[lttng-dev] CTF2-PROP-2.0: Proposal for a major revision of the Common Trace Format, version 1.8

Philippe Proulx eeppeliteloop at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 15:30:29 EST 2020

Hello, people of the tracing world!

This is a major revision of the proposal for a major revision of
the Common Trace Format 1.8 (to CTF 2).

This document, named CTF2-PROP-2.0, is available here:

    <https://diamon.org/ctf/files/CTF2-PROP-2.0.html>

It's a revision of CTF2-PROP-1.0 which I sent to this mailing list
on October 25 2016:

    <https://diamon.org/ctf/files/CTF2-PROP-1.0.html>

I'm copying the AsciiDoc source here so that you can inline-comment it.
If you do so, _please_ keep only a few lines of context (only what's
necessary) above and below any comment, because the source has about
6000 lines of text.

Thank you for your comments!

Philippe Proulx
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com/

// Please render with Asciidoctor

= **CTF2-PROP-2.0**: Proposal for a major revision of the Common Trace
Format, version 1.8
Philippe Proulx <pproulx at efficios.com>
v2.0, 18 November 2020
:attribute-missing: warn
:icons: font
:nofooter:
:sectnums:
:sectnumlevels: 5
:toc: left
:toclevels: 3
:nbh: ‑
:minus: −
:times: ×
:noteq: ≠
:ieee754: https://standards.ieee.org/standard/754-2008.html[IEEE
754-2008]'s binary interchange format
:ctf1-nl: CTF{nbsp}1
:ctf1: https://diamon.org/ctf/v1.8.3/[{ctf1-nl}]
:ctf2: CTF{nbsp}2
:fl-ba: fixed-length bit array
:c-fl-ba: Fixed-length bit array
:vl-ba: variable-length bit array
:c-vl-ba: Variable-length bit array
:fl-bool: fixed-length boolean
:c-fl-bool: Fixed-length boolean
:fl-int: fixed-length integer
:c-fl-int: Fixed-length integer
:fl-uint: fixed-length unsigned integer
:c-fl-uint: Fixed-length unsigned integer
:fl-sint: fixed-length signed integer
:c-fl-sint: Fixed-length signed integer
:vl-int: variable-length integer
:c-vl-int: Variable-length integer
:vl-uint: variable-length unsigned integer
:c-vl-uint: Variable-length unsigned integer
:vl-sint: variable-length signed integer
:c-vl-sint: Variable-length signed integer
:fl-enum: fixed-length enumeration
:c-fl-enum: Fixed-length enumeration
:fl-uenum: fixed-length unsigned enumeration
:c-fl-uenum: Fixed-length unsigned enumeration
:fl-senum: fixed-length signed enumeration
:c-fl-senum: Fixed-length signed enumeration
:vl-enum: variable-length enumeration
:c-vl-enum: Variable-length enumeration
:vl-uenum: variable-length unsigned enumeration
:c-vl-uenum: Variable-length unsigned enumeration
:vl-senum: variable-length signed enumeration
:c-vl-senum: Variable-length signed enumeration
:fl-fp: fixed-length floating point number
:c-fl-fp: Fixed-length floating point number
:str: null-terminated string
:c-str: Null-terminated string
:sl-array: static-length array
:c-sl-array: Static-length array
:sl-str: static-length string
:c-sl-str: Static-length string
:dl-array: dynamic-length array
:c-dl-array: Dynamic-length array
:dl-str: dynamic-length string
:c-dl-str: Dynamic-length string
:sl-blob: static-length BLOB
:c-sl-blob: Static-length BLOB
:dl-blob: dynamic-length BLOB
:c-dl-blob: Dynamic-length BLOB
:fl-ba-fc: <<fl-ba-fc,fixed-length bit array field class>>
:c-fl-ba-fc: <<fl-ba-fc,Fixed-length bit array field class>>
:vl-ba-fc: <<vl-ba-fc,variable-length bit array field class>>
:c-vl-ba-fc: <<vl-ba-fc,Variable-length bit array field class>>
:fl-bool-fc: <<fl-bool-fc,fixed-length boolean field class>>
:c-fl-bool-fc: <<fl-bool-fc,Fixed-length boolean field class>>
:fl-int-fc: <<fl-int-fc,fixed-length integer field class>>
:c-fl-int-fc: <<fl-int-fc,Fixed-length integer field class>>
:fl-uint-fc: <<fl-int-fc,fixed-length unsigned integer field class>>
:c-fl-uint-fc: <<fl-int-fc,Fixed-length unsigned integer field class>>
:fl-sint-fc: <<fl-int-fc,fixed-length signed integer field class>>
:c-fl-sint-fc: <<fl-int-fc,Fixed-length signed integer field class>>
:vl-int-fc: <<vl-int-fc,variable-length integer field class>>
:c-vl-int-fc: <<vl-int-fc,Variable-length integer field class>>
:vl-uint-fc: <<vl-int-fc,variable-length unsigned integer field class>>
:c-vl-uint-fc: <<vl-int-fc,Variable-length unsigned integer field class>>
:vl-sint-fc: <<vl-int-fc,variable-length signed integer field class>>
:c-vl-sint-fc: <<vl-int-fc,Variable-length signed integer field class>>
:fl-enum-fc: <<fl-enum-fc,fixed-length enumeration field class>>
:c-fl-enum-fc: <<fl-enum-fc,Fixed-length enumeration field class>>
:fl-uenum-fc: <<fl-enum-fc,fixed-length unsigned enumeration field class>>
:c-fl-uenum-fc: <<fl-enum-fc,Fixed-length unsigned enumeration field class>>
:fl-senum-fc: <<fl-enum-fc,fixed-length signed enumeration field class>>
:c-fl-senum-fc: <<fl-enum-fc,Fixed-length signed enumeration field class>>
:vl-enum-fc: <<vl-enum-fc,variable-length enumeration field class>>
:c-vl-enum-fc: <<vl-enum-fc,Variable-length enumeration field class>>
:vl-uenum-fc: <<vl-enum-fc,variable-length unsigned enumeration field class>>
:c-vl-uenum-fc: <<vl-enum-fc,Variable-length unsigned enumeration field class>>
:vl-senum-fc: <<vl-enum-fc,variable-length signed enumeration field class>>
:c-vl-senum-fc: <<vl-enum-fc,Variable-length signed enumeration field class>>
:fl-fp-fc: <<fl-fp-fc,fixed-length floating point number field class>>
:c-fl-fp-fc: <<fl-fp-fc,Fixed-length floating point number field class>>
:str-fc: <<str-fc,null-terminated string field class>>
:c-str-fc: <<str-fc,Null-terminated string field class>>
:sl-array-fc: <<sl-array-fc,static-length array field class>>
:c-sl-array-fc: <<sl-array-fc,Static-length array field class>>
:sl-str-fc: <<sl-str-fc,static-length string field class>>
:c-sl-str-fc: <<sl-str-fc,Static-length string field class>>
:dl-array-fc: <<dl-array-fc,dynamic-length array field class>>
:c-dl-array-fc: <<dl-array-fc,Dynamic-length array field class>>
:dl-str-fc: <<dl-str-fc,dynamic-length string field class>>
:c-dl-str-fc: <<dl-str-fc,Dynamic-length string field class>>
:sl-blob-fc: <<sl-blob-fc,static-length BLOB field class>>
:c-sl-blob-fc: <<sl-blob-fc,Static-length BLOB field class>>
:dl-blob-fc: <<dl-blob-fc,dynamic-length BLOB field class>>
:c-dl-blob-fc: <<dl-blob-fc,Dynamic-length BLOB field class>>
:struct-fc: <<struct-fc,structure field class>>
:c-struct-fc: <<struct-fc,Structure field class>>
:opt-fc: <<opt-fc,optional field class>>
:c-opt-fc: <<opt-fc,Optional field class>>
:var-fc: <<var-fc,variant field class>>
:c-var-fc: <<var-fc,Variant field class>>
:diamon: https://diamon.org/[DiaMon Workgroup]
:c-bo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness[Byte order]
:must: pass:q[__MUST__]
:must-not: pass:q[__MUST NOT__]
:required: pass:q[__REQUIRED__]
:should: pass:q[__SHOULD__]
:should-not: pass:q[__SHOULD NOT__]
:may: pass:q[__MAY__]
:optional: pass:q[__OPTIONAL__]
:var-f: pass:q[__**F**__]
:var-o: pass:q[__**O**__]
:var-v: pass:q[__**V**__]
:var-p: pass:q[__**P**__]
:var-s: pass:q[__**S**__]
:var-po: pass:q[__**PO**__]
:var-o-minus-po: pass:q[__**O**__ − __**PO**__]
:doc-id: pass:q[__**CTF2-PROP-2.0**__]

This document is an informal proposal for the next major revision of the
**Common Trace Format** (CTF) version{nbsp}2 (hereafter named _{ctf2}_).

This is _not_ a formal reference. Some parts of this document, however,
may be formal enough to be elligible for a specification document.

.RFC 2119
IMPORTANT: The key words {must}, {must-not}, {required},
{should}, {should-not}, {may}, and {optional} in this document, when
emphasized, are to be interpreted as described in
https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt[RFC{nbsp}2119].

== Revision history

Significant changes since
https://diamon.org/ctf/files/CTF2-PROP-1.0.html[_**CTF2-PROP-1.0**_]:

* Written in https://asciidoctor.org/[Asciidoctor]'s AsciiDoc syntax.
+
The original AsciiDoc project is pretty much deprecated.
+
Asciidoctor is also what GitHub, GitLab, and more use to render
AsciiDoc documents.

* Terminology update.
+
See the <<term-update,{ctf2} terminology update>>.

* Mostly written from the consumer's perspective, especially the
  <<ds-dec,data stream decoding procedure>>.

* Metadata types are removed: the document uses JSON directly now.
+
This makes the specification easier to read, removing one nonessential
abstraction layer.

* Constant integer JSON object is removed: we can use plain JSON
  integers.

* Splitting the specification into three layers is removed: the document
  specifies the whole format monolithically.
+
This makes the specification easier to read.

* **Format simplifications**:

** <<tc-frag,Trace class>>'s default/native byte order property is
   removed: a {fl-ba-fc} {must} have an explicit byte order property.

** Not all <<fc,field classes>> have an alignment property: only a
   {fl-ba-fc}, and all the field classes which inherit it, need one.
+
To remain backward compatible with {ctf1}, a {struct-fc} still needs a
_minimum_ alignment property.

** Relative field location (field path in
   https://diamon.org/ctf/files/CTF2-PROP-1.0.html[_**CTF2-PROP-1.0**_])
   is removed.
+
You can always use absolute <<field-loc,field locations>>.

** Field class aliases are removed.

** "`Tags`" replaced with <<roles,roles>> attached to <<fc,field
   classes>>.
+
It makes sense for a field class to have a role now that each field
class is unique (no field class aliases).

** A <<ds,data stream>> {may} have a single <<def-clk,default clock>>.
   Therefore, a <<dsc-frag,data stream class>> {may} have a single,
   default <<cc-frag,clock class>>.
+
This is enough to satisfy the current use cases.

** Null, variable-length boolean, and union field classes are removed:
   we don't have use cases for them.

* {c-opt-fc} added.
+
This is why
https://diamon.org/ctf/files/CTF2-PROP-1.0.html[_**CTF2-PROP-1.0**_]
introduced the null field class (removed in {doc-id}): in the
end, a {var-fc} with a null field class option and another option really
is an optional field class.

* <<blob-fc,BLOB field classes>> added.
+
A BLOB field contains a
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_large_object[BLOB].
+
Having dedicated static- and dynamic-length BLOB field classes instead
of using static- and dynamic-length <<array-fc,array field classes>>
makes it possible for consumer APIs to provide the values of such fields
as byte buffers.

* An <<int-fc,integer field class>> {may} have a preferred display base,
  even if it's insignificant to <<field-dec,decode its fields>>, because
  this property exists in {ctf1} and makes the transition easier.

* An <<ert-frag,event record class>> {may} have a name and other
  properties which exist in {ctf1-nl}, but which are insignificant to
  <<er-dec,decode its instances>>, because it makes the transition
  easier.

* <<ext,Extension>> feature added.
+
This is how we plan to add core features and modify existing ones in the
future without having to rely on a minor version.

* <<aux-stream,Auxiliary stream>> feature added.

== CTF publication authority

The {diamon}, a https://www.linuxfoundation.org/[Linux Foundation]
workgroup which creates de facto open standards and tools for tracing,
monitoring, and diagnostics, oversees the Common Trace Format design and
the publication of official CTF documents.

The DiaMon Workgroup is also responsible for providing a platform for
interested parties to comment on CTF-related proposals.

== {ctf2} document identification

We suggest that all official {ctf2} documents bear a unique **document
identifier** (ID) having the following format:

[verse]
`CTF2-__SHORTNAME__-__MAJOR__.__MINOR__[r__REV__]`

[%header%autowidth]
.Descriptions and roles of {ctf2} document ID parts
|===
|Part |Description |Bump {may} introduce new concepts, procedures, and
formats? |Bump {may} remove or change existing concepts, procedures,
and formats?

|`__SHORTNAME__`
|The capitalized short name of the document, unique amongst all the
official {ctf2} documents.
|N/A
|N/A

|`__MAJOR__`
|The major version number of the document.
|Yes
|Yes

|`__MINOR__`
|The minor version number of the document.
|Yes
|No

|`__REV__`
|The revision letter of the document (from `A` to `Z`, then `ZA` to
`ZZ`, and so on).

We'll use document revisions to add examples, clarify existing concepts,
or fix grammar/content mistakes, for example.
|No
|No
|===

As an example, the short name of this document is _PROP_, for
_proposal_, and its full document ID is {doc-id}. The next
revision would be _**CTF2-PROP-2.0rA**_, and the following would be
_**CTF2-PROP-2.0rB**_.

A {ctf2} document {must} refer to another {ctf2} document using only its
ID, for example:

> This concept is further explained in _**CTF2-SOMEID-1.2**_.

There's no need to refer to a specific revision: a reference always
targets the latest document's revision.

We suggest the following IDs for the initial documents:

[%header,cols="d,d"]
|===
|{ctf2} document ID |Description

|_**CTF2-DOCID-1.0**_
|{ctf2} document identifier format.

|_**CTF2-FS-2.0**_
|Layout of a {ctf2} trace when stored on a file system.

|_**CTF2-PMETA-2.0**_
|{ctf2} metadata stream packet format.

|_**CTF2-SPEC-2.0**_
|Common Trace Format (CTF), version 2.

We don't plan to ever bump this document's minor version as we can use
the proposed <<ext,extension>> mechanism to add or modify core features.
|===

== Why {ctf2}?

Why do we need a major version bump of the CTF specification?

A major version bump is never an easy choice when it comes to revisiting
a software library, a communication protocol, a file format, or anything
else that serves as a contract between a producer and a consumer.

When such a decision is taken, it must be justified by solid arguments,
since it makes it impossible for old consumers to consume the product of
new producers.

In this proposal, for instance, {ctf2} traces are _not_ backward
compatible with {ctf1} traces. Although the <<ds,data stream>> binary
format is compatible, the <<metadata-stream-overview,metadata stream>>
is not: it's written in a different language (JSON instead of TSDL).

{ctf1-nl} has been used and tested for over ten years now, by different
producers and consumers. Over that time, we have noted a few gaps in the
trace format, gaps that make it hard to extend {ctf1-nl} as much as we'd
like, amongst other things.

This specification proposition designs {ctf2} to overcome those gaps, to
the best of our knowledge, and to be flexible enough to gracefully
accept future additions while avoiding another major version bump in the
upcoming years.

[[design-goals]]
=== Design goals

The design goals of {ctf2} are as follows, in order, beginning with the
most important:

. **{ctf2} data streams {must} be backward compatible with {ctf1}
  <<ds,data streams>>.**
+
Many applications are already written to output valid {ctf1-nl}
<<pkt,packets>>. Modifying the code of those applications to produce
different binary packets can be cumbersome, and sometimes impossible if
the application passed acceptance tests, for example.
+
Making sure that applications producing {ctf1-nl} traces can also
produce {ctf2} traces only by changing the
<<metadata-stream-overview,metadata stream>> is therefore a hard
requirement.

. **The {ctf2} data streams {must} be as efficient as possible to
  produce by a tracer.**
+
This design goal was also one of the major ones which drove the
design of {ctf1-nl}.
+
In other words, a small embedded system {must} be able to produce {ctf2}
data streams natively. Moreover, the tracer {must} be able to copy
binary data to the packet buffer of a data stream without altering it.

. **A {ctf2} metadata stream {must} be extensible by users (including
  the {diamon}) of the specification.**
+
{ctf1-nl}'s TSDL grammar is pretty restrictive when it comes to customizing
existing blocks with user-defined attributes.
+
Many protocols and declarative languages support custom user data in
their payload. For example, HTML5 allows any element to have user
attributes with the `data-` prefix.
+
A {ctf2} producer {must} be able to add custom attributes to almost any
specified metadata object. This makes it possible for standard consumers
to read any {ctf2} trace and ignore unknown user attributes, providing a
"`bland`", yet complete view of the trace fields, while you can write a
special consumer (or extend an existing one) to interpret specific user
attributes and use them to render a meaningful visualization.
+
This design goal also means that an "`old`" {ctf2} consumer {must} be
able to either:
+
** Decode a "`new`" {ctf2} trace completely.
** Indicate that it cannot decode a "`new`" {ctf2} trace completely.

