[lttng-dev] baddr feature triggers deadlock in lttng-ust

Woegerer, Paul Paul_Woegerer at mentor.com
Fri Feb 28 04:33:07 EST 2014

Hi Mathieu,

this is very unfortunate. I tested forks as well but couldn’t find any
issues on x86_64. Ironically, last week we found an issue that matches
your description on PowerPC but since we could not reproduce it on x86 I
blamed it on the peculiarities of that platform and worked on seemingly
higher priority issues instead.

For the sake of damage containment I just posted:
http://lists.lttng.org/pipermail/lttng-dev/2014-February/022494.html
to the list.

Not having that feature in 2.4 (at least in the experimental form
suggested above) would be a disaster for us.

Meanwhile I'm trying to think about a more fundamental solution to the
problem. But I'm afraid your comment about rethinking of the locking
strategy for the entire UST might come true.

Thanks,
Paul

--
Paul Woegerer, SW Development Engineer