[lttng-dev] User-space RCU: call rcu_barrier() before dissociating helper thread?

Paul E. McKenney paulmck at kernel.org
Wed May 5 14:07:38 EDT 2021

On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 10:46:58AM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> ----- On May 5, 2021, at 3:54 AM, Martin Wilck mwilck at suse.com wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2021-04-30 at 14:41 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> >> ----- On Apr 29, 2021, at 9:49 AM, lttng-dev

> >> First of all, there is a significant reason why liburcu does not free
> >> the "default"
> >> call_rcu worker thread data structures at process exit. This is
> >> caused by the fact that
> >> a call_rcu callback may very well invoke call_rcu() to re-enqueue
> >> more work.
> >>
> >> AFAIU this is somewhat similar to what happens to the Linux kernel
> >> RCU implementation
> >> when the machine needs to be shutdown or rebooted: there may indeed
> >> never be any point
> >> in time where it is safe to free the call_rcu worker thread data
> >> structures without leaks,
> >> due to the fact that a call_rcu callback may re-enqueue further work
> >> indefinitely.
> >>
> >> So my understanding is that you implement your own call rcu worker
> >> thread because the
> >> one provided by liburcu leaks data structure on process exit, and you
> >> expect that
> >> call rcu_barrier once will suffice to ensure quiescence of the call
> >> rcu worker thread
> >> data structures. Unfortunately, this does not cover the scenario
> >> where a call_rcu
> >> callback re-enqueues additional work.
> >
> > I understand. In multipath-tools, we only have one callback, which
> > doesn't re-enqueue any work. Our callback really just calls free() on a
> > data structure. And it's unlikely that we'll get more RCU callbacks any
> > time soon.
> >
> > So, to clarify my question: Does it make sense to call rcu_barrier()
> > before set_thread_call_rcu_data(NULL) in this case?
>
> Yes, it would ensure that all pending callbacks are executed prior to
> removing the worker thread. And considering that you don't have chained
> callbacks, it makes sense to invoke rcu_barrier() only once.

If you do have chained callbacks, one trick is to:

1.	Prevent your application from doing any more new invocations
	of call_rcu().

2.	Set a flag that prevents any future callbacks from chaining.

3.	Do two calls to rcu_barrier(), one to wait for pre-existing
	callbacks and another to wait for any additional chained
	callbacks that happened concurrently with #2 above.

							Thanx, Paul