[lttng-dev] Trace files not getting generated

Jérémie Galarneau jeremie.galarneau at efficios.com
Sat Oct 11 15:36:38 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Tommy Huynh <tom.huynh15 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your prompt response.
>
> Regarding your question:
>

> The lttng client seems to be starting a new session daemon at
> line 97 of t4-lttng-httperf.log. Did it crash in the meantime? Or
> perhaps these executions are unrelated?
>     These executions are probably unrelated. I did run the experiment
>     several times to make sure it's reproducible.
>

> It is expected if the IO capacities of the machine are exceeded by the
> event throughput. That wouldn't surprise me since you have 24 cores
>
> producing events with all kernel events enabled.
>     Are you suggesting a scalability issue with LTTng?

No. The problem is not that LTTng can't extract/capture the events.
The issue is that the machine's IO can't handle such a high,
sustained, throughput which forces LTTng to drop events.

>     What is the best way to address this?

Enabling fewer events or saving to a faster device will help a lot.
Otherwise, increasing the buffer sizes may help with coping with short
bursts of high tracing activity.

Regards,
Jérémie

--