. **{ctf2}'s specification {must} focus on use cases known on its
  publication date.**
+
The previous design goal indicates that a {ctf2} metadata stream {must}
be extensible by users. Knowing this, the {ctf2} specification itself
{must} focus on _currently known_ use cases, leaving anything else to
future extensions to be described in other {ctf2} documents.
+
As per design goal{nbsp}1, those known use cases include everything
available in {ctf1-nl}.

. **{ctf2}'s specification {must-not} specify how to transport or store
  a trace.**
+
In the {ctf2} specification, a {ctf2} trace {must} be defined as a set
of streams, without specifying how you transport or store said streams.
+
Other official {ctf2} documents published by the {diamon} can define
standard ways to transport and store {ctf2} streams for targeted use
cases. Trace producers and consumers can choose to implement one or more
transport/storage strategies following the other documents.

. **A {ctf2} trace {should} be as easy as possible to consume.**
+
{ctf1-nl} focuses on being easy to produce, which is a good idea since
producers are often tracers in this context, and as per design
goal{nbsp}2, a minimal tracer {must} be able to produce a correct CTF
trace with minimal code.
+
However, because a {ctf1-nl} <<metadata-stream-overview,metadata
stream>> is written in TSDL, a custom, declarative, C-like DSL designed
for CTF, writing a minimal consumer of {ctf1-nl} is not an easy task.
TSDL is an intricate language, with many special cases and features,
many of which are borrowed from the C language, which you can't ignore
when writing a consumer supporting all its features. TSDL was developed
to ease the _manual_ (human) production of metadata streams.
+
Over time, we realized that, while producing traces is important,
consuming them to solve problems with <<er,event record>> analysis is
just as important, if not more.
+
This is why {ctf2} {should} encourage the development of CTF consumers
in any programming language by reducing the number of special cases, as
well as by using a very simple, yet well-known descriptive language for
the <<metadata-stream-overview,metadata stream>>.
+
{ctf1-nl} tries to accomodate other trace formats, which can be converted
to CTF without changing the data streams by writing the matching
metadata stream. This is also a source of special cases. {ctf2} {should}
build on binary trace conversion (from another, non-CTF trace format to
{ctf2}) rather than trying to accomodate other formats.

. **{ctf2}'s model {should} be similar to {ctf1-nl}'s.**
+
Some APIs are already written to deal with {ctf1-nl} "`objects`", or
concepts (<<erc-frag,event record classes>>, <<er,event records>>,
<<fc,field classes>>, and <<cc-frag,clock classes>>, for example).
+
The model of {ctf2} {should} be, as much as possible, compatible with
the model of {ctf1-nl}, so that those existing APIs can operate on
{ctf2} objects too without requiring significant upgrades.

== Changes since {ctf1-nl}

Here is a brief summary of the changes, from {ctf1} to {ctf2},
as introduced by this proposal.

* The terminology of the specification and the binary layouts of the
  <<ds,data streams>> are _completely detached_ from the C language and
  from the behaviour of any C compiler.
+
{ctf2} is a programming language-agnostic trace format.

* [[term-update]]**Terminology update**:
+
[%header%autowidth]
|===
|{ctf1-nl} term |Equivalent {ctf2} term

|Absolute (clock class property) |Origin is Unix epoch
|Array (field class) |{c-sl-array}
|Base (integer field class property) |Preferred display base
|Binary stream |Data stream
|Clock (when it names a block of metadata which describes actual
clocks) |Clock class
|Content size |Packet's content size
|Declaration |Field class
|Enumeration (field class) |{c-fl-enum}
|Event (when it names a block of metadata which describes event
records) |Event record class
|Event (when it names an actual recorded event contained in a packet)
|Event record
|Event context |Event record specific context
|Event fields |Event record payload
|Event ID |Event record class ID
|Events discarded |Discarded event record counter
|Field (structure field class) |Structure field member class
|Field (structure field) |Structure field member
|Floating point (field class) |{c-fl-fp}
|Integer (field class) |{c-fl-int}
|Packet size |Packet's total size
|Sequence (field class) |{c-dl-array}
|Size (integer field class property) |Length
|Stream (when it names a block of metadata which describes data
streams) |Data stream class
|Stream event context |Event record common context
|Stream event header |Event record header
|Stream ID |Data stream class ID
|Stream instance ID |Data stream ID
|Stream packet context |Packet context
|String (field class) |{c-str}
|Tag (variant field class) |Selector
|Trace (when it names a block of metadata which describes traces) |Trace class
|Trace packet header |Packet header
|===

* The <<metadata-stream,metadata stream>> is written in JSON,
  as specified by
  https://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/ECMA-404.pdf[ECMA-404].

* The {ctf2} specification doesn't specify a "`packetized`"
  metadata stream format.
+
This is a back-end-specific way of wrapping a
<<metadata-stream-overview,metadata stream>> as defined in this
document.
+
Another document specifies the packetized metadata stream format, which
trace storage and transport documents can use if needed.

* Most objects of a {ctf2} metadata stream {may} contain
  <<user-attrs,custom user attributes>>.

* Field class aliases are removed.
+
This removes indirection, simplifying the format.

* **New field classes**:

** A __{fl-ba-fc}__ describes the most primitive
   fields ({fl-ba} fields) of a <<ds,data stream>> which actually have
   values.
+
A {fl-int-fc} is now specified as a {fl-ba}
field class with an {optional} preferred display base property and
integer type semantics.
+
A {fl-enum-fc} is now specified as a {fl-int-fc} with mappings.
+
A {fl-fp-fc} is now specified as a {fl-ba-fc}: its length property is
enough to determine its encoding under {ieee754}.

** A __{fl-bool-fc}__, which is a {fl-ba-fc} with a special meaning,
   describes {fl-bool} fields.
+
When all the bits of a {fl-bool} field are cleared (zero), the field's
value is said to be _false_. Otherwise, the field's value is said to be
_true_.

** A __{vl-ba-fc}__ describes {vl-ba} fields.
+
Each byte of a {vl-ba} field has its most significant bit set if one
more byte is part of the field.
+
The seven low-order bits of each byte are concatenated in a specific way
to form a final, equivalent {fl-ba} field.

** A __{vl-int-fc}__, which is to a {vl-ba-fc} what a {fl-int-fc}
   is to a {fl-ba-fc}, describes {vl-int} fields.

** A __{vl-enum-fc}__, which is to a {vl-int-fc} what a {fl-enum-fc} is
   to a {fl-int-fc}, describes {vl-enum} fields.

** A __{sl-str-fc}__ and a __{dl-str-fc}__ describe static- and
   dynamic-length string fields, which {may} not be null-terminated.
+
Such string fields hold _possibly_ null-terminated UTF-8 string values
(they {may} also hold an exact number of UTF-8 bytes without a
terminating null byte).

** An __{opt-fc}__ describes an optional field.
+
It is similar to a variant field class with two options: the optional
field class and an "`empty`" field class.

** A __{sl-blob-fc}__ and a __{dl-blob-fc}__ describe static- and
   dynamic-length sequences of contiguous bytes to represent
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_large_object[BLOBs].

* **Modified field classes**:

** The default alignment property of a <<fl-ba-fc,{fl-ba}>> field
   (and therefore also of fixed-length <<fl-bool-fc,boolean>>,
   <<fl-int-fc,integer>>, <<fl-enum-fc,enumeration>>, and
   <<fl-fp-fc,floating point number>> fields) is{nbsp}1.
+
In {ctf1-nl}, it's{nbsp}8 if the field's class's size property is a
multiple of{nbsp}8, and{nbsp}1 otherwise.

** The _encoding_ property _is removed_ from the {fl-int-fc}.
+
The encoding property in {ctf1-nl} indicates that a byte is a UTF-8
character, for example, but since there are UTF-8 characters which are
encoded on more than one byte, this property actually makes no sense at
the {fl-int-fc} level.
+
You can use the new {sl-str-fc} and {dl-str-fc} to achieve
the same result.

** The _exponent_ and _mantissa size_ properties _are removed_ from the
   {fl-fp-fc}.
+
A {fl-fp-fc} is now defined as a {fl-ba-fc}, which has a
single length property to indicate its total, fixed length, in bits.
+
A {ctf2} consumer can
<<fl-fp-field-dec,decode a {fl-fp} field>> encoded following {ieee754}
knowing only this parameter--the storage width of the bit array--from
which it can deduce other parameters according to the standard.
+
In other words, in {ctf1-nl}, only specific pairs of exponent and
mantissa size properties are valid: 8 and 24, 11 and 53, 15 and 113, and
so on.

** The _encoding_ property _is removed_ from the {str-fc}.
+
{ctf2} {str} fields always contain a sequence of bytes which encode a
{str} with UTF-8. If a {str} field is encoded with the ASCII encoding in
a {ctf1-nl} data stream, it's still valid in {ctf2} since an ASCII
string is a UTF-8 string.

* _Relative_ field locations (variant field class's tag/selector and
  dynamic-length field class's length) are removed.
+
In {ctf2}, you can specify a location to any valid field with an
absolute <<field-loc,field location>>.
+
This simplifies the format.

* "`Special`" <<struct-member-cls,structure field member classes>>, such
  as the <<pkt,packet>> magic number member class, the <<dsc-frag,data
  stream class>> ID member class, and the packet's total size member
  class, _can have any name_: a <<fc,field class>> {may} have one or
  more <<roles,_roles_>> instead to indicate the purpose of its
  instances.
+
This means a {ctf2} consumer doesn't need to rely on reserved names like
{ctf1-nl}'s `magic`, `stream_id`, and `packet_size`.
+
This new approach also makes it possible for a given field class to have
multiple roles.

* The _native byte order_ property _is removed_ from the
  <<tc-frag,trace class>>.
+
In {ctf2}, each {fl-ba-fc} {must} explicitly
indicate the byte order of its instances.
+
This removes indirection, simplifying the format.

* The _EMF URI_ property _is removed_ from the
  <<erc-frag,event record class>>.
+
This Eclipse Modeling Framework property is not common enough for the
Common Trace Format.
+
A producer can still write such an URI as an event record class's
<<user-attrs,user attribute>>.

* The _log level_ property _is removed_ from the
  <<erc-frag,event record class>>.
+
Log level integral values are tracer-specific.
+
A producer can still write such a log level value as an event record
class's <<user-attrs,user attribute>>.

* A {ctf2} trace {may} have zero or more <<aux-stream,_auxiliary
  streams_>>.
+
An auxiliary stream contains structured information related to a
specific trace which doesn't fit the <<ds,data stream>> model, whereas a
{ctf2} metadata stream now describes a class of traces (multiple traces
can share the same metadata stream).

* The "`call site`" block feature is removed.
+
We don't know any producer using this.

== Common definitions

Common definitions for this specification:

Byte::
    A group of eight bits operated on as a unit.

Class::
    A set of values (instances) which share common properties.
+
For example, a {fl-uint-fc} with an 8-bit length
is the set of the all the {fl-uint} fields from `00000000` to `11111111`
(values 0{nbsp}to{nbsp}255).
.
+
This document often states that some class _describes_ instances. For
example, an <<erc-frag,event record class>> describes <<er,event
records>>.

Consumer::
    A software or hardware system which consumes (reads) the streams of
    a <<trace,trace>>.
+
A trace consumer is often a _trace viewer_ or a _trace analyzer_.

[[ns-def]]Namespace::
    A string of which the purpose is to avoid naming conflicts.
+
This document doesn't specify the format of a namespace. It is
_recommended_ to use a URI, or at least to include a domain name owned
by the organization defining the objects under a namespace.
+
IMPORTANT: The `std` namespace is reserved for the {ctf2} specification.

Producer::
    A software or hardware system which produces (writes) the streams of
    a <<trace,trace>>.
+
A trace producer is often a _tracer_.

Sequence::
    A set of related items that follow each other in a particular order.

Stream::
    A sequence of bytes.

[[trace]]
== Trace composition

A trace is:

* One <<metadata-stream-overview,metadata stream>>.
* One or more <<data-stream,data streams>>.
* Zero or more <<aux-stream,auxiliary streams>>.

As a reminder, a stream is defined as a sequence of bytes.

NOTE: This document doesn't specify how to transport or store
{ctf2} streams. A producer could serialize all streams as a single file
on the file system, or it could send the streams over the network using
TCP, to name a few examples.

[[metadata-stream-overview]]
=== Metadata stream (overview)

A metadata stream describes trace <<ds,data streams>> with JSON objects.

A metadata stream describes things such as:

* The <<cc-frag,class>> of the data stream <<def-clk,default clocks>>.
* The names of <<erc-frag,event record classes>>.
* The <<fc,classes>> of event record fields.

Multiple traces {may} share the same metadata stream: a given trace
{may} contain specific information in its own <<aux-stream,auxiliary
streams>>.

See <<metadata-stream>> for the full metadata stream specification.

[[ds]]
=== Data stream

A _data stream_ is a sequence of one or more data <<pkt,packets>>:

image::ctf-trace-all.svg[]

In the <<metadata-stream,metadata stream>>, a
<<dsc-frag,data stream class>> describes data streams.

A packet {must} contain one or more bytes of data.

Although a packet {may} contain padding at the end itself, from the data
stream's point of view, there's no padding between packets. In other
words, the byte following the last byte of a packet is the first byte of
the next packet.

A data stream {may} have, conceptually:

[[def-clk]]One default, monotonic clock::
    Described by a <<cc-frag,clock class>> in the metadata stream.
+
<<pkt,Packets>> and <<er,event records>> {may} contain _snapshots_,
named _timestamps_, of their data stream's default clock.

[[disc-er-counter]]One counter of discarded event records::
    Indicates the number of event records which the producer
    needed to discard for different reasons.
+
For example, a tracer could discard an event record when it doesn't fit
some buffer and there's no other available buffer.
+
A packet {may} contain a snapshot of this counter.

See <<ds-dec>> to learn how to decode a {ctf2} data stream.

[[pkt]]
==== Packet

A _packet_ is a part of a <<ds,data stream>>.

A packet contains a sequence of data _fields_ or padding (garbage
data). In the metadata stream, <<fc,field classes>> describe data
fields.

A packet {var-p}, contained in a data stream{nbsp}{var-s}, contains,
in this order:

. [[pkt-header]]{optional}: A **header** <<struct-fc,structure>> field,
  described at the <<tc-frag,trace class>> level in the
  <<metadata-stream,metadata stream>>, which contains:
.. {optional}: A packet magic number field (0xc1fc1fc1, or 3254525889).
.. Order _not_ significant:
*** {optional}: A trace class UUID field.
*** {optional}: One or more fields which contain the numeric ID of the
    <<dsc-frag,class>> of{nbsp}{var-s}.
*** {optional}: One or more fields which contain the numeric ID
    of{nbsp}{var-s}.

. [[pkt-ctx]]{optional}: A **context** <<struct-fc,structure>> field,
  described at the <<dsc-frag,data stream class>> level in the metadata
  stream, which contains (order _not_ significant):
** {optional}: A field which contains the total size of{nbsp}{var-p},
   in bits (always a multiple of 8).
** {optional}: A field which contains the content size
   of{nbsp}{var-p}, in bits.
** {optional}: A field which contains the beginning timestamp
   of{nbsp}{var-p}.
** {optional}: A field which contains the end timestamp
   of{nbsp}{var-p}.
** {optional}: A field which contains a snapshot of the
   <<disc-er-counter,discarded event record counter>> of{nbsp}{var-s}
   at the end of{nbsp}{var-p}.
** {optional}: A field which contains the sequence number
   of{nbsp}{var-p} within{nbsp}{var-s}.
** {optional}: User fields.

. Zero or more <<er,event records>>.

A packet {must} contain one or more bytes of data.

A packet {may} have padding (garbage data) after its _last_ event
record. The size of this padding is the difference between its total
size and its content size (as found in its <<pkt-ctx,context structure
field>>).

Packets are independent of each other: if you remove a packet
from a data stream, a consumer can still decode the whole data stream.
This is why:

* Packets {may} contain _snapshots_ of their data stream's
  <<disc-er-counter,discarded event record counter>>.

* Packets and event records {may} contain _timestamps_ which are
  snapshots of their data stream's <<def-clk,default clock>>.

If the <<pkt-ctx,packet context>> fields of a data stream's packets
contain a <<pkt-seq-num-role,packet sequence number>> field, a consumer
can recognize missing packets.

See <<pkt-dec>> to learn how to decode a {ctf2} packet.

[[er]]
==== Event record

An _event record_ is the result of a producer writing a record with
{optional} user data when an event occurs during its execution.

A <<pkt,packet>> contains zero or more event records.

An <<erc-frag,event record class>> describes the specific parts of
event records.

