[lttng-dev] profiling areas of LTTng

Kienan Stewart kstewart at efficios.com
Tue Aug 1 15:10:05 EDT 2023

Hi Bala,

On 2023-07-31 07:01, Bala Gundeboina via lttng-dev wrote:
> Hi all,
>           I are working in a Ti project, I already installed LTTng and i
> am able to trace userspace.I have a doubt regarding profiling areas of
> LTTng. In the project we are using ISP and RGB gstreamer. *can we
> profile exactly how much time taken by ISP and RGB gstreamer to process
> each frames* by using LTTng userspace tracing.

If the work being done to process each frame is being done via library
calls, it would be possible to use a custom userspace tracing helper
which instruments the necessary function calls, similar to those found
[here][1] which are loaded via LD_PRELOAD.

Otherwise you will need to modify and recompile your application to [add
tracepoints][2], or use a tool that does dynamic profiling.

> i want to know is this
> possible to profile by LTTng, what are the supported profiling areas and
> peripherals of LTTng, Sorry if any grammatical mistakes made.

It is possible to add static (user-defined) instrumentation to
applications using [liblttng-ust][3] in C/C++. [Helpers][4] are also
available for Java (JUL/Log4j) and Python applications.

Tracing of the linux kernel and various system information is possible
with kernel modules provided by [lttng-modules][5].

[1]: https://lttng.org/docs/v2.13/#doc-prebuilt-ust-helpers
[2]: https://lttng.org/docs/v2.13/#doc-c-application
[3]: https://lttng.org/docs/v2.13/#doc-lttng-ust
[4]: https://lttng.org/docs/v2.13/#doc-lttng-ust-agents