will still be listening on the file
descriptors.

What are you trying to achieve exactly ?