An event record _**E**_, contained in a <<ds,data
stream>>{nbsp}{var-s}, contains, in this order:

. [[er-header]]{optional}: A **header** <<struct-fc,structure>> field,
  described at the <<dsc-frag,data stream class>> level in the metadata
  stream, which contains (order _not_ significant):
** {optional}: One or more fields which contain the numeric ID of the
   <<erc-frag,class>> of{nbsp}__**E**__ which has the class
   of{nbsp}{var-s} as its parent.
** {optional}: One or more fields which contain a timestamp or a partial
   timestamp.

. [[er-common-ctx]]{optional}: A **common context**
  <<struct-fc,structure>> field, described at the data stream class
  level in the metadata stream, which contains user fields.

. [[er-spec-ctx]]{optional}: A **specific context**
  <<struct-fc,structure>> field, described at the event record class
  level in the metadata stream, which contains user fields.

. [[er-payload]]{optional}: A **payload** <<struct-fc,structure>> field,
  described at the event record class level in the metadata stream,
  which contains user fields.

An event record {must} contain one or more bits of data.

The <<def-clk,default clock>> timestamp of an event record, that is, the
value of its <<ds,data stream>>'s default clock _after_ its
<<er-header,header field>>, if any, is encoded/decoded {must} be greater
than or equal to the default clock timestamp of the previous event
record, if any, within the _same_ data stream.

See <<er-dec>> to learn how to decode a {ctf2} event record.

[[aux-stream]]
=== Auxiliary stream

An auxiliary stream is a JSON object, as specified by
https://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/ECMA-404.pdf[ECMA-404],
which contains extra, structured information about the trace which
doesn't fit the <<ds,data stream>> model.

An auxiliary stream has a single property:

[horizontal]
Name::
    Auxiliary stream's <<ns-def,namespace>>.

Value::
    A JSON value.

Two auxiliary streams of a given trace {must-not} have the same
namespace.

.Auxiliary stream with the `my.tracer` namespace.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "my.tracer": {
    "version": [1, 3, 2],
    "session-name": "hanon"
  }
}
----
====

.Auxiliary stream of which the value is just `42`.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "328c7a2d-a959-4f60-bd22-cca74359326f": 42
}
----
====

[[env]]
==== Trace environment

To remain backward compatible with {ctf1}, a trace {may} contain an
auxiliary stream having the `std` namespace which contains trace
environment variables under the `environment` property.

The trace environment variables are a single JSON object where each
property is:

[horizontal]
Name::
    Trace environment variable name.

Value::
    Trace environment variable value (any JSON value).

This document doesn't specify trace environment variable names.

.`std` auxiliary stream with trace environment variables.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "std": {
    "environment": {
      "hostname": "hanon",
      "domain": "kernel",
      "sysname": "Linux",
      "kernel_release": "4.12.12-1-ARCH",
      "kernel_version": "#1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Sep 10 09:41:14 CEST 2017",
      "tracer_name": "lttng-modules",
      "tracer_major": 2,
      "tracer_minor": 10,
      "tracer_patchlevel": 0
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[metadata-stream]]
== Metadata stream

A metadata stream is a JSON array, as specified by
https://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/ECMA-404.pdf[ECMA-404],
of _fragments_.

Together, the fragments of a metadata stream contain all the information
about the <<ds,data streams>> of one or more <<trace,traces>>.

[[frag]]A _fragment_ is a JSON object; its allowed properties depend on
its `type` property.

.Common properties of a fragment {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth,cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`"preamble"`::
    {var-f} is a <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.

`"trace-class"`::
    {var-f} is a <<tc-frag,trace class fragment>>.

`"clock-class"`::
    {var-f} is a <<cc-frag,clock class fragment>>.

`"data-stream-class"`::
    {var-f} is a <<dsc-frag,data stream class fragment>>.

`"event-record-class"`::
    {var-f} is a <<erc-frag,event record class fragment>>.
|Yes
|

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

For any fragment except a <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>, any
extension which exists under this property must also be declared in the
metadata stream's preamble fragment.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

The metadata stream is designed as a flat JSON array of fragments
instead of a single JSON object containing nested objects to enable
real-time, or "`live`", tracing: a consumer can always decode <<er,event
records>> having known <<erc-frag,event record classes>> while a
producer can always add new event record classes to a <<dsc-frag,data
stream class>> by appending additional fragments to the metadata stream.
Once a producer appends a fragment to a metadata stream, the fragment
is considered "`frozen`", in that it never needs to change.

A metadata stream:

* {must} start with a preamble fragment.
* {must} contain exactly one <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
* {may} contain one <<tc-frag,trace class fragment>>.
* {must} contain one or more <<dsc-frag,data stream class fragments>>
  which {must} follow the trace class fragment, if any.
* {may} contain one or more <<er-frag,event record class fragments>>
  which {must} follow their parent data stream class, if any.

.Partial metadata stream.
====
[source,json]
----
[
  {
    "type": "preamble",
    "version": 2
  },
  …
]
----
====

[NOTE]
====
This section doesn't specify how a metadata stream translates into
<<ds,data stream>> encoding and decoding rules; it only describes
objects and their properties.

See <<ds-dec>> to learn how to decode a data stream.
====

[[uuid]]
=== UUID

Both a <<tc-frag,trace class fragment>> and a <<cc-frag,clock class
fragment>> {may} have a
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier[_UUID_]
property.

Within a metadata stream, a UUID is a JSON string of which the value is
the canonical textual representation of the UUID.

.UUID.
====
[source,json]
----
"e53e0ab8-50a1-4f0a-b710-b5f0bba9c4ac"
----
====

[[ext]]
=== Extensions

A producer {may} add _extensions_ to many metadata stream JSON objects.

The purpose of an extension is to add core features to {ctf2} or to
modify existing core features, as specified by this document. In other
words, an extension {may} alter the format itself. This document doesn't
specify what an extension exactly is.

The metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>> contains
_extension declarations_:

* Any extension in metadata stream objects {must} be declared, by
  namespace and name, in the preamble fragment.
+
Declaring an extension is said to _enable_ it.

* If a consumer doesn't support _any_ declared extension, it {must-not}
  consume the <<trace,trace>>'s <<ds,data streams>>.
+
The consumer {should} report unsupported extensions as an error.

Extensions are a single JSON object, where each property is:

[horizontal]
Name::
    A <<ns-def,namespace>>

Value::
    A <<ns-exts-obj,namespaced extensions object>>

[[ns-exts-obj]]A _namespaced extensions object_ is a JSON object, where
each property is:

[horizontal]
Name::
    An extension name

Value::
    A JSON value

The metadata stream JSON objects which {may} contain extensions as their
`extensions` property are:

* Any <<frag,fragment>>.
+
An extension in the <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>> also makes it
_declared_.

* Any <<fc,field class>>.

* A <<struct-member-cls,structure field member class>>.

* A <<var-fc-opt,variant field class option>>.

.Three extensions under two namespaces.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "my.tracer": {
    "piano": {
      "keys": 88,
      "temperament": "equal"
    },
    "ramen": 23
  },
  "abc/xyz": {
    "sax": {
      "variant": "alto"
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[user-attrs]]
=== User attributes

A producer {may} add custom _user attributes_ to many metadata stream
JSON objects.

This document doesn't specify what a user attribute exactly is. Unlike
<<ext,extensions>>, a consumer {must-not} consider user attributes to
decode <<ds,data streams>>.

User attributes are a single JSON object, where each property is:

[horizontal]
Name::
    A <<ns-def,namespace>>

Value::
    A JSON value

The metadata stream JSON objects which {may} contain user attributes
as their `user-attributes` property are:

* Any <<frag,fragment>>.
* Any <<fc,field class>>.
* A <<struct-member-cls,structure field member class>>.
* A <<var-fc-opt,variant field class option>>.

.User attributes under two namespaces.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "my.tracer": {
    "max-count": 45,
    "module": "sys"
  },
  "abc/xyz": true
}
----
====

[[fc]]
=== Field classes

A _field class_ describes fields, that is, sequences of bits as found
in a <<ds,data stream>>.

A field class contains all the properties a consumer needs to
<<ds-dec,decode>> a given field.

A _field_ is a field class instance.

This document specifies the following types of field classes:

Abstract field classes::
    You cannot use the following field classes directly: they are bases
    for other, concrete field classes:
+
* <<int-fc,Abstract integer field class>>
* <<enum-fc,Abstract enumeration field class>>
* <<array-fc,Abstract array field class>>
* <<blob-fc,Abstract BLOB field class>>

Fixed/static-length field classes::
+
* {c-fl-ba-fc}
* {c-fl-bool-fc}
* {c-fl-int-fc}
* {c-fl-enum-fc}
* {c-fl-fp-fc}
* {c-sl-str-fc}
* {c-sl-blob-fc}

Variable/dynamic-length field classes::
+
* {c-vl-ba-fc}
* {c-vl-int-fc}
* {c-vl-enum-fc}
* {c-str-fc}
* {c-dl-str-fc}
* {c-dl-blob-fc}

Compound field classes::
    The following field classes contain one or more field classes.
+
* {c-struct-fc}
* {c-sl-array-fc}
* {c-dl-array-fc}
* {c-opt-fc}
* {c-var-fc}

A field class is a JSON object; its properties depend on its `type`
property.

.Common properties of a field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`"fixed-length-bit-array"`::
    {var-f} is a {fl-ba-fc}.

`"fixed-length-boolean"`::
    {var-f} is a {fl-bool-fc}.

`"fixed-length-unsigned-integer"`::
`"fixed-length-signed-integer"`::
    {var-f} is a {fl-int-fc}.

`"fixed-length-unsigned-enumeration"`::
`"fixed-length-signed-enumeration"`::
    {var-f} is a {fl-enum-fc}.

`"fixed-length-floating-point-number"`::
    {var-f} is a {fl-fp-fc}.

`"variable-length-bit-array"`::
    {var-f} is a {vl-ba-fc}.

`"variable-length-unsigned-integer"`::
`"variable-length-signed-integer"`::
    {var-f} is a {vl-int-fc}.

`"variable-length-unsigned-enumeration"`::
`"variable-length-signed-enumeration"`::
    {var-f} is a {vl-enum-fc}.

`"null-terminated-string"`::
    {var-f} is a {str-fc}.

`"static-length-string"`::
    {var-f} is a {sl-str-fc}.

`"static-length-blob"`::
    {var-f} is a {sl-blob-fc}.

`"dynamic-length-string"`::
    {var-f} is a {dl-str-fc}.

`"dynamic-length-blob"`::
    {var-f} is a {dl-blob-fc}.

`"structure"`::
    {var-f} is a {struct-fc}.

`"static-length-array"`::
    {var-f} is a {sl-array-fc}.

`"dynamic-length-array"`::
    {var-f} is a {dl-array-fc}.

`"optional"`::
    {var-f} is a {opt-fc}.

`"variant"`::
    {var-f} is a {var-fc}.
|Yes
|

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

The following <<frag,fragment>> properties require a
{struct-fc} as their value:

<<tc-frag,Trace class fragment>>::
    `packet-header-field-class`

<<dsc-frag,Data stream class fragment>>::
+
* `packet-context-field-class`
* `event-record-header-field-class`
* `event-record-common-context-field-class`

<<erc-frag,Event record class fragment>>::
+
* `specific-context-field-class`
* `payload-field-class`

[[field-loc]]
==== Field location

A _field location_ is a means for a consumer to find a field which it
needs to decode another field.

A consumer needs to find another field to decode instances of the
following <<fc,classes>>:

{c-dl-array-fc}::
{c-dl-str-fc}::
{c-dl-blob-fc}::
    Needs a <<fl-int-fc,{fl-uint}>> or
    <<vl-int-fc,{vl-uint}>> length field.

{c-opt-fc}::
    Needs a <<fl-bool-fc,{fl-bool}>>, <<fl-int-fc,{fl-int}>>, or
    <<vl-int-fc,{vl-int}>> selector field.

{c-var-fc}::
    Needs a <<fl-int-fc,{fl-int}>> or <<vl-int-fc,{vl-int}>> selector
    field.

A field location is a JSON array, where, in this order:

. The first element is the name (JSON string) of a root field from
  where to start the lookup, amongst:
+
[horizontal]
`"packet-header"`:::
    Packet header
`"packet-context"`:::
    Packet context
`"event-record-header"`:::
    Event record header
`"event-record-common-context"`:::
    Event record common context
`"event-record-specific-context"`:::
    Event record specific context
`"event-record-payload"`:::
    Event record payload

. The following elements are <<struct-fc,structure>> field member names
  (JSON strings) to follow to find the target field.

The length of a field location {must} be greater than or equal to two.

Let _**T**_ be a field which a consumer needs to decode another
field{nbsp}{var-s}:

* If {var-s} is in a packet header, then{nbsp}__**T**__ {must} be in the
  _same_ packet header.

* If {var-s} is in a packet context, then{nbsp}__**T**__ {must} be in
  one of:
** The packet header the _same_ packet.
** The _same_ packet context.

* If {var-s} is in an event record header, then{nbsp}__**T**__ {must}
  be in one of:
** The packet header of the _same_ packet.
** The packet context of the _same_ packet.
** The _same_ event record header.

* If {var-s} is in an event record common context, then{nbsp}__**T**__
  {must} be in one of:
** The packet header of the _same_ packet.
** The packet context of the _same_ packet.
** The event record header of the _same_ event record.
** The _same_ event record common context.

* If {var-s} is in an event record specific context, then{nbsp}__**T**__
  {must} be in one of:
** The packet header of the _same_ packet.
** The packet context of the _same_ packet.
** The event record header of the _same_ event record.
** The event record common context of the _same_ event record.
** The _same_ event record specific context.

* If {var-s} is in an event record payload, then{nbsp}__**T**__ {must}
  be in one of:
** The packet header of the _same_ packet.
** The packet context of the _same_ packet.
** The event record header of the _same_ event record.
** The event record common context of the _same_ event record.
** The event record common specific of the _same_ event record.
** The _same_ event record payload.

* If {var-s} and _**T**_ are _not_ in the same root field,
  then{nbsp}__**T**__ {must-not} be in any <<array-fc,array>> or
  <<opt-fc,optional>> field.

* If {var-s} and _**T**_ are in the same root field, then:
** If {var-s} is in an array field, then{nbsp}__**T**__ must be in the
   _same_ array field element.
** If {var-s} is in an optional field, then{nbsp}__**T**__ must be in the
   _same_ optional field.

If any structure member name{nbsp}__**N**__ of a field
location{nbsp}__**L**__ names a <<var-fc,variant field>>, then:

If _**N**_ is _not_ the last element of{nbsp}__**L**__::
    The variant field {must} select a structure field, from which the
    lookup process can continue, recursively.

If _**N**_ is the last element of{nbsp}__**L**__::
    The variant field {must} select the target field
    (<<fl-int-fc,{fl-int}>>, <<vl-int-fc,{vl-int}>>, or
    <<fl-bool-fc,{fl-bool}>>), recursively.

In both cases, _all_ the options of the variant field class {must} make
it possible for the lookup process to continue.

.<<dl-array,{c-dl-array}>> field and its length field in the same root field.
====
The following JSON object is an event record payload
{struct-fc}.

[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "structure",
  "members": [
    {
      "name": "corn", <3>
      "field-class": {
        "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer",
        "length": 32,
        "byte-order": "little-endian"
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "inside",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer",
        "length": 16,
        "byte-order": "little-endian"
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "carbon",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "dynamic-length-array", <1>
        "length-field-location": ["event-record-payload", "corn"], <2>
        "element-field-class": {
          "type": "null-terminated-string"
        }
      }
    }
  ]
}
----
<1> {c-dl-array-fc}.
<2> {c-dl-array-fc}'s length field location.
<3> Length member class.
====

.{c-dl-array} field and its length field in the same root field,
within the same array field element.
====
The following JSON object is an event record payload
{struct-fc}.

Both the {dl-array} field and its length field exist within the same
element of the <<sl-array-fc,{sl-array}>> field named `nature`.

[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "structure",
  "members": [
    {
      "name": "norm",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "null-terminated-string"
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "nature",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "static-length-array",
        "length": 43,
        "element-field-class": {
          "type": "structure",
          "members": [
            {
              "name": "laser", <3>
              "field-class": {
                "type": "variable-length-unsigned-integer"
              }
            },
            {
              "name": "joystick",
              "field-class": {
                "type": "dynamic-length-array", <1>
                "length-field-location": [ <2>
                  "event-record-payload",
                  "nature",
                  "laser"
                ],
                "element-field-class": {
                  "type": "null-terminated-string"
                }
              }
            }
          ]
        }
      }
    }
  ]
}
----
<1> {c-dl-array-fc}.
<2> {c-dl-array-fc}'s length field location.
<3> Length member class.
====

.{c-dl-array} and its length field in the same root field, within the
same <<var-fc,variant>> field.
====
The following JSON object is an event record payload
{struct-fc}.

Both the {dl-array} field and its length field exist within the same
option of the <<var-fc,variant>> field named `clinic`.

Moreover, the selector field of the `clinic` variant field is the
`lawyer` field.

