[lttng-dev] LTTng-UST and SystemTap/DTrace

Ondřej Surý ondrej at sury.org
Mon Aug 14 11:37:08 EDT 2023

Hi,

we are in process of adding USDT probes to the BIND 9 probes and the obvious question is whether it’s possible to use the probes with the LTTng tools.

Alternatively, if there’s an easy way how to use one or another. The USDT probes are provided by SystemTap on Linux and by DTrace on BSDs and Solaris, so they are more universal for our use, but using perf record feels more complicated for us.

Ideally, we would like to give users a choice or at least have a backup plan to switch if we pick the wrong technology and it doesn’t work for us or our users.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org> (He/Him)