[lttng-dev] How to trace a memory leak in my application using LTTng

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Fri May 7 06:30:07 EDT 2021

On Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2021 12:36:06 CEST bhanu kiran chaluvadi via lttng-dev
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a memory leak some where in my c++ application.  Since it was
> written in c++98 there are lot of pointer passed back and forth and there
> is no clear ownership of the pointers. I was  wondering if it's possible to
> check for memory leak and give a value sections to probe for the leak using
> LTTng ?  Since i am new, Can you also point me to some sample example to
> track memory leak, in case if they are available or can you provide some
> instructions to use LTTng in order to trace the leak.

While it's probably possible to leverage LTTng for this purpose, I don't think
it's worthwhile to do so. Better start off with a ready-made tool for this
purpose, such as heaptrack, LSAN or valgrind's memcheck.

Cheers

--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB (Deutschland) GmbH, a KDAB Group company