[lttng-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: Status of LTTng-scope and Lttng-analyses

Michael Jeanson mjeanson at efficios.com
Tue Aug 1 16:28:58 EDT 2023

On 2023-08-01 14:37, Cook, Layne via lttng-dev wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Mathieu. We are going to go with Trace Compass.
>
> Could I hit you with one more question? I've been unable to find an answer on
> the web.
>
> When I build lttng-modules using the sources and instructions from here
> <https://github.com/lttng/lttng-modules/blob/master/README.md#kernel-built-in-support>, it fails because it cannot sign the kernel modules with keys. During the  "make modules_install" phase, it gives these messages for each module:
>
> At main.c:160:
> - SSL error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:
> crypto/bio/bss_file.c:69
> - SSL error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file:
> crypto/bio/bss_file.c:76
> sign-file: certs/signing_key.pem: No such file or directory
>    INSTALL /root/lttng-modules-master/src/lib/lttng-lib-ring-buffer.ko
>
> Subsequently, the modules fail to load with an error:
> modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'lttng_ring_buffer_client_discard': Required
> key not available
>
> I'm am installing on a RHEL8 system. Is this because RHEL8 is not supported as
> an official Enterprise release? Have the keys and/or their locations changed
> for RHEL8?
>
> Thanks,
>
> LC
> layne.cook at ballaerospace.com

Hi,

This probably means that your machine is running with UEFI Secure Boot
activated, if it's the case to load out of tree modules you either need to
disable it or create a signing key, register it in the firmware and sign your
modules with it.

Here is the Redhat documentation on the subject [1].

[1]
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/managing_monitoring_and_updating_the_kernel/signing-a-kernel-and-modules-for-secure-boot_managing-monitoring-and-updating-the-kernel#signing-kernel-modules-with-the-private-key_signing-a-kernel-and-modules-for-secure-boot

Michael