[lttng-dev] How to use lttng-live plugin with babeltrace2 python api for live LTTng trace reading?

LI Ruoxiang ruoxiang.li at my.cityu.edu.hk
Thu Aug 3 12:44:08 EDT 2023

Hi there,

I am currently involved in a project on designing a Python program for LTTng trace data analysis online. The following figure illustrates the program with a live trace data reader using babeltrace2 Python bindings (the yellow box) connected to the LTTng relay daemon. The program will read (such as periodically) the trace data from the relay daemon and then process them while the LLTng keeps tracing. The above “read” and “process” phases repeat in a loop.

[cid:4435d4c9-8a71-4667-bd25-21ef64401df9]

After reading the babeltrace2 documents, examples, and some source code, I found the lttng-live plugin may be an option for reading trace data from LTTng relay daemon. However, I didn't find any examples for using lttng-live plugin with babeltrace2 Python bindings. And I wonder if the Python bindings support the mentioned live LTTng trace reading for my case. Is it possible to receive any examples about the usage of babeltrace2’s live reading, if any?

Thank you.

Best,
Ruoxiang Li