[lttng-dev] LTTng not generating trace contents

Antoine Busque antoine.busque at efficios.com
Sun Jul 6 20:14:08 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Shariyar <syed.shariyar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem in generating a kernel trace using the latest LTTng
> on Ubuntu 12.04. It was working fine previously but when I updated LTTng it
> stopped generating the trace contents. I did an uninstall and reinstall but
> it didn't work either.
>
> In particular, I am able to create a session, list all kernel events,
> start a trace and stop a trace. My user is also in the tracing group.
> However, there are no contents in the trace files generated for every CPU
> in the system. Initially, the Babeltrace and the TMF both gave errors and
> when I explored the trace folder I found out that they are empty files.The
> metadata and index files do show some contents; however, nothing exists in
> the channelx_x files.
>
> What would be wrong? Please let me know.
>
> Regards,
> Shariyar

The stable Ubuntu packages are currently in a not-so-stable state, so you
will probably want to use the packages from the PPA
<https://launchpad.net/~lttng/+archive/ppa>. Make sure to get the
whole toolchain there, and to cleanly uninstall the packages already
present on your machine to avoid any conflicts.

Regards,
Antoine Busque.