[lttng-dev] [GSoC 2014]

Jérémie Galarneau jeremie.galarneau at efficios.com
Mon Mar 3 13:12:58 EST 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 11:07 AM, zlynus <302590304 at qq.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a graduate student from China. Due to my last experience using SystemTap
> to trace kernel's submit_bio() function activity in my recent research on
> disk blocks' correlation, I get interested in system trace tool .So I think
> contributing  to lttng in GSoC would be a great adventure.

Absolutely!

> According to the idea page, the kernel side tracer has no comparable
> filtering mechanism like the one in user-space side however, it is proposed
> that the filtering be implemented in the babeltrace , rather than in kernel
> side. Can you please  tell me the reason?

We have been looking at kernel-level filtering for quite some time and
are interested in the feature.

The reason we are proposing the implementation of a filtering system
in Babeltrace is to both address this shortcoming and provide a
non-destructive way of filtering events. It would make it easier for
users to search for events in a trace and lower Babeltrace's output
volume to speed-up scripts based on it.

Ideally, we'd have filtering both in Babeltrace and the kernel,
although the latter is out of GSoC's scope.

> Nevertheless, I think implementing a usable and relatively optimized filter
> is a great work worth working on. I have read the man page and tested the
> toolchain. Now I have got a whole picture of it. And in order to get
> familiar with you guys and prove my skills I should try to submit patches to
> this list, right? Beside that I hope hear your discussion on filter
> mechanism.

That would be the way to go. Looking forward to your patches!

Thanks,
Jérémie

> Best regards,
> Lingyu Zhu