[lttng-dev] Capturing snapshot on kernel panic

Kienan Stewart kstewart at efficios.com
Thu May 16 11:12:31 EDT 2024

Hi Damien,

I want to expand on one of the options that could work for your case.

On 5/16/24 9:37 AM, Kienan Stewart via lttng-dev wrote:
> Hi Damien,
>

> On 5/15/24 6:24 PM, Damien Berget via lttng-dev wrote:
>> Good day,
>> we have been using LTTng successfully to capture snapshots on user
>> defined tracepoints and it did provide invaluable to debug our issues.
>> Thanks to all the contributors of this project!
>>
>> We'd like to know if it would be possible to trigger on a kernel
>> panic? I might be dubiously possible as you would still need to have
>> the file-system working to write the results but I should ask.
>>

> For userspace tracing, I think the recommendation is usually to use a
> dax/pmem device and have the buffers for the session mapped there. After
> a panic, the contents of the buffers can be restored using lttng-crash[1].
>
> Note that dax/pem isn't supported by the kernel space tracer at this time.
>
> If I recall, there are other ways to things in the panic sequence (that
> aren't lttng specific), but I'm personally not as familiar with the
> details of that stage of linux.

It's possible to kexec-tools to load a new kernel post-panic[1]. If your
system uses kexec, the contents of RAM aren't necessarily flushed, and
if both the initial kernel and post-panic kernel started by kexec have
the same configuration for an emulated PMEM device using the memmap
paramenter [2,3] that region of memory can have a daxfs created in it
post-clean boot.

Note: some systems may not flush the memory during a warm reboot, but
this is dependent on the BIOS.

When your system boots you could do something like the following:

  * If it's a clean boot, create the daxfs
  * If it's an "unclean" boot (e.g. the daxfs already exists, or a
kernel parameter informs you that it started post-panic) then you can
copy/move/use lttng-crash to persistent storage for analysis
  * Start tracing using a snapshot session and the userspace buffers on
the daxfs.

In this type of situation the "snapshot" command is never invoked
directly, but the recovery of the buffers to create a snapshot is possible.

[1]: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/kdump/kdump.html
[2]:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html
[3]: