[lttng-dev] [GSOC] Interested in contributing to LTTng: Python tracing support

Jérémie Galarneau jeremie.galarneau at efficios.com
Mon Mar 3 12:07:12 EST 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 2:22 AM, Amit Margalit <AMITM at il.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd love to contribute to Python tracing support as well, but for 2.7, not
> 3.x ...
>
> Any chances we will support both?

The main reason we have only supported Python 3.x thus far is that we
can't handle the maintainance load of supporting and testing code for
different versions of the same language.

I think a compromise could be reached if _thorough_ automated tests
covering both Python 2.7 and 3.x are provided with the feature.

Regards,
Jérémie

> Amit Margalit
> IBM XIV - Storage Reinvented
> XIV-NAS Development Team
> Tel. 03-689-7774
> Fax. 03-689-7230
>

> From:        刘跃 <liuyue0310 at gmail.com>
> To:        Christian Babeux <christian.babeux at efficios.com>,
> soariez at gmail.com, jonathan.r.julien at gmail.com
> Cc:        "lttng-dev at lists.lttng.org" <lttng-dev at lists.lttng.org>
> Date:        02/27/2014 12:03 PM
> Subject:        Re: [lttng-dev] [GSOC] Interested in contributing to LTTng:
> Python tracing support
> ________________________________
>

> Hi, Jonathan, Zifei and cbab:
>
> Thanks for such a passionate and detailed reply.
> This is very helpful for me, I will surely work over it for next few days,
> and try to fix one of the bugs, this may take some time, I will do my best.
>
> Thanku!
>

> Yue Liu
> Tsinghua University NISL-Lab(FIT-1-213)
> TEL: 156-5279-8191
> Mail: liuyue0310 at gmail.com
>

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 2:49 AM, Christian Babeux
> <christian.babeux at efficios.com> wrote:
> Hi Yue,
>
> Great to hear that you are interested in the Python tracing support!
>
> The first step would be to take a look at the bug tracker [1] and see
> if you can fix any typo or minor bug and submit a patch to the mailing
> list. The contribution process is detailed in the guidelines [2] on
> the idea page.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Christian
>
> [1] - http://bugs.lttng.org/projects/lttng/issues?sort=priority%2Cid%3Adesc
> [2] - http://bugs.lttng.org/projects/lttng/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014
>
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 4:26 AM, 刘跃 <liuyue0310 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>     I am Yue Liu, second year graduate in Computer Science and
>> Engineering.
>> I'm interested in contributing to Python tracing support. I am Good in
>> C/C++/Python and Unix Operating System. I also have good experience in
>> Debugging/Reverse Engineering/Binary Hack.
>>     Please let me know how should I proceed further.
>>
>>     Thank you!
>>
>> Yue Liu

Jérémie Galarneau