[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "structure",
  "members": [
    {
      "name": "lawyer", <5>
      "field-class": {
        "type": "fixed-length-signed-integer",
        "length": 16,
        "byte-order": "little-endian"
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "clinic",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "variant",
        "selector-field-location": ["event-record-payload", "lawyer"], <4>
        "options": [
          {
            "selector-field-ranges": [[0, 0]],
            "field-class": {
              "type": "null-terminated-string"
            }
          },
          {
            "selector-field-ranges": [[1, 4]],
            "field-class": {
              "type": "structure",
              "members": [
                {
                  "name": "lemon", <3>
                  "field-class": {
                    "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer",
                    "length": 8,
                    "byte-order": "big-endian"
                  }
                },
                {
                  "name": "joystick",
                  "field-class": {
                    "type": "dynamic-length-array", <1>
                    "length-field-location": [ <2>
                      "event-record-payload",
                      "clinic",
                      "lemon"
                    ],
                    "element-field-class": {
                      "type": "null-terminated-string"
                    }
                  }
                }
              ]
            }
          },
          {
            "selector-field-ranges": [[5, 5], [7, 7]],
            "field-class": {
              "type": "fixed-length-boolean",
              "length": 8,
              "byte-order": "little-endian"
            }
          }
        ]
      }
    }
  ]
}
----
<1> {c-dl-array-fc}.
<2> {c-dl-array-fc}'s length field location.
<3> Length member class.
<4> Variant field class's selector field location.
<5> Selector member class.
====

.{c-dl-array} and its length field in the same root field; length
field is a variant field.
====
The following JSON object is an event record payload
{struct-fc}.

The length field of the {dl-array} field is a variant field: it can be
an 8-bit, a 16-bit, or a 32-bit <<fl-int-fc,{fl-int}>> field, depending
on the variant field's selection.

Moreover, the selector field of the variant field is located in another
root field (event record specific context).

[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "structure",
  "members": [
    {
      "name": "glass", <3>
      "field-class": {
        "type": "variant",
        "selector-field-location": ["event-record-specific-context", "sel"],
        "options": [
          {
            "selector-field-ranges": [[0, 0]],
            "field-class": {
              "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer", <4>
              "length": 8,
              "byte-order": "little-endian"
            }
          },
          {
            "selector-field-ranges": [[1, 1]],
            "field-class": {
              "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer", <4>
              "length": 16,
              "byte-order": "little-endian"
            }
          },
          {
            "selector-field-ranges": [[2, 2]],
            "field-class": {
              "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer", <4>
              "length": 32,
              "byte-order": "little-endian"
            }
          }
        ]
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "margin",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "dynamic-length-array", <1>
        "length-field-location": ["event-record-payload", "glass"], <2>
        "element-field-class": {
          "type": "null-terminated-string"
        }
      }
    }
  ]
}
----
<1> {c-dl-array-fc}.
<2> {c-dl-array-fc}'s length field location.
<3> Length member class.
<4> Possible length field class.
====

.{c-dl-array} and its length field in the same root field; structure
field containing length field is a variant field.
====
The following JSON object is an event record payload
{struct-fc}.

The length field of the {dl-array} field is within a structure field
which is a variant field.

Moreover:

* The selector field of the variant field is located in another root
  field (event record common context).

* The field class of the third option of the `glass` variant field class
  contains a {dl-blob-fc} (`lock` member); the
  length field of its instance is the previous member (`eagle`) within
  the same structure field.

[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "structure",
  "members": [
    {
      "name": "glass",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "variant",
        "selector-field-location": ["event-record-common-context", "sel"],
        "options": [
          {
            "selector-field-ranges": [[0, 0]],
            "field-class": {
              "type": "structure",
              "members": [
                {
                  "name": "eagle",
                  "field-class": {
                    "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer", <3>
                    "length": 16,
                    "byte-order": "little-endian"
                  }
                },
                {
                  "name": "road",
                  "field-class": {
                    "type": "null-terminated-string"
                  }
                }
              ]
            }
          },
          {
            "selector-field-ranges": [[32, 172]],
            "field-class": {
              "type": "structure",
              "members": [
                {
                  "name": "nuance",
                  "field-class": {
                    "type": "null-terminated-string"
                  }
                },
                {
                  "name": "eagle",
                  "field-class": {
                    "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer", <3>
                    "length": 24,
                    "byte-order": "big-endian"
                  }
                }
              ]
            }
          },
          {
            "selector-field-ranges": [[5, 5]],
            "field-class": {
              "type": "structure",
              "members": [
                {
                  "name": "eagle", <5>
                  "field-class": {
                    "type": "variable-length-unsigned-integer" <3>
                  }
                },
                {
                  "name": "lock",
                  "field-class": {
                    "type": "dynamic-length-blob",
                    "length-field-location": [ <4>
                      "event-record-payload",
                      "glass",
                      "eagle"
                    ]
                  }
                }
              ]
            }
          }
        ]
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "margin",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "dynamic-length-array", <1>
        "length-field-location": [ <2>
          "event-record-payload",
          "glass",
          "eagle"
        ],
        "element-field-class": {
          "type": "null-terminated-string"
        }
      }
    }
  ]
}
----
<1> {c-dl-array-fc}.
<2> {c-dl-array-fc}'s length field location.
<3> Possible length field class.
<4> {c-dl-blob-fc}'s length field location.
<5> Length field class for {dl-blob-fc}.

Note that both the {dl-array} and {dl-blob} field classes have the same
length field location.
====

.{c-dl-array} and its length field in another root field.
====
The following JSON objects are the event record specific context and
payload <<struct-fc,structure field classes>> of the same
<<erc-frag,event record class>>.

The length field of the event record payload's {dl-array} field is
within the event record specific context.

.Event record specific context field class.
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "structure",
  "members": [
    {
      "name": "cook",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "fixed-length-floating-point-number",
        "length": 64,
        "byte-order": "little-endian"
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "vegetable", <1>
      "field-class": {
        "type": "variable-length-unsigned-integer"
      }
    }
  ]
}
----
<1> Length member class.

.Event record payload field class.
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "structure",
  "members": [
    {
      "name": "avenue",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "dynamic-length-array", <1>
        "length-field-location": [ <2>
          "event-record-specific-context",
          "vegetable"
        ],
        "element-field-class": {
          "type": "null-terminated-string"
        }
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "railroad",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "null-terminated-string"
      }
    }
  ]
}
----
<1> {c-dl-array-fc}.
<2> {c-dl-array-fc}'s length field location.
====

[[int-range-set]]
==== Integer range set

An _integer range set_ is a JSON array of integer ranges.

An integer range set {must} contain one or more integer ranges.

An _integer range_ is a JSON array of two elements:

. The range's lower bound (JSON integer, included).
. The range's upper bound (JSON integer, included).

An integer range represents all the integer values from the range's
lower bound to its upper bound.

An integer range's upper bound {must} be greater than or equal to its
lower bound.

If both the lower and upper bounds of an integer range are equal, then
the integer range represents a single integer value.

.Integer ranges.
====
[source,json]
----
[3, 67]
----

[source,json]
----
[-45, 101]
----

.Single integer value.
[source,json]
----
[42, 42]
----
====

.Integer range set containing three integer ranges.
====
[source,json]
----
[[3, 67], [-45, 1], [42, 42]]
----
====

[[roles]]
==== Roles

Some <<fc,field class>> instances can have _roles_.

A role is specific semantics attached to the fields (instances) of a
field class. For example, the `packet-magic-number` role of a
{fl-int-fc} indicates that
the value of its instances {must} be the <<pkt,packet>> magic number
(0xc1fc1fc1).

Roles are a JSON array of role names (JSON strings).

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.

[[fl-ba-fc]]
==== {c-fl-ba} field class

A _{fl-ba}_ field class describes _{fl-ba}_ fields.

A {fl-ba} field is a simple array of contiguous bits, without any
attached integer type semantics.

The length, or number of bits, of a {fl-ba} field is a property
(`length`) of its class.

A {fl-ba} field class acts as a base of a {fl-bool-fc}, a {fl-int-fc},
and a {fl-fp-fc}.

.Common properties of a {fl-ba} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"fixed-length-bit-array"`.
|Yes
|

|`length`
|JSON integer
|Number of bits of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be greater than zero.
|Yes
|

|`byte-order`
|JSON string
|{c-bo} of an instance
of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`"big-endian"`::
    Big-endian.

`"little-endian"`::
    Little-endian.
|Yes
|

|`alignment`
|JSON integer
|Alignment of the first bit of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}
relative to the beginning of the <<pkt,packet>> which
contains this instance.

The value of this property {must} be a positive power of two.
|No
|`1`

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Minimal {fl-ba} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-bit-array",
  "length": 16,
  "byte-order": "little-endian"
}
----
====

.{c-fl-ba} field class with a 32-bit alignment.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-bit-array",
  "length": 48,
  "byte-order": "big-endian",
  "alignment": 32
}
----
====

.{c-fl-ba} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-bit-array",
  "length": 16,
  "byte-order": "little-endian",
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "is-nice": true
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[fl-bool-fc]]
==== {c-fl-bool} field class

A _{fl-bool}_ field class is a {fl-ba-fc} which describes
_{fl-bool}_ fields.

A {fl-bool} field is a {fl-ba} field which has the following
semantics:

If all the bit array field's bits are cleared (zero)::
    The {fl-bool} field's value is _false_.

Otherwise::
    The {fl-bool} field's value is _true_.

.Properties of a {fl-bool} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"fixed-length-boolean"`.
|Yes
|

|`length`
|JSON integer
|Number of bits of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be greater than zero.

Property inherited from the {fl-ba-fc}.
|Yes
|

|`byte-order`
|JSON string
|{c-bo} of an instance
of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`"big-endian"`::
    Big-endian.

`"little-endian"`::
    Little-endian.

Property inherited from the {fl-ba-fc}.
|Yes
|

|`alignment`
|JSON integer
|Alignment of the first bit of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}
relative to the beginning of the <<pkt,packet>> which
contains this instance.

The value of this property {must} be a positive power of two.

Property inherited from the {fl-ba-fc}.
|No
|`1`

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Minimal {fl-bool} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-boolean",
  "length": 16,
  "byte-order": "little-endian"
}
----
====

.{c-fl-bool} field class with a 32-bit alignment.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-boolean",
  "length": 48,
  "byte-order": "big-endian",
  "alignment": 32
}
----
====

.{c-fl-bool} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-boolean",
  "length": 16,
  "byte-order": "little-endian",
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "is-nice": true
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[int-fc]]
==== Abstract integer field class

An _abstract integer_ field class is a base of a {fl-int-fc} and a
{vl-int-fc}.

This field class is abstract in that it only exists to show the relation
between different integer field classes in this document: a <<pkt,packet>>
cannot contain an abstract integer field.

.Common property of an integer field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`preferred-display-base`
|JSON integer
|Preferred base to display the value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`2`::
    Binary base.

`8`::
    Octal base.

`10`::
    Decimal base.

`16`::
    Hexadecimal base.
|No
|`10`
|===

[[fl-int-fc]]
==== {c-fl-int} field class

A _{fl-int}_ field class is both an <<int-fc,abstract integer field
class>> and a {fl-ba-fc} which describes
_{fl-int}_ fields.

A {fl-int} field is a {fl-ba} field which has integer semantics.

If the value of a {fl-int} field class's `type` property is
`"fixed-length-signed-integer"`, then its instances have the two's
complement format.

A {fl-int} field class acts as a base of a {fl-enum-fc}.

.Common properties of a {fl-int} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`"fixed-length-unsigned-integer"`::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are {fl-uint} fields.

`"fixed-length-signed-integer"`::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are {fl-sint} fields.
|Yes
|

|`length`
|JSON integer
|Number of bits of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be greater than zero.

Property inherited from the {fl-ba-fc}.
|Yes
|

|`byte-order`
|JSON string
|{c-bo} of an instance
of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`"big-endian"`::
    Big-endian.

`"little-endian"`::
    Little-endian.

Property inherited from the {fl-ba-fc}.
|Yes
|

|`alignment`
|JSON integer
|Alignment of the first bit of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}
relative to the beginning of the <<pkt,packet>> which
contains this instance.

The value of this property {must} be a positive power of two.

Property inherited from the {fl-ba-fc}.
|No
|`1`

|`preferred-display-base`
|JSON integer
|Preferred base to display the value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`2`::
    Binary base.

`8`::
    Octal base.

`10`::
    Decimal base.

`16`::
    Hexadecimal base.

Property inherited from the <<int-fc,abstract integer field class>>.
|No
|`10`

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Minimal {fl-uint} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer",
  "length": 16,
  "byte-order": "little-endian"
}
----
====

.{c-fl-sint} field class with a 32-bit alignment.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-signed-integer",
  "length": 48,
  "byte-order": "big-endian",
  "alignment": 32
}
----
====

.{c-fl-uint} field class with a preferred hexadecimal display base.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer",
  "length": 48,
  "byte-order": "big-endian",
  "preferred-display-base": 16
}
----
====

.{c-fl-sint} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-signed-integer",
  "length": 16,
  "byte-order": "little-endian",
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "is-nice": true
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[enum-fc]]
==== Abstract enumeration field class

An _abstract enumeration_ field class is a base of a {fl-enum-fc} and a
{vl-enum-fc}.

This field class is abstract in that it only exists to show the relation
between different enumeration field classes in this document: a
<<pkt,packet>> cannot contain an abstract enumeration field.

An abstract enumeration field class is an <<int-fc,abstract integer
field class>>.

An enumeration field is an integer field which {may} have one or more
associated names thanks to its class's `mappings` property.

.Common property of an enumeration field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`preferred-display-base`
|JSON integer
|Preferred base to display the value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`2`::
    Binary base.

`8`::
    Octal base.

`10`::
    Decimal base.

`16`::
    Hexadecimal base.

Property inherited from the <<int-fc,abstract integer field class>>.
|No
|`10`

|`mappings`
|<<enum-fc-mappings,Enumeration field class mappings>>
|Mappings of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} contain one or more properties.
|Yes

|===

[[enum-fc-mappings]]
===== Enumeration field class mappings

_Enumeration field class mappings_ map names to
<<int-range-set,integer range sets>>.

Enumeration field class mappings are a JSON object, where each property
is:

[horizontal]
Name::
    Mapping name.

Value::
    Mapped ranges of integers (<<int-range-set,integer range set>>).

The integer ranges of two given mappings {may} overlap.

Enumeration field class mappings {must} contain one or more properties.

.Enumeration field class mappings with three mappings.
====
In this example, the `fortune` and `building` mappings overlap with the
values 4 and 5, and the `building` and `journal` mappings overlap with
the value 80.

[source,json]
----
{
  "fortune": [[3, 67], [-45, 1], [84, 84]],
  "building": [[4, 5], [75, 82]],
  "journal": [[100, 2305], [80, 80]]
}
----
====

[[fl-enum-fc]]
==== {c-fl-enum} field class

A _{fl-enum}_ field class is both an <<enum-fc,abstract enumeration
field class>> and a {fl-int-fc} which describes
_{fl-enum}_ fields.

A {fl-enum} field is a {fl-int} field which {may} have one or more
associated names thanks to its class's `mappings` property.

If the value of a {fl-enum} field class's `type` property is
`"fixed-length-signed-enumeration"`, then its instances have the two's
complement format.

.Properties of a {fl-enum} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`"fixed-length-unsigned-enumeration"`::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are {fl-uenum} fields.

`"fixed-length-signed-enumeration"`::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are {fl-senum} fields.
|Yes
|

|`length`
|JSON integer
|Number of bits of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be greater than zero.

Property inherited from the {fl-ba-fc}.
|Yes
|

|`byte-order`
|JSON string
|{c-bo} of an instance
of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`"big-endian"`::
    Big-endian.

`"little-endian"`::
    Little-endian.

Property inherited from the {fl-ba-fc}.
|Yes
|

|`alignment`
|JSON integer
|Alignment of the first bit of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}
relative to the beginning of the <<pkt,packet>> which
contains this instance.

The value of this property {must} be a positive power of two.

Property inherited from the {fl-ba-fc}.
|No
|`1`

|`preferred-display-base`
|JSON integer
|Preferred base to display the value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`2`::
    Binary base.

`8`::
    Octal base.

`10`::
    Decimal base.

`16`::
    Hexadecimal base.

Property inherited from the <<int-fc,abstract integer field class>>.
|No
|`10`

|`mappings`
|<<enum-fc-mappings,Enumeration field class mappings>>
|Mappings of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} contain one or more properties.

Property inherited from the <<enum-fc,abstract enumeration field class>>.
|Yes
|

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Minimal {fl-uenum} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-enumeration",
  "length": 16,
  "byte-order": "little-endian",
  "mappings": {
    "apple": [[1, 19]]
  }
}
----
====

.{c-fl-senum} field class with a 32-bit alignment.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-signed-enumeration",
  "length": 48,
  "byte-order": "big-endian",
  "alignment": 32,
  "mappings": {
    "banana": [[-27399, -1882], [8, 199], [101, 101]],
    "orange": [[67, 67], [43, 1534]]
  }
}
----
====

.{c-fl-uenum} field class with a preferred hexadecimal display base.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-enumeration",
  "length": 8,
  "byte-order": "big-endian",
  "preferred-display-base": 16,
  "mappings": {
    "lime": [[3, 3]],
    "kiwi": [[8, 8]],
    "blueberry": [[11, 11]]
  }
}
----
====

.{c-fl-senum} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-signed-enumeration",
  "length": 16,
  "byte-order": "little-endian",
  "mappings": {
    "mango": [[23, 42]]
  },
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "is-nice": true
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[fl-fp-fc]]
==== {c-fl-fp} field class

A _{fl-fp}_ field class is a {fl-ba-fc} which describes _{fl-fp}_
fields.

