[lttng-dev] Golang agent for LTTng-ust

Loïc Gelle loic.gelle at polymtl.ca
Tue May 29 09:47:33 EDT 2018

> I agree that integrating C code into a Go codebase is somewhat inelegant.

Not only that, but it's not sustainable. It is more a hack than a feature.

> However, I'm not sure what you mean by "implementation issues that are
> specific to the language itself".

I mean that if you put static calls to C tracepoints from a Go
program, you always have a function call (and the ~50ns overhead)
triggered each time you hit the tracepoint, whether the tracepoint is
actually enabled or not. So basically you can't count on the compiler
(specific to the language) to do clever branch prediction for you,
which reduces the interest of instrumenting your code.

I like the third solution that you propose. I think that the first one
is definitely not ideal and that the second one is too much work and
maintaining. How much time do you estimate is necessary for the
development of the third solution?

By the way, I am currently working on instrumenting the Go runtime to
capture information on the goroutines. I am using dyntrace
(https://github.com/charpercyr/dyntrace) for that, which kind of works
but is really hacky.