[ltt-dev] lttng development plan

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at polymtl.ca
Wed Jan 7 12:05:44 EST 2009

Hi Gui,

My short-term roadmap is (those are the show stoppers) :

- Get lttng ascii dump to work.
  - create periodical buffer flush per-cpu timer for data streaming
  - Modify LTTng/lttd/lttv to support variable-sized buffers, so we
    don't have to copy the padding. This implies creating an index in
    lttv when opening the trace to know where the subbuffer start is.
  - Waiting for Lai's channel and event ID management modifications
    following my comments. This is needed so the IDs stays valid for the
    binary->ascii in-kernel converter.
- Support dynamic frequency scaling on x86.

Other nice-to-have, but not a priority :

  - Add support for Performance Monitoring Counters (PMC) so they can be
    dumped in the traces.
  - Put back support for kernel and userspace stack dump so it can be
    connected to any given tracepoint.
  - Linux ABI for fast userspace tracing.
    - Then, add NPTL instrumentation (mutexes, phtreads).
  - Integrate LTTng with LKCD, test with kernel crash extraction,
    create tools to simplify extraction of traces from crashed kernel,
    integrate those tools to ltt-control.
  - Create an in-kernel event filtering module which connects on
    LTTng.
  - Early boot tracing.
  - Virtual machine tracing support (time synchronisation).
  - Cluster and distributed computer tracing support (time
    synchronisation).
  - Port kmemtrace, ftrace, blktrace, kvmtrace and others to LTTng.
    Each could have its own channel.

Please ask if you need more information on specific items.

Best regards, and many thanks to Fujitsu for the good work,

Mathieu