[lttng-dev] [Patch LTTng-ust 6/7] Add the macros to generate the data structures for CTF named enumerations

Stefan Seefeld stefan_seefeld at mentor.com
Thu Jan 30 20:55:19 EST 2014

On 01/30/2014 08:37 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> [...]

Mathieu,

I may be misunderstanding what you intend to relabel as "global type
declarations", but I believe the term is too restrictive.
I'm following this discussion with interest, as I have another use-case
for meta-data which might be implementable very much like the named
enums: constant or "event-static" fields. For example, we may want to
store numeric values in events that need a (constant) scale factor (a
unit of measurement), which would be well represented in meta-data, as
opposed to redundantly inside events.
And so, while I agree to your characterization of named enumerations as
type declarations, I'm still looking at the mechanism as enabling the
storage of named meta-data.

Thanks,
        Stefan

--