[lttng-dev] GSoC Introduction

Andrei - Constantin Popescu popescu.andrei1991 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 05:13:24 EST 2014

Hello!

I'm Andrei(Popescu Andrei-Constantin, to be more precise), a 4th year
undergraduate student at Univ. Polytechnic of Bucharest, Computer
Science dept. I live in Bucharest, Romania. When I'm not coding, I'm
playing basketball or video games, or simply hanging out with my
friends. My IRC handle is andrei_ (with one or more _)

I've successfully participated in GSoC 2012 with BRL-CAD on a project
called libpkg extensions. On short, I had to performance test, improve
then test again the brlcad networking library. I was completely new to
open source and development back then. After that, I've been working
as a linux kernel developer(not upstream tho). I'm mostly familiar
with low level development(kernel, compilers, C is my strongest
language) and with Java as an OOP/application development language.
Regarding compilers, I've played a bit with llvm API(use-def chains,
constant folding, that kind of stuff) as well as write a AST
generator/interpreter in Antlr.

I have no idea if I'm up to it, but this year I was trying to find a
project that would actually matter, that would actually help the
organization aswell. I stopped over "Clang plugin providing automatic
application instrumentation"  because I am interested in compilers,
kernel and want to improve my C++. Aside of that, (I might be totally
wrong since I don't have a firm understanding of the project yet), it
seemed to me that it  would ease profiling functions.

As discussed with Christian Babeux  and Jérémie Galarneau I'll compile
the toolchain, take a look at how clang plugins work and then probably
come back with more questions :). (step 1)

My plan is to get a decent, high-level understanding of what LTTng
does(basically, step 1), then work on bugfixes or small extensions on
code related to my project simultaneously with writing iterations of
my proposal.

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to point them out :)

Cheers!