A {fl-fp} field is a {fl-ba} field which has floating point number
semantics.

.Properties of a {fl-fp} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"fixed-length-floating-point-number"`.
|Yes
|

|`length`
|JSON integer
|Number of bits of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`16`::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are binary16 floating point numbers,
    as per {ieee754}.

`32`::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are binary32 floating point numbers.

`64`::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are binary64 floating point numbers.

`128`::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are binary128 floating point
    numbers.

_**K**_, where _**K**_ is greater than{nbsp}128 and a multiple of{nbsp}32::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are binary__**K**__ floating point
    numbers.

Property inherited from the {fl-ba-fc}.
|Yes
|

|`byte-order`
|JSON string
|{c-bo} of an instance
of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`"big-endian"`::
    Big-endian.

`"little-endian"`::
    Little-endian.

Property inherited from the {fl-ba-fc}.
|Yes
|

|`alignment`
|JSON integer
|Alignment of the first bit of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}
relative to the beginning of the <<pkt,packet>> which
contains this instance.

The value of this property {must} be a positive power of two.

Property inherited from the {fl-ba-fc}.
|No
|`1`

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Minimal binary32 {fl-fp} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-floating-point-number",
  "length": 32,
  "byte-order": "little-endian"
}
----
====

.binary64 {fl-fp} field class with a 32-bit alignment.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-floating-point-number",
  "length": 64,
  "byte-order": "big-endian",
  "alignment": 32
}
----
====

.binary192 {fl-fp} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "fixed-length-floating-point-number",
  "length": 192,
  "byte-order": "little-endian",
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "is-nice": true
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[vl-ba-fc]]
==== {c-vl-ba} field class

A _{vl-ba}_ field class describes _{vl-ba}_ fields.

A {vl-ba} field is a sequence of bytes with a variable length
which contains an array of bits of which the length is a
multiple of{nbsp}7. A {vl-ba} field is encoded as per
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LEB128[LEB128].

A {vl-ba} field class acts as a base of a {vl-int-fc}.

.Common properties of a {vl-ba} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"variable-length-bit-array"`.
|Yes
|

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Minimal {vl-ba} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "variable-length-bit-array"
}
----
====

.{c-vl-ba} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "variable-length-bit-array",
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "is-nice": true
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[vl-int-fc]]
==== {c-vl-int} field class

A _{vl-int}_ field class is both an <<int-fc,abstract integer field
class>> and a {vl-ba-fc} which describes
_{vl-int}_ fields.

A {vl-int} field is a {vl-ba} field which has integer semantics.

If the value of a {vl-int} field class's `type` property is
`"variable-length-signed-integer"`, then its instances have the two's
complement format.

A {vl-int} field class acts as a base of a {vl-enum-fc}.

.Common properties of a {vl-int} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`"variable-length-unsigned-integer"`::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are {vl-uint} fields.

`"variable-length-signed-integer"`::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are {vl-sint} fields.
|Yes
|

|`preferred-display-base`
|JSON integer
|Preferred base to display the value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`2`::
    Binary base.

`8`::
    Octal base.

`10`::
    Decimal base.

`16`::
    Hexadecimal base.

Property inherited from the <<int-fc,abstract integer field class>>.
|No
|`10`

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Minimal {vl-uint} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "variable-length-unsigned-integer"
}
----
====

.{c-vl-sint} field class with a preferred hexadecimal display base.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "variable-length-signed-integer",
  "preferred-display-base": 16
}
----
====

.{c-vl-uint} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "variable-length-unsigned-integer",
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "is-nice": true
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[vl-enum-fc]]
==== {c-vl-enum} field class

A _{vl-enum}_ field class is both an <<enum-fc,abstract enumeration
field class>> and a {vl-int-fc} which describes
_{vl-enum}_ fields.

A {vl-enum} field is a {vl-int} field which {may} have one or more
associated names thanks to its class's `mappings` property.

If the value of a {vl-enum} field class's `type` property is
`"variable-length-signed-enumeration"`, then its instances have the
two's complement format.

.Properties of a {vl-enum} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`"variable-length-unsigned-enumeration"`::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are {vl-uenum} fields.

`"variable-length-signed-enumeration"`::
    The instances of{nbsp}{var-f} are {vl-senum} fields.
|Yes
|

|`preferred-display-base`
|JSON integer
|Preferred base to display the value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be one of:

`2`::
    Binary base.

`8`::
    Octal base.

`10`::
    Decimal base.

`16`::
    Hexadecimal base.

Property inherited from the <<int-fc,abstract integer field class>>.
|No
|`10`

|`mappings`
|<<enum-fc-mappings,Enumeration field class mappings>>
|Mappings of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} contain one or more properties.

Property inherited from the <<enum-fc,abstract enumeration field class>>.
|Yes
|

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Minimal {vl-uenum} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "variable-length-unsigned-enumeration",
  "mappings": {
    "apple": [[1, 19]]
  }
}
----
====

.{c-vl-uenum} field class with a preferred hexadecimal display base.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "variable-length-unsigned-enumeration",
  "preferred-display-base": 16,
  "mappings": {
    "lime": [[3, 3]],
    "kiwi": [[8, 8]],
    "blueberry": [[11, 11]]
  }
}
----
====

.{c-vl-senum} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "variable-length-signed-enumeration",
  "mappings": {
    "banana": [[-27399, -1882], [8, 199], [101, 101]],
    "orange": [[67, 67], [43, 1534]]
  },
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "is-nice": true
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[str-fc]]
==== {c-str} field class

A _{str}_ field class describes _{str}_ fields.

A {str} field is, in this order:

. Zero or more contiguous non-null (non-zero) bytes which form a
  UTF-8-encoded string.

. One null (zero) byte.

.Properties of a {str} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"null-terminated-string"`.
|Yes
|

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Minimal {str} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "null-terminated-string"
}
----
====

.{c-str} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "null-terminated-string",
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "is-nice": true
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[sl-str-fc]]
==== {c-sl-str} field class

A _{sl-str}_ field class describes _{sl-str}_ fields.

A {sl-str} field is a sequence of zero or more contiguous bytes. All
the bytes of a {sl-str} before the first null (zero) byte, if any,
form a UTF-8-encoded string. All the bytes after the first null (zero)
byte, if any, are garbage data.

The length, or number of bytes, of a {sl-str} field is a property
(`length`) of its class.

.Properties of a {sl-str} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"static-length-string"`.
|Yes
|

|`length`
|JSON integer
|Number of bytes contained in an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be greater than or equal to zero.
|Yes
|

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Empty {sl-str} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "static-length-string",
  "length": 0
}
----
====

.{c-sl-str} field class with instances having 100{nbsp}bytes.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "static-length-string",
  "length": 100
}
----
====

.{c-sl-str} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "static-length-string",
  "length": 13,
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": null
  }
}
----
====

[[dl-str-fc]]
==== {c-dl-str} field class

A _{dl-str}_ field class describes _{dl-str}_ fields.

A {dl-str} field is a sequence of zero or more contiguous bytes. All
the bytes of a {dl-str} before the first null (zero) byte, if any,
form a UTF-8-encoded string. All the bytes after the first null (zero)
byte, if any, are garbage data.

The length, or number of bytes, of a {dl-str} field is the value of
another, anterior length field. A consumer can find this length field
thanks to the {dl-str} field class's `length-field-location` property.

.Properties of a {dl-str} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"static-length-string"`.
|Yes
|

|`length-field-location`
|<<field-loc,Field location>>
|Location of the field of which the value is the number of bytes
contained in an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The class of the length field {must} be one of:

* {c-fl-uint-fc}
* {c-vl-uint-fc}
|Yes
|

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.{c-dl-str} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "dynamic-length-string",
  "length-field-location": ["event-record-payload", "length"]
}
----
====

.{c-dl-str} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "dynamic-length-string",
  "length-field-location": ["event-record-common-context", "name-length"],
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": 177
  }
}
----
====

[[blob-fc]]
==== Abstract BLOB field class

An _abstract https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_large_object[BLOB]_
field class is a base of a {sl-blob-fc} and a {dl-blob-fc}.

This field class is abstract in that it only exists to show the relation
between different BLOB field classes in this document: a <<pkt,packet>>
cannot contain an abstract BLOB field.

.Common properties of a BLOB field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`media-type`
|JSON string
|https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Basics_of_HTTP/MIME_types[IANA
media type] of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`"application/octet-stream"`
|===

[[sl-blob-fc]]
==== {c-sl-blob} field class

A _{sl-blob}_ field class is an <<blob-fc,abstract BLOB field class>>
which describes _{sl-blob}_ fields.

A {sl-blob} field is a sequence of zero or more contiguous bytes with an
associated IANA media type (given by its class's `media-type` property).

The length, or number of bytes, of a {sl-blob} field is a property
(`length`) of its class.

.Properties of a {sl-blob} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"static-length-blob"`.
|Yes
|

|`length`
|JSON integer
|Number of bytes contained in an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be greater than or equal to zero.
|Yes
|

|`media-type`
|JSON string
|https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Basics_of_HTTP/MIME_types[IANA
media type] of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Property inherited from the <<blob-fc,abstract BLOB field class>>.
|No
|`"application/octet-stream"`

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Empty {sl-blob} field class with a default IANA media type.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "static-length-blob",
  "length": 0
}
----
====

.Static-length TIFF BLOB field class with instances having 511,267{nbsp}bytes.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "static-length-blob",
  "length": 511267,
  "media-type": "image/tif"
}
----
====

.Static-length CSV BLOB field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "static-length-blob",
  "length": 2400,
  "media-type": "text/csv",
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "csv-cols": 12
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[dl-blob-fc]]
==== {c-dl-blob} field class

A _{dl-blob}_ field class is an <<blob-fc,abstract BLOB field class>>
which describes _{dl-blob}_ fields.

A {dl-blob} field is a sequence of zero or more contiguous bytes with an
associated IANA media type.

The length, or number of bytes, of a {dl-blob} field is the value of
another, anterior length field. A consumer can find this length field
thanks to the {dl-blob} field class's `length-field-location` property.

.Properties of a {dl-blob} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"dynamic-length-blob"`.
|Yes
|

|`length-field-location`
|<<field-loc,Field location>>
|Location of the field of which the value is the number of bytes
contained in an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The class of the length field {must} be one of:

* {c-fl-uint-fc}
* {c-vl-uint-fc}
|Yes
|

|`media-type`
|JSON string
|https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Basics_of_HTTP/MIME_types[IANA
media type] of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Property inherited from the <<blob-fc,abstract BLOB field class>>.
|No
|`"application/octet-stream"`

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.{c-dl-blob} field class with a default IANA media type.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "dynamic-length-blob",
  "length-field-location": ["event-record-payload", "length"]
}
----
====

.Dynamic-length JPEG BLOB field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "dynamic-length-blob",
  "length-field-location": ["event-record-common-context", "length"],
  "media-type": "image/jpeg",
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "quality": 85
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[struct-fc]]
==== Structure field class

A _structure field class_ describes _structure fields_.

A structure field is a sequence of zero or more structure field
_members_. A structure field member is a named field.

.Properties of a structure field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"structure"`.
|Yes
|

|`members`
|JSON array of <<struct-member-cls,structure field member classes>>
|Classes of the members of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Each member class's `name` property must be unique within this field
class's member class names.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`minimum-alignment`
|JSON integer
|Minimum alignment of the first bit of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}
relative to the beginning of the <<pkt,packet>> which contains this
instance.

The value of this property {must} be a positive power of two.

The <<align-dec,_effective_ alignment>> of the first bit of an instance
of{nbsp}{var-f} {may} be greater than the value of this property.
|No
|`1`

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Empty structure field class (no member classes).
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "structure"
}
----
====

.Structure field class with three member classes.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "structure",
  "members": [
    {
      "name": "Villeray",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "null-terminated-string"
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "Berri",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer",
        "length": 32,
        "byte-order": "little-endian",
        "preferred-display-base": 2
      },
      "user-attributes": {
        "my.tracer": {
          "is-mask": true
        }
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "Faillon",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "fixed-length-boolean",
        "length": 8,
        "byte-order": "little-endian"
      }
    }
  ]
}
----
====

.Structure field class with a minimum alignment.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "structure",
  "members": [
    {
      "name": "St-Denis",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "null-terminated-string"
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "Lajeunesse",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer",
        "length": 32,
        "byte-order": "big-endian",
        "alignment": 32
      }
    }
  ],
  "minimum-alignment": 64
}
----
====

.Structure field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "structure",
  "members": [
    {
      "name": "Henri-Julien",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "fixed-length-signed-integer",
        "length": 48,
        "byte-order": "little-endian"
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "Casgrain",
      "field-class": {
        "type": "static-length-string",
        "length": 32
      }
    }
  ],
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "version": 4
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[struct-member-cls]]
===== Structure field member class

A _structure field member class_ describes _structure field members_.

A structure field member class is a JSON object.

.Properties of a structure field member class _**M**_.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`name`
|JSON string
|Name of{nbsp}__**M**__.
|Yes
|

|`field-class`
|<<fc,Field class>>
|Field class of{nbsp}__**M**__.
|Yes
|

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}__**M**__.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}__**M**__.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.<<str-fc,{c-str} field class>> member class named `cat`.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "name": "cat",
  "field-class": {
    "type": "null-terminated-string"
  }
}
----
====

.{c-vl-sint-fc} member class named `dog` with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "name": "dog",
  "field-class": {
    "type": "variable-length-signed-integer",
    "preferred-display-base": 8
  },
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "uuid": "f36100b8-ec36-4861-8d6b-a9d6ab8973c9",
      "is-pid": true
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[array-fc]]
==== Abstract array field class

An _abstract array_ field class is a base of a {sl-array-fc}
and a {dl-array-fc}.

This field class is abstract in that it only exists to show the relation
between different array field classes in this document: a <<pkt,packet>>
cannot contain an abstract array field.

.Common properties of an array field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`element-field-class`
|<<fc,Field class>>
|Class of the element fields contained in an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|Yes

|===

[[sl-array-fc]]
==== {c-sl-array} field class

A _{sl-array}_ field class is an <<array-fc,abstract array field class>>
which describes _{sl-array}_ fields.

A {sl-array} field is a sequence of zero or more element fields.

The length, or number of element fields, of a {sl-array} field is a
property (`length`) of its class.

.Properties of a {sl-array} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"static-length-array"`.
|Yes
|

|`element-field-class`
|<<fc,Field class>>
|Class of the element fields contained in an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Property inherited from the <<array-fc,abstract array field class>>.
|Yes
|

|`length`
|JSON integer
|Number of element fields contained in an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be greater than or equal to zero.
|Yes
|

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Empty {sl-array} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "static-length-array",
  "element-field-class": {
    "type": "fixed-length-signed-integer",
    "length": 16,
    "byte-order": "little-endian",
    "alignment": 16
  },
  "length": 0
}
----
====

.{c-sl-array} field class with instances having
100{nbsp}<<str-fc,{str}>> fields.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "static-length-array",
  "element-field-class": {
    "type": "null-terminated-string"
  },
  "length": 100
}
----
====

.{c-sl-array} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "static-length-array",
  "element-field-class": {
    "type": "variable-length-unsigned-integer"
  },
  "length": 13,
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": true
  }
}
----
====

[[dl-array-fc]]
==== {c-dl-array} field class

A _{dl-array}_ field class is an <<array-fc,abstract array field class>>
which describes _{dl-array}_ fields.

A {dl-array} field is a sequence of zero or more element fields.

The length, or number of element fields, of a {dl-array} field is the
value of another, anterior length field. A consumer can find this length
field thanks to the {dl-array} field class's `length-field-location`
property.

.Properties of a {dl-array} field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"dynamic-length-array"`.
|Yes
|

|`element-field-class`
|<<fc,Field class>>
|Class of the element fields contained in an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Property inherited from the <<array-fc,abstract array field class>>.
|Yes
|

|`length-field-location`
|<<field-loc,Field location>>
|Location of the field of which the value is the number of element
fields contained in an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The class of the length field {must} be one of:

* {c-fl-uint-fc}
* {c-vl-uint-fc}
|Yes
|

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.{c-dl-array} field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "dynamic-length-array",
  "element-field-class": {
    "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer",
    "length": 32,
    "byte-order": "big-endian",
    "alignment": 16
  },
  "length-field-location": ["event-record-payload", "length"]
}
----
====

.{c-dl-array} field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "dynamic-length-array",
  "element-field-class": {
    "type": "variable-length-unsigned-integer"
  },
  "length-field-location": ["packet-context", "common-length"],
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": 177
  }
}
----
====

[[opt-fc]]
==== Optional field class

An _optional_ field class describes _optional_ fields.

