[lttng-dev] Working on some bugs

David Goulet dgoulet at efficios.com
Tue Mar 11 12:22:01 EDT 2014

On 10 Mar (23:00:36), Sandeep K Chaudhary wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I want to submit patches for some bugs before making my GSoC application. I
> was looking at the bug tracker and I think I can work some of these
> before/during the application. Can you please give some suggestion as to
> whether I will be able to work on them (given that I am new to the code
> base)?
>
> http://bugs.lttng.org/issues/621

This one should be quite straight forward. There is already version
check for the create_session command I think. Here is your starting
point.

lttng-tools:
* src/bin/lttng-relayd/cmd-*
* src/bin/lttng-relayd/main.c

> http://bugs.lttng.org/issues/282

That would be some work on removing tests that are not used at all in
the lttng-ust code repository and I think there is still old test using
UST 0.x but that are simply not compiled.

lttng-ust:
* tests/

> http://bugs.lttng.org/issues/204

That's a bigger one actually. You'll need to create a new command to
lttng command line (lttng status) and print some information on the
current session, maybe the state of the sessiond and relayd. The
behavior is still undefined here so maybe not the easier one to choose
:).

> http://bugs.lttng.org/issues/682

This one is babeltrace specific so I can't help you. Jérémie or Mathieu
or Julien might be able to help you out here.

> I understand that the first three of these are marked as features, and
> could probably more than bugs but I find them interesting. Please give some
> suggestions as to how I can start with some bug.

We are in the 2.5 development cycle right now so features like the one
above are actually quite welcome!

So you could do bug hunting as well meaning you use lttng, try to
bend/break it quite a bit and see if there are unexpected results. Going
through our bugtracker also with the ones flagged Bug will also work
quite well :).

Hope this help! Also, come on IRC in #lttng on OFTC network.

Cheers!
David