[lttng-dev] URCU background threads vs signalfd

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Fri Sep 23 18:05:10 EDT 2022

Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com> wrote:
> On 2022-09-23 13:55, Eric Wong wrote:
> > Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, I think you are right. The SIGRCU signal is only needed for the
> > > urcu-signal flavor though.
> > >
> > > Would you like to submit a patch ?
> >
> > Sure.
> >
> > Is there a way to detect at runtime when urcu-signal is in use
> > so SIGRCU (SIGUSR1) doesn't get unblocked when using other flavors?
> >
> > I actually use SIGUSR1 in my signalfd-using codebase.
> >
> > I also want to remove cds_lfht_worker_init entirely since it's racy.
> > Signal blocking needs to be done in the parent before pthread_create
> > to avoid a window where the child has unblocked signals.
> >
> > Thanks.  Anyways, this is my work-in-progress:
> >

> Perhaps with this on top of your wip patch ? The idea is to always block all
> signals before creating threads, and only unblock SIGRCU when registering a
> urcu-signal thread. (compile-tested only)

Thanks, that makes sense.  It passes: make check short_bench

My original signalfd + urcu-bp case works well, too, with my
constructor workarounds reverted. (I ported our patches ported to
to 0.10.2 for Debian buster (oldstable)).

I don't know if the existing test coverage is sufficient,
though.  Waiting on regtest...