[ltt-dev] LTTng roadmap (updated)

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Mon Jan 12 12:06:48 EST 2009

* Jason Baron (jbaron at redhat.com) wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 06:59:12PM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > Well well, let's see what we have left to do before releasing LTTng to
> > LKML :
> >

> hi,
>
> I find these roadmap updates quite helpful, thanks.
>
> I was just wondering what the merge plans were for 2.6.29 merge window?
> Specifically, I'd (and I think others as well) are interested in the tracepoints
> themselves, as found in include/trace/*.h and their respective source file
> locations. In addition to lttng, Systemtap, and even simple ftrace
> widgets would make use of these.

Hi Jason,

Linus has been very clear at OLS on that he does not want to merge
instrumentation if there is no tool that does *something* useful with
it.

AFAIK, Systemtap does not support getting tracepoints fields, am I
correct ?

We already merged the sched.h tracepoints because we have simple ftrace
widgets.

LTTng consists of many probe modules which expand the tracepoint
parameters into meaningful event data. They can also be the location for
probe-specific filtering (see the ext4 probe I just did for an example).
Those tracepoints have no other known users and therefore I plan to
submit the LTTng probing/buffering/trace control infrastructure before I
submit the tracepoints.

Best regards,

Mathieu