[lttng-dev] Extract lttng trace from kernel coredump

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Sat Jan 18 14:00:50 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----

You can use the flight recorder mode in recent LTTng for this (2.3 and
newer). It simply writes to memory, without any output. I understand that
you want to create a contiguous ring buffer memory layout. However, you
have to be aware that this will probably be done using either

a) statically allocated memory at boot time (not very flexible),
b) vmalloc() (very flexible, but can triggers minor page faults, which
   can interact badly with page fault instrumentation. vmalloc() space
   is often limited by a kernel boot time parameter, and is putting
   quite important limitations on systems with 32-bit address spaces).

> But I am certainly open to suggestions on how to do this, and happy to
> have anything included back into the mainline.
>
> And I'm still learning about the internals of LTT.

One option would be to modify the tool to understand the LTTng 2.x buffer
layout by stitching pages together by software using the LTTng
libringbuffer "subbuffer table". You can think of it as a 2-level page
table, but one level indexes the sub-buffers, and the next level indexes
the pages within a sub-buffer.

A good way to understand its layout is to look at:

lttng-modules (master)
lib/ringbuffer/ring_buffer_backend.c

lib_ring_buffer_backend_allocate()

lib/ringbuffer/backend_types.h

struct lib_ring_buffer_backend
struct lib_ring_buffer_backend_subbuffer
struct lib_ring_buffer_backend_pages
struct lib_ring_buffer_backend_page

In your case, you never care about the bufb->buf_rsb (read-side owned subbuffer),
because you always ever just write into it. buf_rsb is only useful when taking
snapshots.

bufb->buf_wsb[] has the mapping from sub-buffers write-side index within
the buffer to the associated index into bufb->array[], which allows getting the
actual sub-buffers and memory pages associated to each buffer.

You'll notice that the "id" field within struct lib_ring_buffer_backend_subbuffer
is actually made of a mask of many fields. In order to understand how to use it,
see

lib/ringbuffer/backend_types.h

where we provide helpers to get and set the various information elements
contained within the "id" field. See subbuffer_id*() functions and comments
surrounding them.

So you'll need to use the structures presented above to make sense of the memory
layout of a buffer, and reorganize it into a CTF file that can be read by
Babeltrace or other CTF trace readers.

The algorithm you want to end up doing (offline, on a vmcore) is pretty much
the same as grabbing an online snapshot (iterate from the consumer position up to
the producer position, see lib/ringbuffer/frontend.h:ib_ring_buffer_snapshot() ).
You will need an extra trick to handle the sub-buffer that was being written to
at the time of the crash, by using the

lib/ringbuffer/frontend_types.h struct commit_counters_hot "seq" field

which is designed to track the contiguously committed data within the currently
written buffer. This can be used at any point in time (whenever a crash occurs) to
populate the last sub-buffer's content size, packet size, see:

lttng-ring-buffer-client.h: client_buffer_end()

and find out how much of the last sub-buffer needs to be copied into the output
CTF trace.