An optional field is, depending on the value of another, anterior
selector field, one of:

* An instance of a given field class (optional field class's
  `field-class` property).
+
In this case, the optional field is said to be _enabled_.

* A zero-bit field (no field).
+
In this case, the optional field is said to be _disabled_.

A consumer can find the selector field thanks to the optional field
class's `selector-field-location` property.

.Properties of an optional field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"optional"`.
|Yes
|

|`field-class`
|<<fc,Field class>>
|Class of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} when it's enabled.
|Yes
|

|`selector-field-location`
|<<field-loc,Field location>>
|Location of the field of which the value indicates whether or not an
instance of{nbsp}{var-f} is enabled.

The selector field {must} be an instance of one of:

{c-fl-bool-fc}::
    An instance of{nbsp}{var-f} is enabled when the selector field is
    true.

{c-fl-int-fc}::
{c-vl-int-fc}::
    An instance of{nbsp}{var-f} is enabled when the selector field's
    value is an element of any of the integer ranges of{nbsp}{var-f}'s
    `selector-field-ranges` property.
|Yes
|

|`selector-field-ranges`
|<<int-range-set,Integer range set>>
|Ranges of integers which the value of a selector field {must} be an
element of to enable an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|Yes, if the selector field is an instance of a {fl-int-fc}
or a {vl-int-fc}.
|None if the selector field is an instance of a {fl-bool-fc}.

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Optional {sl-array-fc} with a <<bool-fc,boolean>> selector field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "optional",
  "selector-field-location": ["event-record-payload", "has-ip"],
  "field-class": {
    "type": "static-length-array",
    "element-field-class": {
      "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer",
      "length": 8,
      "byte-order": "little-endian",
      "alignment": 8
    },
    "length": 16
  }
}
----
====

.Optional {sl-array-fc} with a <<fl-int-fc,fixed-length signed
integer>> selector field class.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "optional",
  "selector-field-location": ["event-record-payload", "has-ip"],
  "selector-field-ranges": [[-12, -12], [-5, 0], [15, 35]],
  "field-class": {
    "type": "static-length-array",
    "element-field-class": {
      "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer",
      "length": 8,
      "byte-order": "little-endian",
      "alignment": 8
    },
    "length": 16
  }
}
----
====

[[var-fc]]
==== Variant field class

A _variant_ field class describes _variant_ fields.

A variant field is, depending on the value of another, anterior selector
field, the instance of a specific, effective field class amongst one or
more _variant field class options_.

A consumer can find the selector field thanks to the variant field
class's `selector-field-location` property.

.Properties of a variant field class {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"variant"`.
|Yes
|

|`options`
|JSON array of <<var-fc-opt,variant field class options>>
|Options containing the possible effective classes of an instance
of{nbsp}{var-f}.

This array {must} contain one or more elements.

Each option's `name` property, if it's set, must be unique within this
field class's option names.

The integer ranges (`selector-field-ranges` property) of two given
options {must-not} intersect.
|Yes
|

|`selector-field-location`
|<<field-loc,Field location>>
|Location of the field of which the value indicates which option
of{nbsp}{var-f} contains the effective class of an instance
of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The selector field {must} be an instance of one of:

* {c-fl-int-fc}
* {c-vl-int-fc}
|Yes
|

|`roles`
|<<roles,Roles>>
|Roles of{nbsp}{var-f}.

See <<tc-frag>> and <<dsc-frag>> which indicate accepted
roles for their root field classes.
|No
|`+[]+`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Variant field class with two options.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "variant",
  "selector-field-location": ["event-record-payload", "sel"],
  "options": [
    {
      "field-class": {
        "type": "null-terminated-string"
      },
      "selector-field-ranges": [[5, 5]]
    },
    {
      "field-class": {
        "type": "fixed-length-signed-integer",
        "length": 16,
        "byte-order": "little-endian",
        "preferred-display-base": 8
      },
      "selector-field-ranges": [[8, 8]]
    }
  ]
}
----
====

.Variant field class within an {opt-fc} which share the same selector
field location.
====
This example shows that an optional field class and a contained variant
field class {may} share the same selector field location.

In this example, depending on the selector field's value:

[horizontal]
0::
    Optional field is _not_ enabled.

1::
    Optional field is enabled and is a variant field.
+
Variant field is an instance of a {str-fc} (effective class).

2::
    Optional field is enabled and is a variant field.
+
Variant field is an instance of a {vl-sint-fc}
(effective class).

[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "optional",
  "selector-field-location": ["event-record-payload", "sel"],
  "selector-field-ranges": [[1, 255]],
  "field-class": {
    "type": "variant",
    "selector-field-location": ["event-record-payload", "sel"],
    "options": [
      {
        "field-class": {
          "type": "null-terminated-string"
        },
        "selector-field-ranges": [[1, 1]]
      },
      {
        "field-class": {
          "type": "variable-length-signed-integer",
          "preferred-display-base": 16
        },
        "selector-field-ranges": [[2, 2]]
      }
    ]
  }
}
----
====

.Variant field class with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "variant",
  "selector-field-location": ["event-record-specific-context", "sel"],
  "options": [
    {
      "field-class": {
        "type": "static-length-string",
        "length": 20
      },
      "selector-field-ranges": [[5, 5], [10, 10], [15, 15]]
    },
    {
      "field-class": {
        "type": "fixed-length-floating-point-number",
        "length": 32,
        "byte-order": "big-endian"
      },
      "selector-field-ranges": [[0, 4], [6, 9], [11, 14], [16, 127]]
    }
  ],
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "owner": "Jimmy",
      "id": 199990
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[var-fc-opt]]
===== Variant field class option

A _variant field class option_ contains a possible effective class of a
variant field.

A variant field class option _**O**_ also contains the ranges of integer
values (`selector-field-ranges` property) of which a selector field's
value {must} be an element of for a variant field's effective class to
be the field class of {var-o}.

A variant field class option is a JSON object.

.Properties of a variant field class option {var-o} contained in a
variant field class{nbsp}{var-f}.
[%header%autowidth, cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`field-class`
|<<fc,Field class>>
|Field class of{nbsp}{var-o}.
|Yes
|

|`selector-field-ranges`
|<<int-range-set,Integer range set>>
|Ranges of integers which the value of a selector field {must} be an
element of for the effective class of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}
to be the field class (`field-class` property) of{nbsp}{var-o}.
|Yes
|

|`name`
|JSON string
|Name of{nbsp}{var-o}.

This property exists to remain backward compatible with {ctf1}.
|No
|{var-o} is unnamed

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-o}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-o}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Unnamed {str-fc} option.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "field-class": {
    "type": "null-terminated-string"
  },
  "selector-field-ranges": [[3, 9]]
}
----
====

.{c-vl-sint-fc} option named `juice` with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "name": "juice",
  "field-class": {
    "type": "variable-length-signed-integer",
    "preferred-display-base": 16
  },
  "selector-field-ranges": [[-4, 4], [9, 9], [100, 200]],
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "uuid": "f36100b8-ec36-4861-8d6b-a9d6ab8973c9",
      "is-did": true
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[preamble-frag]]
=== Preamble fragment

A _preamble fragment_ indicates:

* The {ctf2} major version (2).
+
{ctf2} doesn't have a minor version: all new changes are introduced as
<<ext,extensions>>.

* <<ext,Extension>> declarations.
+
An extension declaration is an initial extension of which the purpose is
to declare that it's _enabled_ within the <<metadata-stream,metadata
stream>>.
+
Because an extension {may} alter the {ctf2} format itself, and because a
preamble fragment is always the first metadata stream fragment, those
extension declarations make it possible for a consumer to decline the
trace's <<ds,data streams>> gracefully if it doesn't support _any_
declared extension.

The first fragment of a metadata stream {must} be a preamble fragment.

.Properties of a preamble fragment {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"preamble"`.
|Yes
|

|`version`
|JSON integer
|{ctf2} major version.

The value of this property {must} be `2`.
|Yes
|

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extension declarations of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The name of each property is a <<ns-def,namespace>> and its value is a
<<ns-exts-obj,namespaced extensions object>>.

Within a <<ns-exts-obj,namespaced extensions object>>, an extension
named{nbsp}__**N**__ is _declared_ when it exists as a property
named{nbsp}__**N**__, whatever the property's value.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

.Minimal preamble fragment.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "preamble",
  "version": 2
}
----
====

.Preamble fragment with <<ext,extension>> declarations.
====
The following preamble fragment declares the `piano` and `ramen`
extensions under the `my.tracer` namespace.

[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "preamble",
  "version": 2,
  "extensions": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "piano": {
        "keys": 88,
        "temperament": "equal"
      },
      "ramen": null
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[tc-frag]]
=== Trace class fragment

A _trace class_ describes <<trace,_traces_>>.

Within a metadata stream, a trace class fragment {must} occur before
any <<dsc-frag,data stream class fragment>>.

.Properties of a trace class fragment {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth,cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"trace-class"`.
|Yes
|

|`uuid`
|<<uuid,UUID>>
|UUID of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}has no UUID

|`packet-header-field-class`
|{c-struct-fc}
|Class of all the <<pkt-header,packet header fields>> of an instance
of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any <<fc,field class>> within this property's value {must} satisfy at
least one of:

* Have at least one valid <<pkt-header-roles,role>>.
* Be a {struct-fc}.
* Be an {opt-fc}.
* Be a {var-fc}.
* Be the class of a field which is the selector field of an optional
  or variant field.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}has no packet header field class

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

==== Roles

[[pkt-header-roles]]If the `packet-header-field-class` property of a
trace class fragment exists, then its inner <<fc,field classes>> {may}
have the following <<roles,roles>>:

.Roles of field classes within a packet header field class.
[%header%autowidth,cols="d,d,a,a"]
|===
|Name |Description |Field class ({var-f}) constraints |Other constraints

|`packet-magic-number`
|<<pkt,Packet>> magic number.

The purpose of a packet magic number field is to confirm the
beginning of a {ctf2} packet.
|{c-fl-uint-fc} with the following property value:

[horizontal]
`length`::
    `32`
|An instance of{nbsp}{var-f} {must} be the packet header structure
field's _first_ member.

The value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} value {must} be 0xc1fc1fc1
(3254525889).

|`trace-class-uuid`
|Trace class UUID.

The purpose of a trace class UUID field is to confirm the association
between a <<ds,data stream>> and a <<metadata-stream-overview,metadata
stream>>.
|{c-sl-blob-fc} with the following property value:

[horizontal]
`length`::
    `16`
|The `uuid` property of the trace class must exist.

The value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} {must} be the binary
representation of the `uuid` property of the trace class.

|`data-stream-class-id`
|Data stream class ID.

The purpose of a data stream class ID field is to set the current ID of
the class of the packet's data stream.
|{c-fl-uint-fc} or {vl-uint-fc}.
|

|`data-stream-id`
|Data stream ID.

The purpose of a data stream ID field is to set the current ID of
the packet's data stream.

Combined with the ID of its class, such a field makes it possible to
uniquely identify a data stream within a <<trace,trace>>.
|{c-fl-uint-fc} or {vl-uint-fc}.

|===

.Trace class fragment.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "trace-class",
  "uuid": "1ec96494-e402-4546-93db-e9222bee6cc7",
  "packet-header-field-class": {
    "type": "structure",
    "members": [
      {
        "name": "the magic!",
        "field-class": {
          "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer",
          "length": 32,
          "byte-order": "little-endian",
          "preferred-display-base": 16,
          "roles": ["packet-magic-number"]
        }
      },
      {
        "name": "the UUID",
        "field-class": {
          "type": "static-length-blob",
          "length": 16,
          "roles": ["trace-class-uuid"]
        }
      },
      {
        "name": "my data stream class ID",
        "field-class": {
          "type": "fixed-length-unsigned-integer",
          "length": 8,
          "byte-order": "little-endian",
          "roles": ["data-stream-class-id"]
        }
      },
      {
        "name": "my data stream ID",
        "field-class": {
          "type": "variable-length-unsigned-integer",
          "roles": ["data-stream-id"]
        }
      }
    ]
  }
}
----
====

[[cc-frag]]
=== Clock class fragment

A _clock class_ describes _clocks_.

A <<ds,data stream>> {may} have a <<def-clk,default clock>>.

Within a metadata stream, a clock class fragment {must} occur before any
<<dsc-frag,data stream class fragment>> which refers to it by name with
its `default-clock-class-name` property.

.Properties of a clock class fragment {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth,cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"clock-class"`.
|Yes
|

|`frequency`
|JSON integer
|Frequency of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} (Hz).

The value of this property {must} be greater than zero.
|Yes
|

|`name`
|JSON string
|Name of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|Yes
|

|`description`
|JSON string
|Textual description of{nbsp}{var-f}.

This property exists to remain backward compatible with {ctf1}.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}has no textual description

|`uuid`
|<<uuid,UUID>>
|UUID of{nbsp}{var-f}.

This property exists to remain backward compatible with {ctf1}.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}has no UUID

|`origin-is-unix-epoch`
|JSON boolean
|Whether or not the origin of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} is
the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time[Unix epoch].

If the value of this property is `false`, then the origin of
an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} is unknown.
|No
|`true`

|`offset`
|<<cc-offset,Clock class offset>>
|Offset of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} relative to its origin.

Let:

* _**H**_ be the value of {var-f}'s `frequency` property.
* {var-o} be the value of this property.
* {var-s} be the value of {var-o}'s `seconds` property.
* _**C**_ be the value of {var-o}'s `cycles` property.

Then the effective offset of an instance of {var-f}, in clock
cycles,
is{nbsp}{var-s}{nbsp}{times}{nbsp}__**H**__{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}__**C**__.
|No
|`{"seconds":{nbsp}0, "cycles":{nbsp}0}`

|`precision`
|JSON integer
|Precision of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} (clock cycles).

The value of this property {must} be greater than or equal to zero.

Let{nbsp}{var-p} be the value of this property and{nbsp}__**V**__
the value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}: the range of possible
values of the instance
is{nbsp}[__**V**__{nbsp}{minus}{nbsp}{var-p},{nbsp}__**V**__{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}{var-p}].
|No
|`0`

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

Within a metadata stream, two given clock class fragments {must-not}:

* Share the same `name` property value.
* Share the same `uuid` property value.

.Minimal clock class fragment (1{nbsp}GHz frequency).
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "clock-class",
  "name": "my clock class",
  "frequency": 1000000000
}
----
====

.Clock class fragment with a UUID.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "clock-class",
  "name": "my clock class",
  "frequency": 1000000000,
  "uuid": "74d2008c-efff-4d03-8163-e9e2866acf20"
}
----
====

.Clock class fragment with an offset.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "clock-class",
  "name": "my clock class",
  "frequency": 1000000000,
  "offset": {
    "seconds": 1605112699,
    "cycles": 2878388
  }
}
----
====

.Clock class fragment with a precision.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "clock-class",
  "name": "my clock class",
  "frequency": 8000000,
  "precision": 100
}
----
====

.Clock class fragment with an origin which is not the Unix epoch.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "clock-class",
  "name": "my clock class",
  "frequency": 1000000000,
  "origin-is-unix-epoch": false
}
----
====

.Clock class fragment with <<user-attrs,user attributes>>.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "type": "clock-class",
  "name": "my clock class",
  "frequency": 16000000,
  "user-attributes": {
    "my.tracer": {
      "sys-name": "SOC23",
      "bus": {
        "name": "LMB5",
        "index": 5
      },
      "propagation-delay-ps": 177
    }
  }
}
----
====

[[cc-offset]]
==== Clock class offset

A _clock class offset_ contains the offset of a <<cc-frag,clock
class>>'s instances relative to their origin.

A clock class offset is a JSON object.

.Properties of a clock class offset contained in a clock class fragment {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`seconds`
|JSON integer
|Offset, in seconds, of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} relative to its
origin.
|No
|`0`

|`cycles`
|JSON integer
|Offset, in cycles, of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} relative to its
origin.

The value of this property {must} be greater than or equal to zero.

The value of this property {must} be less than the value
of{nbsp}{var-f}'s `frequency` property.
|No
|`0`
|===

.Minimal clock class offset.
====
[source,json]
----
{}
----
====

.Clock class offset with seconds and cycles.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "seconds": 1605112699,
  "cycles": 2878388
}
----
====

.Clock class offset with seconds only.
====
[source,json]
----
{
  "seconds": 1605111293
}
----
====

.Negative clock class offset.
====
This example shows that a clock class offset {may} be negative, that is,
_before_ the origin of the clock class instances.

[source,json]
----
{
  "seconds": -18003,
  "cycles": 11928547
}
----
====

[[dsc-frag]]
=== Data stream class fragment

A _data stream class_ describes <<ds,_data streams_>>.

Within a metadata stream, a data stream class fragment {var-f} {must}
occur before any <<erc-frag,event record class fragment>> of which
{var-f} is the parent.

