[lttng-dev] Discarded events

Erica Bugden ebugden at efficios.com
Wed Aug 23 16:03:01 EDT 2023

Hello Bala,

If you'd like more information about which event types (tracepoints) are
practical for investigating which areas, the `ltting-utils` [1] project
could be useful! The repository contains scripts that record LTTng
traces. Each script is focused on a different investigation area (e.g.
network, interrupts, disk, etc).

You could use the scripts themselves and/or read the `*.profile` files
[2] to see the event types enabled by the different profiles. For
example, in the disk analysis profile (disk.profile), the following
event types are enabled:

     - block_rq_complete
     - block_rq_insert
     - block_rq_issue
     - block_bio_frontmerge

As Millian suggested, it is often best to only trace the event types you
need for the type of issue you are investigating since this increases
the accuracy of the data collected (less tracing overhead, fewer dropped
events) and also makes the trace easier to understand (less data volume,
less data noise).

Best,

Erica

----