[lttng-dev] URCU background threads vs signalfd

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Mon Sep 26 08:51:08 EDT 2022

On 2022-09-23 18:05, Eric Wong wrote:
> Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com> wrote:

>>> Sure.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to detect at runtime when urcu-signal is in use
>>> so SIGRCU (SIGUSR1) doesn't get unblocked when using other flavors?
>>>
>>> I actually use SIGUSR1 in my signalfd-using codebase.
>>>
>>> I also want to remove cds_lfht_worker_init entirely since it's racy.
>>> Signal blocking needs to be done in the parent before pthread_create
>>> to avoid a window where the child has unblocked signals.
>>>
>>> Thanks.  Anyways, this is my work-in-progress:
>>>

>> Perhaps with this on top of your wip patch ? The idea is to always block all
>> signals before creating threads, and only unblock SIGRCU when registering a
>> urcu-signal thread. (compile-tested only)
>
> Thanks, that makes sense.  It passes: make check short_bench
>
> My original signalfd + urcu-bp case works well, too, with my
> constructor workarounds reverted. (I ported our patches ported to
> to 0.10.2 for Debian buster (oldstable)).
>
> I don't know if the existing test coverage is sufficient,
> though.  Waiting on regtest...

Do you mind if I fold our 2 patches together with a Co-developed-by tag
and use your Signed-off-by ?

Then the question that will arise is whether this change is sufficiently
self-contained that we can push it to stable branches, or if it's master
branch material only.

Thoughts ?

https://www.efficios.com