.Properties of a data stream class fragment {var-f}.
[%header%autowidth,cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"data-stream-class"`.
|Yes
|

|`id`
|JSON integer
|Numeric ID of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be greater than or equal to zero.
|No
|`0`

|`name`
|JSON string
|Name of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The purpose of this property, combined with the `namespace` property, is
to uniquely identify a data stream class amongst many producers.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}is unnamed

|`namespace`
|JSON string
|<<ns-def,Namespace>> of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The purpose of this property, combined with the `name` property, is to
uniquely identify a data stream class amongst many producers.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}has no namespace

|`default-clock-class-name`
|JSON string
|Name of the <<cc-frag,class>> of the <<def-clk,default clock>> of an
instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Within the metadata stream containing{nbsp}{var-f}, the <<cc-frag,clock
class fragment>> which has this property's value as its `name` property
must occur before{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|An instance of{nbsp}{var-f} has no default clock

|`packet-context-field-class`
|{c-struct-fc}
|Class of all the <<pkt-ctx,packet context fields>> of an instance
of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}has no packet context field class

|`event-record-header-field-class`
|{c-struct-fc}
|Class of all the <<er-header,event record header fields>> of an
instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any field class within this property's value {must} satisfy at least
one of:

* Have at least one valid <<er-header-roles,role>>.
* Be a {struct-fc}.
* Be an {opt-fc}.
* Be a {var-fc}.
* Be the class of a field which is the selector field of an optional
  or variant field.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}has no event record header field class

|`event-record-common-context-field-class`
|{c-struct-fc}
|Class of all the <<er-common-ctx,event record common context fields>>
of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}has no event record common context field class

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

Within a metadata stream, two given data stream class fragments
{must-not} share the same `id` property value.

==== Roles

[[pkt-ctx-roles]]If the `packet-context-field-class` property of a data
stream class fragment exists, then its inner <<fc,field classes>> {may}
have the following <<roles,roles>>:

.Roles of field classes within a packet context field class.
[%header%autowidth,cols="d,d,a,a"]
|===
|Name |Description |Field class ({var-f}) constraints |Other constraints

|`packet-total-size`
|Total size (bits) of the <<pkt,packet>>.

This size includes any padding after the packet's content.
|{c-fl-uint-fc} or {vl-uint-fc}.

|The value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} {must} be greater than or
equal to the value of an instance of a field class having the
`packet-content-size` role within the _same_ packet context field.

|`packet-content-size`
|Content size (bits) of the packet.
|{c-fl-uint-fc} or {vl-uint-fc}.
|The value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} {must} be less than or
equal to the value of an instance of a field class having the
`packet-total-size` role within the _same_ packet context field.

|`packet-beginning-default-clock-timestamp`
|Timestamp of the packet's <<ds,data stream>>'s <<def-clk,default clock>>
when the packet begins.
|{c-fl-uint-fc} or {vl-uint-fc}.
|The timestamps of all the packet's <<er,event records>> {must} be
greater than or equal to the value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} {must} be less than or equal to
the value of an instance of a field class having the
`packet-end-default-clock-timestamp` role within the _same_ packet
context field.

|`packet-end-default-clock-timestamp`
|Timestamp of the packet's data stream's <<def-clk,default clock>>
when the packet ends.
|{c-fl-uint-fc} or {vl-uint-fc}.
|The timestamps of all the packet's <<er,event records>> {must} be
less than or equal to the value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f} {must} be greater than or equal
to the value of an instance of a field class having the
`packet-beginning-default-clock-timestamp` role within the _same_ packet
context field.

|`discarded-event-record-counter-snapshot`
|Snapshot of the packet's data stream's
<<disc-er-counter,discarded event record counter>> when the packet ends.
|{c-fl-uint-fc} or {vl-uint-fc}.
|

|[[pkt-seq-num-role]]`packet-sequence-number`
|Sequence number of the packet within its data stream.
|{c-fl-uint-fc} or {vl-uint-fc}.

|===

[[er-header-roles]]If the `event-record-header-field-class` property of
a data stream class fragment exists, then its inner <<fc,field classes>>
{may} have the following <<roles,roles>>:

.Roles of field classes within an event record header field class.
[%header%autowidth,cols="d,d,a"]
|===
|Name |Description |Field class ({var-f}) constraints

|`event-record-class-id`
|Event record class ID.

The purpose of an event record class ID field is to set the current ID
of the class of the event record within its parent <<dsc-frag,data
stream class>>.
|{c-fl-uint-fc} or {vl-uint-fc}.

|`default-clock-timestamp`
|Current timestamp of the event record's <<ds,data stream>>'s
<<def-clk,default clock>> when the event record occurs.
|{c-fl-uint-fc} or {vl-uint-fc}.
|===

[[erc-frag]]
=== Event record class fragment

An _event record class_ describes <<er,_event records_>>.

The <<dsc-frag,data stream class fragment>> of which the `id` property's
value matches the value of the `data-stream-class-id` property of an
event record class fragment{nbsp}{var-f} is considered the _parent_
of{nbsp}{var-f}.

.Properties of an event record class fragment {var-f} having the data
stream class{nbsp}{var-p} as its parent.
[%header%autowidth,cols="d,d,a,d,d"]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Required? |Default

|`type`
|JSON string
|Type of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The value of this property {must} be `"event-record-class"`.
|Yes
|

|`id`
|JSON integer
|Numeric ID of{nbsp}{var-f} within{nbsp}{var-p}.

The value of this property {must} be greater than or equal to zero.
|No
|`0`

|`data-stream-class-id`
|JSON integer
|Numeric ID of{nbsp}{var-p}.

The value of this property {must} be greater than or equal to zero.

Within the metadata stream,{nbsp}{var-p} {must} occur
before{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`0`

|`name`
|JSON string
|Name of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The purpose of this property, combined with the `namespace` property, is
to uniquely identify an event record class amongst many producers.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}is unnamed

|`namespace`
|JSON string
|<<ns-def,Namespace>> of{nbsp}{var-f}.

The purpose of this property, combined with the `name` property, is to
uniquely identify an event record class amongst many producers.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}has no namespace

|`specific-context-field-class`
|{c-struct-fc}
|Class of the <<er-spec-ctx,event record specific context field>>
of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}has no event record specific context field class

|`payload-field-class`
|{c-struct-fc}
|Class of the <<er-payload,event record payload field>> of an
instance of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|{var-f}{nbsp}has no event record payload field class

|`user-attributes`
|<<user-attrs,User attributes>>
|User attributes of{nbsp}{var-f}.
|No
|`+{}+`

|`extensions`
|<<ext,Extensions>>
|Extensions of{nbsp}{var-f}.

Any extension which exists under this property must also be declared in
the metadata stream's <<preamble-frag,preamble fragment>>.
|No
|`+{}+`
|===

Within a metadata stream, two given event record class fragments
{must-not} share the same `id` property value _and_ the same
`data-stream-class-id` property value.

[[ds-dec]]
== Data stream decoding procedure

This section shows how to, procedurally, _decode_ a {ctf2} <<ds,data
stream>>.

Decoding a data stream is the responsibility of a consumer.

This document doesn't specify how to encode a data stream, as this
procedure implies much more freedom than decoding. You can deduce how to
encode a data stream from the decoding procedure.

A consumer needs to keep a _data stream decoding state_ while decoding a
data stream. A data stream decoding state comprises the following
_variable_:

.Variable needed to decode a data stream{nbsp}{var-s}.
[%header%autowidth]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Initial value

|{var-o}
|Integer
|Current decoding offset/position (bits) from the beginning
of{nbsp}{var-s}.
|0
|===

To decode a data stream {var-s}:

* While there's remaining data in {var-s}:
** <<pkt-dec,Decode one packet>>.

[[pkt-dec]]
=== Packet decoding procedure

A consumer needs to keep a _packet decoding state_ while decoding a
<<pkt,packet>>. A packet decoding state comprises the following
_variables_:

.Variables needed to decode a packet{nbsp}{var-p} within a data
stream{nbsp}{var-s}.
[%header%autowidth]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Initial value

|_**DEF_CLK_VAL**_
|Integer
|Current value (clock cycles) of the <<def-clk,default
clock>> of{nbsp}{var-s}, if any.
|0

|_**DSC_ID**_
|Integer
|Current ID of the <<dsc-frag,class>> of{nbsp}{var-s}.
|0

|_**DSC**_
|<<dsc-frag,Data stream class>>
|Current class of{nbsp}{var-s}.
|None

|_**DS_ID**_
|Integer
|Current ID of{nbsp}{var-s}.
|None

|_**PKT_TOTAL_SZ**_
|Integer
|Current total size (bits) of{nbsp}{var-p}.

|_**PKT_CONTENT_SZ**_
|Integer
|Current content size (bits) of{nbsp}{var-p}.

|_**LAST_BO**_
|String
|Byte order of the last <<fl-ba-field-dec,decoded {fl-ba} field>>.
|None
|===

To decode a packet {var-p} within a data stream {var-s}:

. Let {var-po} be the current value of {var-o}.

. If the metadata stream's <<tc-frag,trace class fragment>>'s
  `packet-header-field-class` property exists, then
  <<struct-field-dec,decode>> the <<pkt-header,header field>>
  of{nbsp}{var-p} using this property.
+
During the packet header field decoding procedure, after having decoded a
field{nbsp}{var-f} having the class{nbsp}__**C**__ with a `roles`
property:
+
** If _**C**_ has the role `packet-magic-number`, then validate that the
   integer value of{nbsp}{var-f} is 0xc1fc1fc1 (3254525889).
** If _**C**_ has the role `trace-type-uuid`, then validate that the
   value of{nbsp}{var-f} matches the `uuid` property of the trace
   class fragment.
** If _**C**_ has the role `data-stream-class-id`, then
   set{nbsp}__**DSC_ID**__ to the integer value of{nbsp}{var-f}.
** If _**C**_ has the role `data-stream-id`, then
   set{nbsp}__**DS_ID**__ to the integer value of{nbsp}{var-f}.

+
After having decoded the whole packet header field, if __**DS_ID**__
is set, it contains the ID of{nbsp}{var-s} within its
<<dsc-frag,class>>. In other words, two data streams {may} have the same
ID if they are instances of different data stream classes.

. Set _**DSC**_ to the <<dsc-frag,data stream class>>
  having{nbsp}__**DSC_ID**__ as the value of its `id` property.

. If the `packet-context-field-class` property of{nbsp}__**DSC**__
  exists, then <<struct-field-dec,decode>> the <<pkt-ctx,context field>>
  of{nbsp}{var-p} using this property.
+
During the packet context field decoding procedure, after having decoded a
field{nbsp}{var-f} having the class{nbsp}__**C**__ with a `roles`
property:
+
** If _**C**_ has the role `packet-total-size`, then
   set{nbsp}__**PKT_TOTAL_SZ**__ to the integer value
   of{nbsp}{var-f}.
** If _**C**_ has the role `packet-content-size`, then
   set{nbsp}__**PKT_CONTENT_SZ**__ to the integer value
   of{nbsp}{var-f}.
** If _**C**_ has the role `packet-beginning-default-clock-timestamp`, then
   set{nbsp}__**DEF_CLK_VAL**__ to the integer value
   of{nbsp}{var-f}.
** If _**C**_ has the role `packet-end-default-clock-timestamp`, then
   the integer value of{nbsp}{var-f} is the value of the
   <<def-clk,default clock>> of{nbsp}{var-s} at the end
   of{nbsp}{var-p}.
** If _**C**_ has the role `discarded-event-record-counter-snapshot`,
   then the integer value of{nbsp}{var-f} is a snapshot of the
   <<disc-er-counter,discarded event record counter>>
   of{nbsp}{var-s} at the end of{nbsp}{var-p}.
** If _**C**_ has the role `packet-sequence-number`, then
   the integer value of{nbsp}{var-f} is the sequence number
   of{nbsp}{var-p} within{nbsp}{var-s}.

. If __**PKT_TOTAL_SZ**__ is{nbsp}∞ and
  __**PKT_CONTENT_SZ**__ is __not__{nbsp}∞,
  then set{nbsp}__**PKT_TOTAL_SZ**__
  to{nbsp}__**PKT_CONTENT_SZ**__.

. If __**PKT_CONTENT_SZ**__ is{nbsp}∞ and
  __**PKT_TOTAL_SZ**__ is __not__{nbsp}∞,
  then set{nbsp}__**PKT_CONTENT_SZ**__
  to{nbsp}__**PKT_TOTAL_SZ**__.

. While {var-o}{nbsp}<{nbsp}{var-po}{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}__**PKT_CONTENT_SZ**__
  and there's remaining data in{nbsp}{var-s}:
** <<er-dec,Decode an event record>>.

. If __**PKT_TOTAL_SZ**__
  and{nbsp}__**PKT_CONTENT_SZ**__ both are __not__{nbsp}∞, then
  set {var-o} to {var-po}{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}__**PKT_TOTAL_SZ**__,
  effectively skipping end-of-packet padding.

[[er-dec]]
=== Event record decoding procedure

A consumer needs to keep an _event record decoding state_ while decoding
an <<er,event record>>. An event record decoding state comprises the
following _variables_:

.Variables needed to decode an event record{nbsp}__**E**__ within a
data stream{nbsp}{var-s}.
[%header%autowidth]
|===
|Name |Type |Description |Initial value

|_**ERC_ID**_
|Integer
|Current ID of the <<erc-frag,class>> of{nbsp}__**E**__ of which the
parent is the <<dsc-frag,class>> of{nbsp}{var-s}.
|0

|_**ERC**_
|<<erc-frag,Event record class>>
|Current class of{nbsp}__**E**__.
|None
|===

To decode an event record _**E**_ within a data stream {var-s}:

. If the `event-record-header-field-class` property of{nbsp}__**DSC**__
  exists, then <<struct-field-dec,decode>> the <<er-header,header
  field>> of{nbsp}__**E**__ using this property.
+
During the event record header field decoding procedure, after having
decoded a field{nbsp}{var-f} having the class{nbsp}__**C**__ with a
`roles` property:
+
** If _**C**_ has the role `event-record-class-id`, then
   set{nbsp}__**ERC_ID**__ to the integer value of{nbsp}{var-f}.
** If _**C**_ has the role `default-clock-timestamp`, then
   update{nbsp}__**DEF_CLK_VAL**__ according to
   Common Trace Format{nbsp}1.8.3,{nbsp}§8.
+
NOTE: This proposal refers to {ctf1} to remain brief; the {ctf2}
specification will show the complete clock value updating procedure.

+
After having decoded the whole event record header field,
__**DEF_CLK_VAL**__ is the value of{nbsp}{var-s}'s
<<def-clk,default clock>> when{nbsp}__**E**__ occurs.

. Set _**ERC**_ to the <<erc-frag,event record class>>
  having:
** __**DSC_ID**__ as the value of its `data-stream-class-id`
   property.
** __**ERC_ID**__ as the value of its `id` property.

. If the `event-record-common-context-field-class` property
  of{nbsp}__**DSC**__ exists, then <<struct-field-dec,decode>> the
  <<er-common-ctx,common context field>> of{nbsp}__**E**__ using this
  property.

. If the `specific-context-field-class` property of{nbsp}__**ERC**__
  exists, then <<struct-field-dec,decode>> the
  <<er-spec-ctx,specific context field>> of{nbsp}__**E**__
  using this property.

. If the `payload-field-class` property of{nbsp}__**ERC**__ exists, then
  <<struct-field-dec,decode>> the <<er-payload,payload field>>
  of{nbsp}__**E**__ using this property.

[[field-dec]]
=== Field decoding procedure

The <<fc,class>> of a field contains what's needed to decode it
as a _value_.

While a field is an actual sequence of bits within a <<ds,data stream>>,
a value is its conceptual interpretation with attached semantics.

The types of values are:

[%header%autowidth,cols="a,a"]
|===
|Value type |Possible values

|Boolean
|_True_ or _false_.

|Integer
|Integral quantity.

|Real
|Continuous quantity.

|String
|Sequence of https://home.unicode.org/[Unicode] characters.

|Array
|Sequence of values having the same type.

|Structure
|Sequence of named values (members) which {may} have different types.
|===

To decode an instance of a field class{nbsp}{var-f}, depending on the
value of its `type` property:

[%header%autowidth,cols="a,a"]
|===
|Value of{nbsp}{var-f}'s `type` property |{var-f}'s decoding procedure

|<<fl-ba-fc,`"fixed-length-bit-array"`>>
|<<fl-ba-field-dec,Decode a {fl-ba} field>>.

|<<fl-bool-fc,`"fixed-length-boolean"`>>
|<<fl-bool-field-dec,Decode a {fl-bool} field>>.

* <<fl-int-fc,`"fixed-length-unsigned-integer"`>>
* <<fl-enum-fc,`"fixed-length-unsigned-enumeration"`>>
|<<fl-uint-field-dec,Decode a {fl-uint} field>>.

* <<fl-int-fc,`"fixed-length-signed-integer"`>>
* <<fl-enum-fc,`"fixed-length-signed-enumeration"`>>
|<<fl-sint-field-dec,Decode a {fl-sint} field>>.

|<<fl-fp-fc,`"fixed-length-floating-point-number"`>>
|<<fl-fp-field-dec,Decode a {fl-fp} field>>.

|<<vl-ba-fc,`"variable-length-bit-array"`>>
|<<vl-ba-field-dec,Decode a {vl-ba} field>>.

