[ltt-dev] Run lttv-gui error

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Fri Apr 10 12:09:13 EDT 2009

* Shouwei Li (casmyu at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hello, friends:
> I login OS with root account. then I run lttv-gui like this:
> [root][~]# export DISPLAY=192.168.153.1:0.0
> [root][~]# lttv-gui
> I have opend xmanager(passive), then the GUI pop up.
> Then I click the Insert Tracing Control Module button(The traffic
> light), after input the root passwd, I click start button, but an
> error message box pop up, the error message is "A problem occured when
> executing the su command : Operation not permitted". Please tell me
> why and how to solve this problem.

If you are on ubuntu, su is disabled. You would have to figure out how
to reenable it using their documentation. Or you can use the lttctl
command directly to control tracing instead, as stated in the
documentation.

Also make sure your
lttv
ltt-control
lttng

versions follow the compatibility list on the lttng.org website.

> One more question: I want to monitor a program which executed from
> bash, all the processes of this program execute. Include from bash to
> execv, how the dynamic loader loaded the elf file and the other
> libraries and so on. Does lttv can be competent for this work?
> Thank you very much!

You, it will show all the system calls done by the processes you are
interested into.