[ltt-dev] lttv 32 bit to 64 bit cutover version

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Thu Jul 23 09:00:37 EDT 2009

* Jim Schimandle (jvs at psyncretics.com) wrote:
> I'm compiling and running lttv 0.8.72 on a x64_64 linux box. The binary
> generated is:
>     /usr/local/bin/lttv.real: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, not stripped
>
> The program will seg fault when I select certain lines in the trace text
> window. Not every line causes a seg fault. And it also depends on the
> current position in the graphics window.
>
> I did some basic debug. The program is seg faulting in
>     lttv_traceset_context_pos_pos_compare()
>
> The data in the LttvTracesetContextPosition pos2 structure is being overwritten
> by someone.
>
> The overwrite is visible in update_current_position() and set_current_position().
>
> I did a quick scan of the warning messages being generated. Several refer
> to pointers being stored in integers of the wrong size.
>
> So I'm curious if there was a major cleanup at some point to make lttv 64 bit
> friendly. If so, what lttv version was the cleanup done in?

I don't remember exactly the versions, but yes, I happened to do a
64-bits cleanup when I got my hand on a 64-bits machine.

You could follow the compatibility list on the lttng.org website and try
LTTV 0.8.79, which seems to be the earliest LTTV version matching common
LTTng versions with LTTV 0.8.72.

Good luck,

Mathieu