* <<vl-int-fc,`"variable-length-unsigned-integer"`>>
* <<vl-enum-fc,`"variable-length-unsigned-enumeration"`>>
|<<vl-uint-field-dec,Decode a {vl-uint} field>>.

* <<vl-int-fc,`"variable-length-signed-integer"`>>
* <<vl-enum-fc,`"variable-length-signed-enumeration"`>>
|<<vl-sint-field-dec,Decode a {vl-sint}>>.

|<<str-fc,`"null-terminated-string"`>>
|<<str-field-dec,Decode a {str} field>>.

|<<sl-str-fc,`"static-length-string"`>>
|<<sl-str-field-dec,Decode a {sl-str} field>>.

|<<sl-blob-fc,`"static-length-blob"`>>
|<<sl-blob-field-dec,Decode a {sl-blob} field>>.

|<<dl-str-fc,`"dynamic-length-string"`>>
|<<dl-str-field-dec,Decode a {dl-str} field>>.

|<<dl-blob-fc,`"dynamic-length-blob"`>>
|<<dl-blob-field-dec,Decode a {dl-blob} field>>.

|<<struct-fc,`"structure"`>>
|<<struct-field-dec,Decode a structure field>>.

|<<sl-array-fc,`"static-length-array"`>>
|<<sl-array-field-dec,Decode a {sl-array} field>>.

|<<dl-array-fc,`"dynamic-length-array"`>>
|<<dl-array-field-dec,Decode a {dl-array} field>>.

|<<opt-fc,`"optional"`>>
|<<opt-field-dec,Decode an optional field>>.

|<<var-fc,`"variant"`>>
|<<var-field-dec,Decode a variant field>>.
|===

[[align-dec]]
==== Alignment procedure

The decoding procedure of many fields require
{var-o-minus-po} to have a specific _alignment_.

The alignment requirement of an instance of a <<fc,field
class>>{nbsp}{var-f} is, depending on the value of its `type` property:

[%header,cols="a,a"]
|===
|{var-f}'s `type` property |{var-f}'s alignment requirement

* <<fl-ba-fc,`"fixed-length-bit-array"`>>
* <<fl-bool-fc,`"fixed-length-boolean"`>>
* <<fl-int-fc,`"fixed-length-unsigned-integer"`>>
* <<fl-int-fc,`"fixed-length-signed-integer"`>>
* <<fl-enum-fc,`"fixed-length-unsigned-enumeration"`>>
* <<fl-enum-fc,`"fixed-length-signed-enumeration"`>>
* <<fl-fp-fc,`"fixed-length-floating-point-number"`>>
|The value of {var-f}'s `alignment` property.

* <<vl-ba-fc,`"variable-length-bit-array"`>>
* <<vl-int-fc,`"variable-length-unsigned-integer"`>>
* <<vl-int-fc,`"variable-length-signed-integer"`>>
* <<vl-enum-fc,`"variable-length-unsigned-enumeration"`>>
* <<vl-enum-fc,`"variable-length-signed-enumeration"`>>
* <<str-fc,`"null-terminated-string"`>>
* <<sl-str-fc,`"static-length-string"`>>
* <<sl-blob-fc,`"static-length-blob"`>>
* <<dl-str-fc,`"dynamic-length-string"`>>
* <<dl-blob-fc,`"dynamic-length-blob"`>>
|8

|<<struct-fc,`"structure"`>>
|The _maximum_ value of:

* The value of{nbsp}{var-f}'s `minimum-alignment` property.

* The alignment requirements of the instances of the `field-class`
  property of each <<struct-member-cls,member class>> of{nbsp}{var-f}'s
  `members` property.

* <<sl-array-fc,`"static-length-array"`>>
* <<dl-array-fc,`"dynamic-length-array"`>>
|The alignment requirement of an instance of{nbsp}{var-f}'s
`element-field-class` property

* <<opt-fc,`"optional"`>>
* <<var-fc,`"variant"`>>
|1
|===

To align {var-o-minus-po} to some alignment
requirement{nbsp}__**A**__ (bits):

* Set {var-o} to
  {var-po}{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}(({var-o-minus-po}{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}__**A**__{nbsp}{minus}{nbsp}1){nbsp}&{nbsp}{minus}__**A**__),
  where __&__ is the bitwise _AND_ operator.

[[fl-ba-field-dec]]
==== {c-fl-ba} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {fl-ba-fc}{nbsp}{var-f}:

. Let:
** _**BO**_ be the value of {var-f}'s `byte-order` property.
** _**L**_ be the value of {var-f}'s `length` property.
** {var-v} be an array of booleans of length{nbsp}__**L**__.

. <<align-dec,Align {var-o-minus-po}>> according
  to{nbsp}{var-f}.

. If (({var-o-minus-po}){nbsp}mod{nbsp}8{nbsp}{noteq}{nbsp}0)
  and __**LAST_BO**__{nbsp}{noteq}{nbsp}__**BO**__, then fail immediately.

. Read __**L**__{nbsp}bits of data from{nbsp}{var-s} at the
  offset{nbsp}{var-o} following Common Trace Format{nbsp}1.8.3,
  §4.1.5, as booleans within{nbsp}{var-v}.
+
NOTE: This proposal refers to {ctf1} to remain brief; the {ctf2}
specification will show the complete decoding procedures for big-endian
and little-endian {fl-ba} fields.

. Set {var-o} to {var-o}{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}__**L**__.

. Set _**LAST_BO**_ to{nbsp}__**BO**__.

{var-v} is the decoded value.

[[fl-bool-field-dec]]
==== {c-fl-bool} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {fl-bool-fc}:

. Let __**VB**__ be a boolean.
. <<fl-ba-field-dec,Decode the instance as a {fl-ba} field>>.
. If all the elements of{nbsp}{var-v} are _false_, then set{nbsp}__**VB**__
  to _false_.
+
Else, set __**VB**__ to _true_.

_**VB**_ is the decoded boolean value.

[[fl-uint-field-dec]]
==== {c-fl-uint} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {fl-uint-fc}:

. Let __**VI**__ be an integer.
. <<fl-ba-field-dec,Decode the instance as a {fl-ba} field>>.
. Set __**VI**__ as the unsigned integer interpretation
of{nbsp}{var-v}.

_**VI**_ is the decoded integer value.

[[fl-sint-field-dec]]
==== {c-fl-sint} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {fl-sint-fc}:

. Let __**VI**__ be an integer.
. <<fl-ba-field-dec,Decode the instance as a {fl-ba} field>>.
. Set __**VI**__ as the signed integer interpretation, following the
  two's complement format, of{nbsp}{var-v}.

_**VI**_ is the decoded integer value.

[[fl-fp-field-dec]]
==== {c-fl-fp} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {fl-fp-fc}:

. Let __**VR**__ be a real value.
. <<fl-ba-field-dec,Decode the instance as a {fl-ba} field>>.
. Set __**VR**__ to the real number interpretation, following {ieee754},
  of{nbsp}{var-v}.

_**VR**_ is the decoded real value.

[[vl-ba-field-dec]]
==== {c-vl-ba} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {vl-ba-fc}{nbsp}{var-f}:

. Let {var-v} be an empty array of booleans.

. <<align-dec,Align {var-o-minus-po}>> according
  to{nbsp}{var-f}.

. Read __**N**__{nbsp}bytes of data from{nbsp}{var-s} at the
  offset{nbsp}{var-o}, as many as needed following the unsigned
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LEB128[LEB128] format, appending the
  decoded bits to{nbsp}{var-v} as booleans.
+
NOTE: This proposal refers to LEB128 to remain brief; the {ctf2}
specification will show the complete decoding procedure.

. Set {var-o} to {var-o}{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}__**N**__{nbsp}{times}{nbsp}8.

{var-v} is the decoded value.

[[vl-uint-field-dec]]
==== {c-vl-uint} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {vl-uint-fc}:

. Let __**VI**__ be an integer.
. <<vl-ba-field-dec,Decode the instance as a {vl-ba} field>>.
. Set __**VI**__ as the unsigned integer interpretation
of{nbsp}{var-v}.

_**VI**_ is the decoded integer value.

[[vl-sint-field-dec]]
==== {c-vl-sint} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {vl-sint-fc}:

. Let __**VI**__ be an integer.
. <<vl-ba-field-dec,Decode the instance as a {vl-ba} field>>.
. Set __**VI**__ as the signed integer interpretation, following the
  two's complement format, of{nbsp}{var-v}.

_**VI**_ is the decoded integer value.

[[str-field-dec]]
==== {c-str} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {str-fc}{nbsp}{var-f}:

. Let:
** _**B**_ be a byte.
** _**A**_ be an empty sequence of bytes.
** {var-v} be a string.

. <<align-dec,Align {var-o-minus-po}>> according
  to{nbsp}{var-f}.

. Read one byte of data from{nbsp}{var-s} at the offset{nbsp}{var-o}
  as{nbsp}__**B**__.

. Set {var-o} to {var-o}{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}8.

. While __**B**__{nbsp}{noteq}{nbsp}0:
.. Append __**B**__ to{nbsp}__**A**__.
.. Read one byte of data from{nbsp}{var-s} at the
   offset{nbsp}{var-o} as{nbsp}__**B**__.
.. Set {var-o} to {var-o}{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}8.

. Decode _**A**_, following UTF-8, as {var-v}.

{var-v} is the decoded string value.

[[sl-str-field-dec]]
==== {c-sl-str} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {sl-str-fc}{nbsp}{var-f}:

. Let:
** _**L**_ be {var-f}'s `length` property.
** _**I**_ be an unsigned integer initialized to 0.
** _**B**_ be a byte.
** _**R**_ be a boolean initialized to _true_.
** _**A**_ be an empty sequence of bytes.
** {var-v} be a string.

. <<align-dec,Align {var-o-minus-po}>> according
  to{nbsp}{var-f}.

. While __**I**__{nbsp}<{nbsp}__**L**__:

.. Read one byte of data from{nbsp}{var-s} at the
   offset{nbsp}{var-o} as{nbsp}__**B**__.
.. If __**B**__{nbsp}={nbsp}0, then set _**R**_{nbsp}to _false_.
+
Else, if _**R**_ is _true_, then append{nbsp}__**B**__
to{nbsp}__**A**__.

.. Set {var-o} to {var-o}{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}8.
.. Set _**I**_ to __**I**__{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}1.

. Decode _**A**_, following UTF-8, as {var-v}.

{var-v} is the decoded string value.

[[sl-blob-field-dec]]
==== {c-sl-blob} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {sl-blob-fc}{nbsp}{var-f}:

. Let:
** _**L**_ be {var-f}'s `length` property.
** {var-v} be an array of bytes of length{nbsp}__**L**__.

. <<align-dec,Align {var-o-minus-po}>> according
  to{nbsp}{var-f}.

. Read _**L**_ bytes of data from{nbsp}{var-s} at the
  offset{nbsp}{var-o} as{nbsp}{var-v}.

. Set {var-o} to {var-o}{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}__**L**__{nbsp}{times}{nbsp}8.

{var-v} is the decoded BLOB value.

[[dl-str-field-dec]]
==== {c-dl-str} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {dl-str-fc}{nbsp}{var-f}:

. Let:
** _**L**_ be the value of the previously decoded unsigned integer
   field of which{nbsp}{var-f}'s `length-field-location` indicates
   the location.
** _**I**_ be an unsigned integer initialized to 0.
** _**B**_ be a byte.
** _**R**_ be a boolean initialized to _true_.
** _**A**_ be an empty sequence of bytes.
** {var-v} be a string.

. <<align-dec,Align {var-o-minus-po}>> according
  to{nbsp}{var-f}.

. While __**I**__{nbsp}<{nbsp}__**L**__:

.. Read one byte of data from{nbsp}{var-s} at the
   offset{nbsp}{var-o} as{nbsp}__**B**__.
.. If __**B**__{nbsp}={nbsp}0, then set _**R**_{nbsp}to _false_.
+
Else, if _**R**_ is _true_, then append{nbsp}__**B**__
to{nbsp}__**A**__.

.. Set {var-o} to {var-o}{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}8.
.. Set _**I**_ to __**I**__{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}1.

. Decode _**A**_, following UTF-8, as {var-v}.

{var-v} is the decoded string value.

[[dl-blob-field-dec]]
==== {c-dl-blob} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {dl-blob-fc}{nbsp}{var-f}:

. Let:
** _**L**_ be the value of the previously decoded unsigned integer
   field of which{nbsp}{var-f}'s `length-field-location` indicates
   the location.
** {var-v} be an array of bytes of length{nbsp}__**L**__.

. <<align-dec,Align {var-o-minus-po}>> according
  to{nbsp}{var-f}.

. Read _**L**_ bytes of data from{nbsp}{var-s} at the
  offset{nbsp}{var-o} as{nbsp}{var-v}.

. Set {var-o} to {var-o}{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}__**L**__{nbsp}{times}{nbsp}8.

{var-v} is the decoded BLOB value.

[[struct-field-dec]]
==== Structure field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {struct-fc}{nbsp}{var-f}:

. Let:
** _**M**_ be {var-f}'s `members` property.
** {var-v} be an empty structure.

. <<align-dec,Align {var-o-minus-po}>> according
  to{nbsp}{var-f}.

. For each member class{nbsp}__**MC**__ of{nbsp}__**M**__:
.. Let:
*** _**MF**_ be __**MC**__'s `field-class` property.
*** _**MN**_ be __**MC**__'s `name` property.
.. <<field-dec,Decode>> one instance of{nbsp}__**MF**__, appending the
   resulting value as a member of{nbsp}{var-v} named{nbsp}__**MN**__.

{var-v} is the decoded value.

[[sl-array-field-dec]]
==== {c-sl-array} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {sl-array-fc}{nbsp}{var-f}:

. Let:
** _**L**_ be {var-f}'s `length` property.
** _**EF**_ be {var-f}'s `element-field-class` property.
** _**I**_ be an unsigned integer initialized to 0.
** {var-v} be an array of values of length{nbsp}__**L**__.

. <<align-dec,Align {var-o-minus-po}>> according
  to{nbsp}{var-f}.

. While __**I**__{nbsp}<{nbsp}__**L**__:
.. <<field-dec,Decode>> one instance of{nbsp}__**EF**__
   as element{nbsp}__**I**__ of{nbsp}{var-v}.
.. Set _**I**_ to __**I**__{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}1.

{var-v} is the decoded value.

[[dl-array-field-dec]]
==== {c-dl-array} field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of a {dl-array-fc}{nbsp}{var-f}:

. Let:
** _**L**_ be the value of the previously decoded unsigned integer
   field of which{nbsp}{var-f}'s `length-field-location` indicates
   the location.
** _**EF**_ be {var-f}'s `element-field-class` property.
** _**I**_ be an unsigned integer initialized to 0.
** {var-v} be an array of values of length{nbsp}__**L**__

. <<align-dec,Align {var-o-minus-po}>> according
  to{nbsp}{var-f}.

. While __**I**__{nbsp}<{nbsp}__**L**__:
.. <<field-dec,Decode>> one instance of{nbsp}__**EF**__
   as element{nbsp}__**I**__ of{nbsp}{var-v}.
.. Set _**I**_ to __**I**__{nbsp}pass:[+]{nbsp}1.

{var-v} is the decoded value.

[[opt-field-dec]]
==== Optional field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of an {opt-fc}{nbsp}{var-f}:

. Let:
** _**SEL**_ be the value of the previously decoded <<bool-fc,boolean>>
   or <<int-fc,integer>> field of which{nbsp}{var-f}'s
   `selector-field-location` indicates the location.
** _**OF**_ be {var-f}'s `field-class` property.
** {var-v} be an optional value, initially not set.

. If the class of{nbsp}__**SEL**__ is a {fl-bool-fc}
  and _**SEL**_ is _true_, then:
** <<field-dec,Decode>> one instance of{nbsp}__**OF**__
   as{nbsp}{var-v}.

+
Else, if _**SEL**_ is an element of any <<int-range-set,integer range>>
of{nbsp}{var-f}'s `selector-field-ranges` property, then:
** <<field-dec,Decode>> one instance of{nbsp}__**OF**__
   as{nbsp}{var-v}.

If {var-v} is set, then {var-v} is the decoded value. Otherwise, there's
no decoded value.

[[var-field-dec]]
==== Variant field decoding procedure

To decode an instance of an {var-fc}{nbsp}{var-f}:

. Let:
** _**SEL**_ be the value of the previously decoded <<int-fc,integer>>
   field of which{nbsp}{var-f}'s `selector-field-location` indicates
   the location.
** _**OPTS**_ be {var-f}'s `options` property.
** _**OF**_ be the `field-class` property of the <<var-fc-opt,variant
   field class option>>{nbsp}__**OPT**__ of{nbsp}__**OPTS**__ of
   which{nbsp}__**SEL**__ is an element of any <<int-range-set,integer
   range>> of{nbsp}__**OPT**__'s `selector-field-ranges` property.
** {var-v} be a value.