[lttng-dev] How to generate Sequence Diagram for Kernel Traces using lttng

Francis Giraldeau francis.giraldeau at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 21:20:10 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-07 10:15 AM, Sandeep Nandal wrote:
> Dear lttng-dev Team,
>
> I have collected traces using lttng on my Linux Machine RHEL7.2
>
> Now I need to generate a Sequence Diagram showing the IPC between different processes.
>
> Is there an in-built feature or already developed tool, by which I can generate the IPC between the processes using the kernel traces.
>
> For example :-
>
> 1.       X forks Y
> 2.       X sends data through socket to Y
> 3.       X sends communicate with Y using PIPE
> 4.       And etc.

You may be interested into the Critical Flow View in TraceCompass,
that uses LTTng kernel events to show the waiting dependencies
between processes and works with all IPCs, futex, and TCP sockets.
It does not show specific IPCs however, but you can deduce it from
the system calls involved. You will find the documentation here:

  http://help.eclipse.org/neon/topic/org.eclipse.tracecompass.doc.user/doc/LTTng-Kernel-Analysis.html?cp=77_5_5#Process_Wait_Analysis

Cheers,

Francis